Not sure if this is in the right place, but whatever.

I've been playing about 12 years, I was taking lessons for the first two years, and got pretty good.

Then the guitar went under the stairs and wasn't touched for a while. I then got it out and mucked about on it for years. Since last year i've been 'serious' with my playing, getting up about grade 5 level from barely being a grade 1.

My question is, i want to do the theory side exams too.
Plus being able to utilise theory in my playing.

Now for my question;

I can sit down with paper and write down my theory, but i can't memorize it and applying it to my guitar has so far proved futile.

Any tips on how i can memorize notes on guitar, plus how to actually apply it to my soloing, chords and general playing?

EDIT: Sorry about poor grammar and articulation, i've not slept for about three days.
Learn scales, im not talking pentatonics and that kind of shit, the proper major and minor scales, start by running C major up and down the neck, it might take a while of sitting there counting the frets from the open string note, but after a while you get the hand of it.

Im kind of in the same boat as you, ive done up to grade 3 theory pretty well, going on to grade 4 soon, but now ive actually started AS level music im finding my theory knowledge alot more usefull and i can apply it to my guitar playing much better.

Once you know your scales, and know where the notes are, itll all fall into place, this is the exact reason i never did grades for guitar.

"Rock guitar" applies no real use of theory so it was utterly pointless to me, and the classical guitar grades are just totally not what i wanted to do, and once again, even though you learn theory from it, its hard to apply that kind of theory into modern guitar playing, plus classical guitar grades had to be done on a classical guitar, which is really a totally different beast really.
Quote by beckyjc
Learn scales, im not talking pentatonics and that kind of shit, the proper major and minor scales, start by running C major up and down the neck, it might take a while of sitting there counting the frets from the open string note, but after a while you get the hand of it.

Im kind of in the same boat as you, ive done up to grade 3 theory pretty well, going on to grade 4 soon, but now ive actually started AS level music im finding my theory knowledge alot more usefull and i can apply it to my guitar playing much better.

Once you know your scales, and know where the notes are, itll all fall into place, this is the exact reason i never did grades for guitar.

"Rock guitar" applies no real use of theory so it was utterly pointless to me, and the classical guitar grades are just totally not what i wanted to do, and once again, even though you learn theory from it, its hard to apply that kind of theory into modern guitar playing, plus classical guitar grades had to be done on a classical guitar, which is really a totally different beast really.

dude are you kidding? of course rock guitar applies theory
Becky, rock guitar applies theory, generally. Most musicians need it, or they end up sounding like sh*t.

Anyway, I'm starting learning theory too. Here's something's to help:
Major Scale Formula: Whole step/Whole step/Half step/Whole step/Whole step/Whole step/Half step
And also, go buy "The Complete Idiot's Guide To Music Theory", it's actually really helpful. I have a copy on my desk right now lol.
7-String Legion
Quote by TheJem
Justice4AllOne pretty much mentioned all of my ideas so yeah...pointless pun post.

Quote by MightySumo
Thanks fer settin me straight on that Justice

Quote by oneblackened
I was thinking that too, Justice usually seems like a pretty knowledgeable guy.
I've got all the theory books i need, i'm just finding it hard memorising it all. Maybe once i know all the notes on my guitar it'll sink into place a bit better. I've found that saying notes as i play them is starting to help with that.