I want to play clean stuff (Eagles, Neil Young), classic rock (GnR, VH, Rush), and early metal (Metallica) all at bedroom level volumes. I play a lot late at night and gotta keep it down a bit. I don’t gig at all and I’m not really planning to at the moment. After several posts here and some really great advice, I’ve narrowed it down to these two choices:

Flextone III with an FBV Express footboard
--or--
Killer Ant, 1X12 Killer Cab, and a high-quality OD or distortion pedal (maybe more than one actually)

So, for the groups I’ve described above, which of these two amps would give me the sound I’m looking for at bedroom volumes? I almost bought the Killer Ant last night but I’m worried that I’ll only end up with one general tone out of that thing and it might not be close enough to the metal stuff I want to play sometimes. I’ve played both amps already. The cleans on the KA blow away the Flextone cleans but I haven’t been able to play any pedals through the KA and I’m thinking the metal amp models on the Flextone are gonna blow away the KA distortion, so I’m a bit confused at this point.
Killer Ant ...
Flextone is good too but these are modelling amps ... Killer Ant is a tube amp..

EDIT : HEADPHONES for late night playing ftw
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Quote by IKnowItsWrong
Killer Ant ...
Flextone is good too but these are modelling amps ... Killer Ant is a tube amp..

EDIT : HEADPHONES for late night playing ftw

Quote by stevem326
I want to play clean stuff (Eagles, Neil Young), classic rock (GnR, VH, Rush), and early metal (Metallica) all at bedroom level volumes.

Flextone. It sounds better anyway IMO.
Thanks for the replies so far but do you think I’ll be able to get enough sustain and distortion with the KA compared to the Flextone? I’m planning to use really good pedals with the KA (Fulltone OCD, Metal Muff, Blackstar DIST-X, Jekyl & Hyde...one of those probably). The KA breaks up into a decent classic rock tone at around 5 or 6 without a pedal but I’m worried that I won’t be able to get the sustain that the Flextone has in its metal amp models (even with a pedal on the KA).
Personally, I'd go for the Flextone.

It's much more versatile for what you want to play on it and is loud enough for gigs if you ever need it. It sounds like you're a little more concerned about the heavier distortion on it, which the KA isn't voiced for, the Flextone will almost certainly sound better for it. It takes a lot of tweaking to get the Line 6 amps to sound awesome, but when you do, I think you might end up liking it more than the KA.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Personally, I'd go for the Flextone.

It's much more versatile for what you want to play on it and is loud enough for gigs if you ever need it. It sounds like you're a little more concerned about the heavier distortion on it, which the KA isn't voiced for, the Flextone will almost certainly sound better for it. It takes a lot of tweaking to get the Line 6 amps to sound awesome, but when you do, I think you might end up liking it more than the KA.

Yeh, see that's the thing. A lot of what I play is clean to classic so the KA would be the best choice for that. But I definitely want to have a tone that has a decent amount of crunch and sustain and I'm just not sure the KA can get there (even with a good pedal or two). So, that makes me wanna go with the Flextone. The cleans on the Flextone aren't bad...it's just the cleans on the KA are better (but I could still be happy with the cleans on the Flextone). I'm just thinking the Bogner and Mesa Boogie models on the Flextone are gonna give me more of a Metallica tone than the KA with a Distortion or OD pedal.
Quote by Horlicks
Flextone. It sounds better anyway IMO.
Exactly.

Listen to the youtube demos of the ant from people other than the official trailer guy, they're torrid.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by stevem326
Yeh, see that's the thing. A lot of what I play is clean to classic so the KA would be the best choice for that. But I definitely want to have a tone that has a decent amount of crunch and sustain and I'm just not sure the KA can get there (even with a good pedal or two). So, that makes me wanna go with the Flextone. The cleans on the Flextone aren't bad...it's just the cleans on the KA are better (but I could still be happy with the cleans on the Flextone). I'm just thinking the Bogner and Mesa Boogie models on the Flextone are gonna give me more of a Metallica tone than the KA with a Distortion or OD pedal.
IMO the flextone sounds universally better and would do at bedroom levels - you won't get any sort of metal tone at all out of the ant, and barely any distortion as well at that. Especially at bedroom volumes. The Flextones sound good, get one.
IMO i would still rather have a small tube amp. play a VJ with a EQ pedal, reverb, od, and a metal muff see what ya think. read how cheap and easy they are to mod. good luck with your search!
Quote by mmjohn
IMO i would still rather have a small tube amp. play a VJ with a EQ pedal, reverb, od, and a metal muff see what ya think. read how cheap and easy they are to mod. good luck with your search!
Meh, I have a VJ that i've modded and attempted to use with external pedals, and meh it really doesn't sound that good. I'd rather have a Flextone any day.
Quote by MrCarrot
Meh, I have a VJ that i've modded and attempted to use with external pedals, and meh it really doesn't sound that good. I'd rather have a Flextone any day.

i'm not sure you've done things right then? mine and other i've heard and help work on sound great!
Quote by mmjohn
i'm not sure you've done things right then? mine and other i've heard and help work on sound great!
Of course i've done things right.

My hypothesis is they sound good as starter tube amps until you start listening to better ones... At which point you realise their numerous inadequacies.
i kinda went in reverse overspent for years and had too much amp for a bedroom player. the VJ is very fun amp IMO.
I have nothing to add except that you said described Neil Young as clean... man, when he's playing electric it's far from clean!
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by MrCarrot
Of course i've done things right.

My hypothesis is they sound good as starter tube amps until you start listening to better ones... At which point you realise their numerous inadequacies.

thats kind of narrow point of view and kinda makes you look like ass to all the people who love their VJ's old and young. but that i guess why we all get an opinion.
low wattage amps don't do as well with pedals as high wattage amps do, so I'd recommend the flextone for jammin' with pedals.
I'd go for the flextone any day frankly. Don't get pulled into the tubes are better for every purpose debate. the flextone sounds great for you
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
Quote by Thefallofman
I have nothing to add except that you said described Neil Young as clean... man, when he's playing electric it's far from clean!

Yeh, that's a great point and I agree. Some of his stuff is mainly clean but he definitely does hit some crazy distorted tones in other songs!
Quote by cmakkidguitar
I'd go for the flextone any day frankly. Don't get pulled into the tubes are better for every purpose debate. the flextone sounds great for you

Thanks. I think this is part of the problem. I've been drawn into the "tubes are always better than S/S" argument.

Yes, tubes do sound better than S/S for sure but in my case (a bedroom amp at low volumes) a S/S modeling amp might make more sense.
Quote by mmjohn
thats kind of narrow point of view and kinda makes you look like ass to all the people who love their VJ's old and young. but that i guess why we all get an opinion.
Not really.
does the killer ant have a headphone jack? any tube amp i've seen doesn't seem to have one.. not to say no tube has a headphone jack. it just seems uncommon.

the flextone would probably be better for your general practice and late night sessions.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by Kivarenn82
does the killer ant have a headphone jack? any tube amp i've seen doesn't seem to have one.. not to say no tube has a headphone jack. it just seems uncommon.

the flextone would probably be better for your general practice and late night sessions.

Nope...no headphone jack on the KA. It's got great cleans and a decent classic rock tone when it starts to break up around 5 or 6 but I think I'm going to go with the Flextone over the KA. I really want a halfway decent metal tone at lower volumes (bedroom) so it sounds like the Flextone is the better choice.

I'm glad I posted here on the forum. You guys are great with all of your knowledge and advice and I really appreciate everyone's time whether you voted for the Flextone or the KA.
To be honest I think the Flextone will get you a better metal tone, period...

KA wasn't made to be versatile unlike the Flextone.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by Raijouta
To be honest I think the Flextone will get you a better metal tone, period...

KA wasn't made to be versatile unlike the Flextone.

Yeh, everything I read about the Flextone says it gives you a pretty decent metal tone (for a S/S modeling amp anyway).

The KA is a good little tube amp but it's probably not the best choice for metal. But it's a great amp for cleans and classic rock or if you're looking for British voicing.