I used to own a Gibson LP Custom 68, with '57 pick ups. Loved its warm, beefy sound and tons of sustain. Hated its weight (5Kg) and sticky neck (at the back).

Would I like an SG?

I am really looking for a fast and comfortable neck and a beefy sound for blues, classic / hard rock.

Thanks
well, it would definitely be lighter, which may or may not be good since SG's are neck heavy, but heres the thing, if you thought the neck on the les paul was sticky due to the lacquered finish, itll probably be the same thing on an SG. otherwise, the SG's can have relatively slim necks. ive heard the 61 reissue SG has 57 classic pickups and a slightly thinner neck than SG standards. otherwise, you could go the way of fender, with an american fat strat, so you could still have the gumbucker, but without the weight and superlacqued neck.
note this is all coming from a gibson les paul lover.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I have owned both les pauls and SGs and I have to say I much prefer the beefier sound of the les paul. The SG is much lighter but it still has a lacquered neck and the tone is more bright and jangly. If you're looking for a lighter les paul, try the epiphone eliteist or a chambered gibson model.
Quote by griffRG7321
become a circumsizer, you get like £60,000 a year + tips.

Quote by Flying Couch
Because I'm not aerodynamic. All the other airborne furniture laugh at me.

LIKE PORTISHEAD?
Quote by Sirakov
I used to own a Gibson LP Custom 68, with '57 pick ups. Loved its warm, beefy sound and tons of sustain. Hated its weight (5Kg) and sticky neck (at the back).

Would I like an SG?

I am really looking for a fast and comfortable neck and a beefy sound for blues, classic / hard rock.

Thanks
The impressions posted so far can only provide what other individuals liked or disliked about it.

The best and only option when deciding to buy or not buy is to discover how a guitar plays and sounds ... audition it for an hour or so, through an amp that's exactly what you already own or plan to buy. Something that someone considers a fat neck may be perfect for you, etc.

i had a much easier time playing sg. right now i don't even touch my les paul anymore. in fact its been sitting in its case at the studio for the last 2 month. your are going to get alot of mix reviews here but from my experience i favor the sg over lp.
All the SG I've tried are quite neck heavy. Maybe I'm just too used to the heavy body of the LP
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Thanks for all your answers so far. As I expected, a mixed bag in terms of opinions.
To me the sticky laquered finish was the single most irritating thing I have ever experienced with a guitar. To have that on a top of the range LP was inexuseable and that's why the LP had to go.
Now, to find that this is also an issue on the SGs is not good news.

More questions (as a esult of your answers):

1. How about those "worn" finishes. Would a "faded" SG neck be better than a laquered one?

2. Also, some people here commented that the sound of the SG is not as beefy as the sound of the LP. Is this a pick-up driven comparison or a a body mass driven comparison?

3. When you say the SG is neck heavy, do you mean that it leans more towards your fretting hand (I am struggling to understand how more neck heavy can influence your playing)...

Thanks
Last edited by Sirakov at Oct 24, 2008,
1. they are alright. but wayy overpriced since they are 800 now. when i had mine it was 579.
to me a lacquered neck feels faster but if you perfer the unfinished ones then you should look into these. or you can sand down the neck.

2. its a body mass driven comparison. any guitar with a large chunk of wood for body will have a lot of sustain and tone. but nothing a quick eq in the amp that can't be fixed

3. it doesn't influence your playing. it just tend to have its head stock dive to the ground since the strap button is located in a unbalanced place. but that problem can be solved by using a rough fatted leather strap. causing friction on your shoulder. i haven't personally experience that problem on my sg standard. but i seen alot of ppl with lower models complained about it and many bandwagons.