Im just curious, how'd do you bassist's play constant 16th note's for long period's of time with out your arm going tense?

I know you need to practice, but is there any method of rapidly picking with out causing tension in your forearm?
Black Knight CF-60F Semi-Acoustic.

Black Knight CP200 (Red flamed maple).

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
practice
Originally Posted by smb
I'm an arrogant bastard - I thought I was good before I'd plucked a note. I was right, of course.

Quote by MetalBass 77
sonsie knows all
just basically all practice me thinks. At least thats how i've been learning it.
You have to practice to build up stamina and do the opposite of what is happening to you, keep your hands and arms fluid and relaxed.
You have to practice. Also 3 finger technique helps as well.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Start slow, speed will come. Just stay relaxed at all times, and over time you will get faster and faster.

Took me weeks and weeks to get Kuru up to speed. I still need to be warmed right up to play that bastard and i still cant play it for the 64 bars solid like Jaco. That mofo was a goddamn synthetic droid
Thank's guys.. i know i need to practice, i just was wondering how you's play constant 16th notes, i.e. pick, finger, multiple fingers..

Im learning two song's and they have lot's of 16th note's and i want to record them ASAP, so i guess ill get practicing my arse off!

applehead: Edit: i miss read your post lol.. thought you said playing 64th notes lol.

Also when im playing 16th's, i count 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & and then repeat, i just find it quicker and easier.. plus if im playing a bar that is split i find it easier., is that a bad way to go about it?

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488
1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & and then repeat, i just find it quicker and easier

isnt that for 8ths, i was taught 1 e and a 2 e and a.... for 16ths
Guitar
Ibanez - S5470F
Epiphone - Les Paul Black Beauty
Line 6 - Spider II 210 - deceased :/
Blackstar HT studio 20
Farida D-8

Bass
Fender MIM Jazz
Ashdown ABM C115T-500 EVO II
yea it's for 8th note's, but i just count it twice over.. instead of going 1 ee and aa etc etc.. i guessi should start doing it like that..

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have to practice. Also 3 finger technique helps as well.

+1

3 finger technique helped me a ****load. I personally think my endurance AND my consistency are better with 3 fingers than with 2...

But it takes a bit of practice to get your ring finger near the same level your index and middle finger are on... Using your ring finger feels unusual at first, but its worth the practice.

Practice slow and start with simple quarter notes, all played on the same string. We don't need the left hand at all.
Basically, what you want to do is playing a 3213 2132 1321 sequence. 3 is the ring finger, 2 is the middle finger, 1 is the index finger.

At first, it will sound like triads (because you now use 3 fingers in a system based on 2). Now work on the accentuation. Lay the accent on 1st quarter note.
Because the finger with which you accent this note shifts with each bar, you have to work on that.
Fat numbers are the accentuating fingers.
3213 2132 1321 3213

If you have that down, your picking will sound more fluently and less triad-like.

PS: If your ring finger doesn't do what you want it to do, don't worry. It takes some time. For me, it took about a month until I could somehow play songs with it.
Last edited by Nashrakh at Oct 24, 2008,
Turn the volume on your amp up, and play with the lightest touch required. It gives far more efficiency than aggressively playing, as a lot of people (myself included) do most of the time.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
The teachings of Steven Harris are what brought me to my 16th note flurries. Just practice a helluva lot. It'll come to ye. I still can't use my third finger and probably never will...I sense it will disturb me in the future...
as the others have said slowely but surely it will come
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Thank's for all the feedback, i really appreicate it

Nashrakh: thank's man, that will help me to no end! i wasnt sure what the 3 finger technique was, but that has explained it very well and that excercise, well im doing it right now, it is quite wierd at first, very hard to do it fast, so will take my time and build up speed and strength.

It is ok to hold my thumb on the string above it to mute that strine?
since i cant seem to find away to pull off hard and make a sound with out hitting the other string.

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488

Nashrakh: thank's man, that will help me to no end! i wasnt sure what the 3 finger technique was, but that has explained it very well and that excercise, well im doing it right now, it is quite wierd at first, very hard to do it fast, so will take my time and build up speed and strength.

As said, it takes some time. Make sure you go slow, because with precision comes speed.
Quote by Daniel8488

It is ok to hold my thumb on the string above it to mute that strine?
since i cant seem to find away to pull off hard and make a sound with out hitting the other string.

Are you talking about your fretting or your plucking hand?

If you're talking about your plucking hand, well... I do the same. It's called "thumb trailing" or "floating thumb". A perfectly fine tech for muting.
Nashrakh: yea im going to practice slowly with my metronome and then work my way up

ah right thank's for the conformation, i was sure if i was suppose to lift my finger vertically (so it didnt touch any string's) or if i could bring it off at an angle and mute the above string's.

Also another question, could i use my pinky with this technique? i can ring the string's just as loud as i can with my other three finger's.

Neck-thru 4 string bass.

Acoustic 6 string.
Quote by Daniel8488

Also another question, could i use my pinky with this technique? i can ring the string's just as loud as i can with my other three finger's.

If you can, then do it...

Using 4 fingers could be easier because its binary not tertiary (means its based in a system of 2, not 3).

I can't do it myself because my pinky is so short

The downside of 4 fingers: Now you have 2 fingers more to control... which is more complicated in terms of finger independence. Have fun switching strings with THAT fluently... 3 fingers is a pain in the *** already

When using four fingers, building up enough strength for both the ring finger and pinky may be your primary goal. Go slow with a metronome, you know the deal.

Playing the chromatic scale (you know, the 1234 thingy) up and down the neck helps a lot, too... especially for the 3 finger technique because you have to switch strings with different fingers, as well...

For finger independence, try using your fingers in groups for exercises.
When using the 3 finger tech, pair up 1 and 2, 2 and 3, and 1 and 3.
When using the 4 finger tech, pair up 1 and 2, 1 and 3, 1 and 4, 2 and 3, 2 and 4, 3 and 4 (you see, a lot more pairings with 4 fingers).

Play your scales with each of this pairing to help your right hand finger independence and build up strength in ring f and pinky. As you might already guess, the 3 and 4 pairing is especially tricky...
Practice some Iron Maiden, Steve Harris' basslines help build some major stamina, especially The Trooper, Run to the Hills, Killers, Phantom of the Opera, and others of the like.
Quote by !!NICK!!!
isnt that for 8ths, i was taught 1 e and a 2 e and a.... for 16ths

same here
Practice and build endurance.

For example, this video at 3:39

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbPorrmjWHM

A result of practice.
Quote by FbSa
Back in the 70's I decided to take all the frets off Jaco's Bass thinking he would play worse. Man did that backfire.

[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']FUCK YES.

GSAWS, I LOVE YOU.