so i'm poking around and i see this pickup that perplexes me... the benedetto b7... it's a 7 string humbucker designed for jazz... alnico v magnet and 14.05k dcr...

one would assume from first glance that something with that much dcr wouldn't be suited for jazz but from what i read it's the best jazz pup out there... any idea how the dcr is so high yet would retain enough clarity for jazz playing??? I'd think something with that much DCR wouldn't have enough bass output for the 7th string... maybe i'm wrong... (hence the reason i'm asking the forum)
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
So, generally speaking, I'm a lurker but I had to come out and say something. First I want to point out that most pickup makers say that DCR is irrelevent when voicing pickups. You can have high DCR and low output or low DCR with high output. The bass and treble and output are a combination of materials used, shape, size, and magnetic pull. DCR is just the side effect of lots of wire.

Judging by your question you are showing your inexperience; you actually need to go out and do the kind of research that's needed before you can call yourself a professional pickup maker. It's an art that takes research and work. You can't expect to get all the answers from other people, craftsmen like rockmonkey, Dave Stephens and Wolfie McCloud who HAVE put in the time and effort to produce a great line of products and not put forth any time or effort to design your own.

From what I read, these guys have worked unpaid and at a loss for years before they have enough experience and skill to produce a superior line of pickups. You can't get to the same level of craftsmanship they've earned without putting in the time and research yourself. There's no substitute for experience. Maybe you should spend a while winding some 7 string pickups yourself and see what results you get?
wow. I have to agree. This is pretty simple stuff, especially for someone with a website that advertises they are selling custom pickups.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
I know the whole thing about DCR and that there are too many variables to make it a viable way of measuring the output of a pickup because of things like magnet type, inductance, etc.

But DCR is a product of the number of turns on a pickup relative to the thickness of the wire. More turns on a coil gives more output, generally speaking, but also results in a higher DCR... correct? And wouldn't a pickup with a lot of turns result in a fair amount of midrange boost?

I've been making 6 string pickups for a little while now and have had some great results. I'm going to be working on 7 string pickups as well. I just asked for a little clarification - not a reverse engineering nor a bashing. I'm actually working on prototyping different styles and recipes for pickups and building a test rig to use to verify my designs but like I said, I have a couple good designs and a few very happy customers. Could I use a little more information at times? Absolutely.

blah... a simple question turned flame fest... have your fun with it I guess. I'll just go back to my lowly 80k a year job and cry about the fact that I had a simple question about something I was unsure about...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Oct 24, 2008,