Hi all

I am thinking of writing a book about a chord sequence!

In 1978 a Bristish band called The Only Ones released a single 'Another Girl Another Planet'. It used the sequence E B C#m A repeatedly (one bar of each).

For the technically minded, the sequence is Tonic, Dominant, Relative Minor (of the tonic), Sub-Dominant.

So we are talking:

C G Am F, or G D Em C or D A Bm G --- you get the picture I am sure.

'So Lonely' by The Police came out later the same year, using the same sequence (although probably in another key - I haven't checked.)

Nowadays this sequence seems to be everywhere, in rock songs, country songs, R&B and even Christian worship songs. Nickelback seem partiularly fond of it!

A classic example would be 'With or Without You' by U2.

To help me with my research for this (and you can have a credit if I ever get it written), please could forum members who feel like it give me the names (and artists) of any songs you know that use that basic chord sequence (could be in 2/4 or 4/4, or any other time signature for that matter!).

Of particular interest are songs written before 1978, as they will undermine my thesis that Peter Perret was the originator of the sequence.

Hope someone replies!

thanks

Matt Gale, London, UK. 24th Oct 2008
Quote by szekelymihai

wait what?

D A Bm G is not canon
unless you mean his message which is everysong sounds the same haha. which i clearly missed when you linked it
love that vid btw haha
Quote by Sloopy
I'm not in a wheelchair, but I own one just for fun.
Last edited by hyroglyph!c at Oct 24, 2008,
Quote by hyroglyph!c
wait what?

D A Bm G is not canon
unless you mean his message which is everysong sounds the same haha. which i clearly missed when you linked it
love that vid btw haha

yeah i was doing the second thing you said
i alos love it