I'm been trying to get a decent shred tone, but i think i'm missing something. hammer-ons, pull-off, and taps all lose sustain. Theres no flow.
My setup is Gibson SG faded special w/ emg 81bridge 85neck(9v)>boss mt2 metalzone>crate vfx5212 tube amp (50watt). anyone have any ideas?
is it just your hammerons. pulloffs and taps that are loosing sustain? purhaps it's your technique?
Guitars:
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson Explorer New Century
Gibson RD Artist
Fender American Standard Telecaster

Amps:

Framus Cobra
Marshall JCM800 2203 - 1960A

Pedals:

Crybaby 535Q
Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive
It's guaranteed to be sloppy, undefined technique.

Also, a higher action and not having the pickups raised so high can really help with note clarity. I know most people wanting to shred think the pickusp shoudl be as high as possible for max output and the strings should be as low as posisble for speed, but high action can be just as fast if you take the time to get used to it, and the sound really does become much more defined when your strings are high and your pickups are low.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
could be. but even when playing scales i hear every note picked. i'm going for for that flow where everything kinda runs together like EVH. i thought maybe its the gear or setup
Quote by sland1984
I'm been trying to get a decent shred tone, but i think i'm missing something. hammer-ons, pull-off, and taps all lose sustain. Theres no flow.
My setup is Gibson SG faded special w/ emg 81bridge 85neck(9v)>boss mt2 metalzone>crate vfx5212 tube amp (50watt). anyone have any ideas?

There's your problem right there. Shred is all about clarity, that pedal is a fuzzy, nasal, insdistinct box of noisy crap.

Throw it away and buy yourself an overdrive pedal and an EQ.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
looking for a good setup for shred as far as string height, pickup height, neck relief etc.
Those things don't really matter, and they're not going to solve your problems anyway because that pedal is the root of them....anything beyond that is just a technique issue and you simply need to practice.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
There's your problem right there. Shred is all about clarity, that pedal is a fuzzy, nasal, insdistinct box of noisy crap.

Throw it away and buy yourself an overdrive pedal and an EQ.

Its true, VERY TRUE

Get yourself a Big Muff and a good EQ
Quote by MightyAl
Isn't it odd, that Iron Man is a superhero, whereas "iron, woman!" is a command?

EAT MY ASS AND BALLS.
I'm sure technique is part of it when shredding, but let me give an example. the intro riff to metallicas breadfan is one of my favs because its simple and sounds sweet. however the hammers from d to e sound as if the gain of turned down but still heavily distorted . E note is not as loud as the D note therefore it doesn't sound like it flows together.
Besides the action/pickup height possibility, perhaps you could try a compressor/sustainer in the signal path. It might help bring some beef to the hammer-on/pull-off business.