Just got a problem with feedback from my guitar and my practice amp. The guitar is an Ibanez RG350EX and the amp is a Peavey Rage 158 (practice amp!)

For some reason, I occaisonally get feedback ringing through the amp. Only happens about once every 10 uses, and usually only when I'm standing up and playing. My old guitar (starter magnum...) got it a fair bit more than the new guitar though. Seems to be ringing through the low E string (but sometimes others), as when I touch it, it is vibrating and as soon as I mute it, the feedback cuts out.

Any idea's why this may be?
Cheers
how far are you standing from your amp? The problem could be as simple as that
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
i have a rg350DX and i have never gotten feedback once on my shitty 20watt storm practice amp
Quote by Fred1000000
Retards are God's way of telling you you could be worse off, AND entertaining you at the same time!
Quote by Cowfish13
Just got a problem with feedback from my guitar and my practice amp. The guitar is an Ibanez RG350EX and the amp is a Peavey Rage 158 (practice amp!)

For some reason, I occaisonally get feedback ringing through the amp. Only happens about once every 10 uses, and usually only when I'm standing up and playing. My old guitar (starter magnum...) got it a fair bit more than the new guitar though. Seems to be ringing through the low E string (but sometimes others), as when I touch it, it is vibrating and as soon as I mute it, the feedback cuts out.

Any idea's why this may be?
Cheers

It's happening because you're letting the low E ring, simple as. There's nothing wrong, it's just normal feedback - stand further away from the amp and/or face away from it
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
It's happening because you're letting the low E ring, simple as. There's nothing wrong, it's just normal feedback - stand further away from the amp and/or face away from it

The seagull who is not a seagull is correct again, how do you keep beating me to these?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
So that's a normal thing to happen? Because after I mute it, even if I take my finger off slowely and by sliding it off across the brifge (ie to stop me plucking it even slightely) it begins again.

I usually stand about 3m away from the amp, generally not facing it though.
Martin: Next time it happens, I'll give that a go

Not a massive problem, but gets a little annoying
Cheers for the replies so far
Quote by Cowfish13
So that's a normal thing to happen? Because after I mute it, even if I take my finger off slowely and by sliding it off across the brifge (ie to stop me plucking it even slightely) it begins again.

I usually stand about 3m away from the amp, generally not facing it though.
Martin: Next time it happens, I'll give that a go

Not a massive problem, but gets a little annoying
Cheers for the replies so far

Feedback is a physical effect - it happens when you play at high volumes. What happens is the sound waves from the speaker physically cause the strings to vibrate more, this in turn generates more signal which is boosted by the amp causing more, stronger soundwaves from the speaker which vibrate the strings more etc etc...it's called feedback because the amp's output, the physical energy of the soundwaves, is literally feeding back into the amp.

It's made worse by playing at high levels of gain or with a poorly shielded guitar...damping a string stops it vibrating and therefore stops feedback. It doesn't take a lot to start it off, if you have a well set up guitar then just moving around abit or even breathing can be enough to set off vibrations in the strings.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com