About a week or so ago, I finished a song I spent roughly a month working on. It is a very complex song with multiple sections that vary a lot in dynamics and mood and includes about 10 time signature changes. I presented the song to one of the bands I'm in and they really liked it, but there is a problem. They all have little to no knowledge of theory, which I didn't think would be much of a problem considering they're all good musicians otherwise, but I tried to teach part of it to the other guitarist and he seemed to struggle with it. Plus, I have the feeling the song would take awhile to learn regardless.

I've thought about dropping the song and saving it for another band, but the other members really want to do it. I anticipate that at least a month will be spent on perfecting the song (we only practice once or twice a week, so that would be roughly 5-6 practices) and I figured we would practice one section at a time then piece everything together.

My question is, is this a good strategy and what are some other tips in order to teach them the song faster and more efficiently?
This happens to me all the time. Just keep working on it, Write it down and print it out so he can work on it at home. And keep to it. You will feel great in the end.
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Break it down...
like... piece 1, piece 2, piece 1+2, piece 3, piece 1+2+3... you know..
to kinda get the middle sections right, instead of just having 10 pieces of music, totally unconnected i would do it that way, and every teacher I've ever had, have been doing it that way.

And after reading the post above this :
Yeah, if you succeed, you will feel ****ing awesome, when the band is playing YOUR song

/Eclipse for life!
Esp Eclipse II VTB :i i fucking love her.
Gold and black on 1 guitar = succes
Last edited by Trixxr at Oct 24, 2008,
Quote by Trixxr
Break it down...
like... piece 1, piece 2, piece 1+2, piece 3, piece 1+2+3... you know..
to kinda get the middle sections right, instead of just having 10 pieces of music, totally unconnected i would do it that way, and every teacher I've ever had, have been doing it that way.

And after reading the post above this :
Yeah, if you succeed, you will feel ****ing awesome, when the band is playing YOUR song

/Eclipse for life!

ZOMG U ahve an eclipse too1!?!?!?!? There mega sex ayes!
ESP Eclipse-II VTB (With 18v Mod)
Randall RG75
Tapco Mix60
New Zealand
Put it into Guitar Pro or Powertab. That way they can take it home and practice getting the timing right, and it means that you can all come back to the practice knowing your own parts, roughly anyway. Then you can play it, and get used to playing it as part of a group.
Do the measures out for each part
Learn one section at a time
How long did you think it took for Metallica to learn Orion or Master. There's no way they just simply played it in one take.
i hate learning songs during rehearal time, cost too much money, tab it out and send it to them with midi as well if you have to, better they know 80% when you get there rather than 0
All of the above, and record it as an mp3 to email to them so they know what it sounds like and can play with it at home.

Rehersal time should be used for practice, not learning songs.
I would say, just take as long as you need to get it right. When you play it to everyone correctly and well and how you envisioned it, it'll be that much better to hear.