uhh.... in acoustic guitars.. wood is EVERYTHING. An acoustic guitar is just a vibrating wood box.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Wood. If you have high quality wood, chances are that your guitar actually sounds decent.

Think about it like this. Electronics just try to amplify the sound of your guitar. A crappy guitar will still sound like crap through good electronics.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
But dont go for bottom of the line electronics either............
As usual you have to find a balance....... but i would suggest going for better wood, electronics can be replaced later on. Wood cant. [ Unless you replace the guitar atleast :S ]
I've heard the laminated wood on cheaper acoustic guitars don't give as much feedback as solid wood...and then well made acoustic guitars are better off being mic'd up than plugged in. What you really want is tons of money to have lots of gear to try out for any situation you might possibly be in for the best sound.... Just disregard the last statement. With better wood, solid back and sides, usually come better craftsmanship..and you can't beat that. You can always fine tune the sound through equipment but playing on a nice american made guitar f'n rocks. Save up $1500-2000 and then blow it on one guitar that will take you all day to choose.
yeah... i've though about it - if i had really lots of money, i'd better buy a full-body acoustic for the best sound unplugged and a good mic - this would have been the best. but i need sth closer to reality - i cant work with rather good income in my age (at least in our country), so i can spend much less money
yes, and i often need a cutaway - and most cutaway guitars go with pickups

so far using guitar with pickup is far more comfortable
plus
i believe a $500 guitar is ok for upper-intermediate player like me
Come on buddy, you have $500 now, keep saving till you have 800 - 1000, in the mean time apply for a credit card to establish some credit, which is good, seach for a guitar that you will be able to play - dont purchase over the net, then finance the whole thing, make the first payment ww w wii with all your savings, and then you'll have a low monthly payment for the remaining amount and a kickass guantana.
Quote by srch412
Come on buddy, you have $500 now, keep saving till you have 800 - 1000, in the mean time apply for a credit card to establish some credit, which is good, seach for a guitar that you will be able to play - dont purchase over the net, then finance the whole thing, make the first payment ww w wii with all your savings, and then you'll have a low monthly payment for the remaining amount and a kickass guantana.

A credit card?
Isn't that really the last thing he'd want/need? Afterall, wasn't excess borrowing the cause of this so called 'Credit crunch'?

Save up the old fashioned way and make do with what you have now. This way you won't regret purchasing a guitar then later finding one you like even more but can't afford.

But yes, go for better wood. If you find a really nice one (thats just above your budget) go for it, you can change the electronics later if you need to. In the long run it will be better.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.