Hello guys,
I'm ordering ESP M-II with maple fingerboard and neck and I don't really know what to choose:
-EMGs 81/85
-SDs 59' (neck)/TB
I play instrumental (Malmsteen, Vai, Satch, Romeo) metal but I don't want my guitar to sound to harsh and cruely death metalish.
Which one would be best?
Gettin' better ^_^
They are very very different pickups.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
Noooooo Vs Threads
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
well i can only base my opinion off what ive heard on youtube videos and such lo...but... ive never seen anyone hit satch tone with EMGs. actives have a sweet tone for metal and highs, but lack warmth. again tho, this is just based of youtube videos ive seen (so those people could just have wack settings).
EMG 81/60 set would probably fit you better than the 81/85 then...

Seymour Duncans are also an excellent option, personally I lean towards those anyway. If you don't mind spending some money I'd look into Lace Sensor Drop & Gains... The set costs ~$200 but all the reviews I've read are stellar. Better cleans than the EMGs, arguably better distortion tones than either SD or EMG...

Another option are Dimarzios; they make the signature Satch, Vai (and Malmsteen I believe) pickups and are on par with Seymour Duncan more often than not (in my book).
Those active EMGs are only good for brutal metal and super hi-gain stuffs. The dynamic in tone is almost non-existent on those, sterile and dull. Not to mention you will have to have a good tube amp to be able to bring out the sound.

Passive Seymour Duncan pickups is a better choice for your kind of music and they can do metal just fine.

Classic question: Do you have a good amp?
G͔͓̅e͎͉̟̽ͬ͐̎̃͐ͨͅå͈͖͕̹̤̟̐̏͋ͅr̩͕̫̰̗s̹̳̼ͥ̒̍̄̅ͥ̚:

ESP Standard Eclipse I CTM VW
ESP LTD Deluxe H-1001
ESP LTD Deluxe Viper-1000 STBC
ESP Edwards E-EX-100STD
Warmoth Paulcaster "Tiger"
Tanglewood TW170 AS
Vox Tonelab ST
Blackstar HT-1R

Go with a 81/60 set of Emgs they have better warm sounds and also brutal metal sounds... I have a set in my Les Paul so I know from experience
I would look at Dimarzio pickups for what you are searching. Probably the PAF pro with a Super Distortion could be a good combination or maybe look at Evolution (Vai's signature pickup). You've got ton of options there.
Fender Telecaster Thin Line

(For playing fusion as a solo project)
Ernie Ball VP Jr
Vox Wah
Korg DT-10 Tuner
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Mxr Phase 90
Electro Harmonix Small Clone
Boss DD6 Digital Delay
I bought an ESP Eclipse II earlier this year. It came with EMG's 81/60. I didnt have the option to switch them when I bought my guitar. I wish it did though.

Although I love metal, I dont want to play it all the time, and the EMG's just werent giving me the tones I wanted from my axe. No matter what I did, they pretty much sounded the same.

I ripped them out and had Seymour D's (59/JB) put in and was more than happy with the results.

Way more dynamic for what I want to play. I'm keeping the EMG's though incase I want to toss them back in when I finally get around to getting my PRS DGT.
i'd probably go with the duncans...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i'd probably go with the duncans...

+1

While they do sound good, JB's and 59's are EVERYWHERE. I'd change out pickups to something that was more appropriate for your sound, JB / 59 just sound kinda generic.
Since you're asking, I'm guessing you really want EMGs. Some of my guitars have them (EMG 81 + 85) and they're brutal + you can't beat how quiet they are. I'd look into the EMG 60 for the neck. I know I don't really care for the 85 ... too docile and doesn't seem to have the range of an 81. Time for me to google the EMG 60 to see what they're all about.
Quote by Flying Couch
Neither, I'd go DiMarzio.

ESP doesn't offer Dimarzios in a production guitar unless you're getting a Page Hamilton sig.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
You can't compare EMG's to a 59' and a TB as EMG's are active and the Duncans are passive. Whole different beast. The Blackouts are the most direct comparison to EMG's that Duncan has.

I've used EMG's in my Gibson Explorer for about 15 years (81/85). Great pickups, there is a reason why so many famous musicians in metal use them. They are very tight and articulate sounding, but also a little sterile.

I just installed some Blackouts in my Agile PS900 as I wanted to see how they compare with the EMG's and I have to say, they are a definite improvement. They are both more natural sounding and more "high-fi" sounding at the same time. They have a bit more bass, low mids, and highs. They have a bit more clarity to them as well. The EMG's sound almost muddy in comparison.

They still have that "active" sound to them, so you will have to decide if you like that or not, but as an EMG user for many years, I would say cross them off your list and go for the Blackouts instead. They are not a revolution over the EMG's, but they are a definite evolution.
59s have a low low output, and i would say they are overated in general. i tried one in my "metal" guitar in the neck but it had such a low output compared to ma bridge i took it out and put it in a middle position in another guitar. works great as a country pickup.
Quote by ILuvPillows?
Masturbate it off.
EMG 81/89's!!!!!
Gear
Jackson Rhodes
Jackson Kelly With EMG HZ's
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Sierra 28ce Acoustic Electric
Peavey Vypyr 212 (tube)
Line 6 Floor pod
Ibanez Toneblaster 30w
Custom Bass I built from spare parts
Fender Rumble 60 bass amp
It depends entirely on your amp.

If you don't use pedals, don't use your amp's pre-gain control, your amp is a naturally medium or high-gain tube amp and you want it to be as cranked as possible with the volume and everything always set to max, producing the heaviest natural overdrive possible... then get the EMGs, that's exactly (and only) what they were designed for, and nothing can do that better than active pickups.

However, if you use pedals for your gain (or overdrive, or distortion, or fuzz, or boost), if your amp is a lower-gain model, if you use your amp's pre-gain control, or if you're just plain not always cranking the amp all the way all of the time.. then get the passive Seymour Duncans, because in any of those situations the EMGs with do nothing for you but suck all the responsiveness and tone out.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
It depends entirely on your amp.

If you don't use pedals, don't use your amp's pre-gain control, your amp is a naturally medium or high-gain tube amp and you want it to be as cranked as possible with the volume and everything always set to max, producing the heaviest natural overdrive possible... then get the EMGs, that's exactly (and only) what they were designed for, and nothing can do that better than active pickups.

However, if you use pedals for your gain (or overdrive, or distortion, or fuzz, or boost), if your amp is a lower-gain model, if you use your amp's pre-gain control, or if you're just plain not always cranking the amp all the way all of the time.. then get the passive Seymour Duncans, because in any of those situations the EMGs with do nothing for you but suck all the responsiveness and tone out.

very very nicely said, listen to this man!
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
I have EMG's , but those are made for metal , ive heard SD's in a 80's JEM and they sounded better for malmsteen and vai
kthxbai.
SD's far more versatile than those EMG's

Would fit your needs better from what I understand
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
And how about DiMarzio X2N in neck and Tone Zone in bridge?
Wouldn't it be to bright?
To remind you, the body is alder and the neck is maple-that gives really bright mix.
Gettin' better ^_^
Quote by Chrisiphone
They are very very different pickups.

hahahahhahaha
anybody could've told him that.
get the duncans. EMG's are harshly deathmetalish and not really made for instrumental stuff. they're meant to cut through everyone else in your band chug-chugging away.
I can't stand watching people waste their money on horrible gear.