I was wondering if anyone's documented trying to make their own. I have a terrible ear and my guitar turner only tunes to standard tuning, So I was wondering if anyone knows anyone who's tried to make their own. I'd have to imagine it would need stepper motors (or servos) to move the tuning pegs, and be wired internally to "hear" the sound off the pickups, and adjust however.

I'm an EE noob, and yeah. I thought this would be interesting, and I'm curious if I could get some schematics/code from someone who's done it already.

OR

someone can teach me how to tune to different tunings from standard.
(1/2 step down, Drop D, drop C, or that tuning for Kashmir are the tunings I want to learn how to use)
Drop D is easy... just tune your low E string down until it's the same note (different octave, obviously) as your D string... you pluck a harmonic and compare it to the sound of the harmonic on the D string. Typically you can hear the differences in the sound waves because the more out of tune it is the more you'll hear the note "flutter"

the robot guitar idea, while novel, would probably cost way more than you'd want to spend.

do you have a microphone input on your sound card? there are guitar tuner plugins available for your computer...
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
i just de-tune my E string whilst hitting whilst hold 5th fret on the A string, thats a D.

I find it better to do that rarther open D.

But now i can just detune hitting EAD all together till i get DAD, just experience.
yeah... and personally, i think robot guitars are retarded. People are just getting lazy. And while if you did have a circuit attached to the pickups, it would probably be easier to base it off of one of the tuner circuits that tube by the vibrations
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
yeah... and personally, i think robot guitars are retarded. People are just getting lazy.

yeah, it's not like they have a valid use for onstage musicians wanting to change tunings quickly between songs.

I mean the only possible use for the robot guitar is to retune to standard after every song to make sure you're not slightly out of tune. And it's not like it does the same thing as an electronic tuner or anything.

People REALLY need to connect with their guitar by touching the tuning pegs every now and then. anyone who doesn't is a poser and isn't even a true music fan.

TS: you'd save money by just buying a chromatic tuner and learning what the different tunings are.

a robot guitar would require a small onboard computer i.e. a tuner, motors and some programming. for most people's needs an electronic tuner will be the better solution.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
ICANSEEYOU, you really think that trying to make your own self-tuning guitar is lazy? I'm just really, really bad at all things "musical". And hopefully my knowledge in interpreting others' electrical ingenuity will be enough for me to make my own and solve my issue.

Nuthinbuttrubl8, sorry, but you lost me at "octave". And yes--I'm sure that it's going to cost a crapload of money. That's why I want to see if anyone's done it already.

Anthony... that sounds like standard tuning. the 5th fret?

Anyways, I'd like to keep this thread more about electronics and self-tuning guitars and less about me being a moron for not knowing how to tune after playing guitar for a year, and ppl bashing self-tuning guitars 'cuz that's offtopic.

Lemoninfluence: I know that it would need a microcontroller, some programming, and motors. That's why I want it. I love that stuff. More-so than guitar playing. Now I want to expand from analog circuits to microcontrollers. =]
Last edited by imgod22222 at Oct 24, 2008,
no read the post... i said the guitar are, if you wanna spend the time and power figuring out how to wire one of these up go for it.

But the idea behind self tuning guitars... Id rather just tune it myself thank you
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
octave = the same note at a different part on the scale...

like if you hum a low note and then hum the same note at a higher pitch...

a note progression (without sharps/flats)

A B C D E F G A - A and A are the same note, different octave...

example:

open E string... open E and 12th fret are both E but a different octave...

BTW - i'd rather own a wangcaster than a robot guitar... those just scream LOL WUT
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
idk scales. xD When i started playing guitar, I pretty much started reading tabs and playing... and that's still all I can do. The difference between when I started and now are two things: coordination and skill. Like now I can pull off pinch harmonics and gallop strumming. Before I couldn't. But I'm still in the dark when it comes to musical lingo.
In standard is open e three octaves above open E? 'Cause unless its something like that, I'm still lost.

Okay: Self-tuning guitar stuff in the thread. Learning how to tune convos sent via PM plz? I really don't want this thread going offtopic, but I do like what everyone has to say. =] thnx
The system Gibson uses is called "Tronical Powertune". Yes, that's right- It's a third-party mod that had been available for something like a year before Gibson released the robot. Look into that if you want.
Quote by Pikka Bird
The system Gibson uses is called "Tronical Powertune". Yes, that's right- It's a third-party mod that had been available for something like a year before Gibson released the robot. Look into that if you want.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/4951/

The transperformance guitar has been in existence for 16 years

and that article is 3 years old.

robot guitars aren't really new.

I remember seeing an aftermarket system being sold a few years ago, but I dismissed it as I was a beginner and wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
^Wow, I saw that once, but had no idea it was that old... That's wicked. I had forgotten all about it. Anyways, since the topic called for the "Robot guitar", I might as well tell them that it's made with a regular ol' guitar and an off-the shelf product.. I also think the Tronical system is cheaper than a Transperformance + installation.
If you want to make a Robot Guitar, why fanny around with getting one to tune itself?

Build one that plays itself. Now that would be something.

I see something like 4 capos, each with 6 individual clamps, that slide up and down on a runner in the back of the neck. Then at the bridge end, a twin axis doobery, that can slide up and down to pick or strum the fretted strings and even tap.

Better still, build it onto a Gibson Robot.

I bet Ormsby could do it.
Quote by Skeet UK
If you want to make a Robot Guitar, why fanny around with getting one to tune itself?

Build one that plays itself. Now that would be something.

I see something like 4 capos, each with 6 individual clamps, that slide up and down on a runner in the back of the neck. Then at the bridge end, a twin axis doobery, that can slide up and down to pick or strum the fretted strings and even tap.

Better still, build it onto a Gibson Robot.

I bet Ormsby could do it.

Already been done actually I saw it on TV on some educational show. Just google it.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores
waste of time, waste of money. its just not worth it.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
I tune to Drop-D by fretting the 7th fret on the E string and detune until it matches the open A string.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
^I hit the 7th fret harmonic on the E string then the 12th fret harmonic on the A string. Tuning with harmonics is so much easier because the keep ringing when you take your fingers off the strings.
^Thats a good idea. I will definitely try that. It doesnt really bother me to reach over my left arm with my right hand to get to the tuning pegs though, so i'm still fretting the note and the strings ring out.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
it would be awsome to make your own robot guitar. my freind thought hte robot guitars had a giant attachment on the guitar head that tuned the guitar. rofl!
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\
try the ultimate tuning thread, it shows you how to tune to tons of tunings all from standard tuning.
Just call me Bobby
Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list
Quote by mikeyElite
you build guitars worthy of sexual favors

Quote by Invader Jim
if this party gets any livelier a funeral is gonna break out.
Quote by imgod22222
vinc3nt, that was actually my plan. But no one's done it.

well go for it! that would be awsome!
Quote by maiden03
Ahhh damn you vinc3nt!

Downpressor man

Where you gonna run to

All along that day

੧_\\\