The Windsor is rated 120 watts (not really sure why...). Am I right in thinking the speaker rating has to be over 120 watts to play safely? I.e. the Windsor is designed to be played through a 4x12?
You'll need at least 120 watts power handling, though that doesn't mean you need a 4x12. Most 2x12's could handle that power and also some 1x12's, all depends on the type of sound you want though. Also be sure to match up the ohm's when connecting.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

You can run it through a 1x12 if you want as long as the speaker can handle 120W. I believe each speaker in my 2x12 is rated at 160W.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
The Windsor is 100W. Or else my 2x12 would be toast by now.
Washburn HM Idol w/ SD JB in bridge > Ibanez Weeping Demon > Korg Pitchblack > Digitech Bad Monkey > Boss NS-2 > Boss DD-6 > Egnater Renegade > Splawn 2x12 w/ Weber Sig12Bs

Yeah, it was originally going to be 120W, but they dropped it down to 100W when it came out. That incorrect wattage is still bouncing around a lot though.
'Cause I have done it before and I will do it some more....
I apologise for the late reply.

Quote by BHowell
Yeah, it was originally going to be 120W, but they dropped it down to 100W when it came out. That incorrect wattage is still bouncing around a lot though.

Is this true? I just presumed it was a 120 as I saw it on the GAK website...

Are there many nicely voiced 100watt-rated speakers? Basically, I like the idea of playing it through a 1x12 cabinet as a "lead" amp, using my VK as a "Rhythm" amp (with the use of a A/B switch). Any suggestions on a good, high-rated speaker for a lead sound such as those of 80's metal outfits (i.e. Maiden).
My windsor is 100watts. It's not bad through 1x12, but i'm runnng mine 2x10's. Like it alot better.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by Mathamology
I apologise for the late reply.

Is this true? I just presumed it was a 120 as I saw it on the GAK website...

Are there many nicely voiced 100watt-rated speakers? Basically, I like the idea of playing it through a 1x12 cabinet as a "lead" amp, using my VK as a "Rhythm" amp (with the use of a A/B switch). Any suggestions on a good, high-rated speaker for a lead sound such as those of 80's metal outfits (i.e. Maiden).

Yes, it is true. I own a Windsor and followed it from the press announcement to the day it came out, because I couldn't believe someone was going to try to beat Marshall at their own game for 1/4 the price. Then I played it alongside the Marshalls and started believing.

However, you cannot have a 100 watt-rated 1x12 for a 100-watt head. Well, you can, but you risk blowing the speaker and you can blow the amp as well--the amp is rated to put out 100W, but it can actually push more than that with low resistance and high peaks, and some amps (especially older Marshalls) are wired to put out power as soon as they are turned on, and when it has no place to go, it fries the amp. You should always err on the side of caution when it comes to power ratings--always have the head put out at least 1/2 as many watts as the cab so you don't toast your gear.

You should have at least a 2x10 or 2x12 with 100 watt ratings for each speaker, so they split the load going to them and prevent that. Or, get a combo amp or a much less-powerful head if you just want a 1x12 for that matter.
Quote by injected
Mesa black shadow - 100 watts

do it

isnt the black shadow rated at 90? i thought the model number was the C90? at least thats what i thought i read on the back of my F-50.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Highway One Telecaster
Dean Evo
Mesa F-50
Laney GH50L
Vox AC30 C2
Ampeg V2
pedals
Quote by BHowell
Yes, it is true. I own a Windsor and followed it from the press announcement to the day it came out, because I couldn't believe someone was going to try to beat Marshall at their own game for 1/4 the price. Then I played it alongside the Marshalls and started believing.

However, you cannot have a 100 watt-rated 1x12 for a 100-watt head. Well, you can, but you risk blowing the speaker and you can blow the amp as well--the amp is rated to put out 100W, but it can actually push more than that with low resistance and high peaks, and some amps (especially older Marshalls) are wired to put out power as soon as they are turned on, and when it has no place to go, it fries the amp. You should always err on the side of caution when it comes to power ratings--always have the head put out at least 1/2 as many watts as the cab so you don't toast your gear.

You should have at least a 2x10 or 2x12 with 100 watt ratings for each speaker, so they split the load going to them and prevent that. Or, get a combo amp or a much less-powerful head if you just want a 1x12 for that matter.

True amps put out more than they're clean wattage, also true, speakers can handle more than their rated wattage. A 100 watt cab (doesn't matter how you get there) with a 100 watt is perfectly fine.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
True amps put out more than they're clean wattage, also true, speakers can handle more than their rated wattage. A 100 watt cab (doesn't matter how you get there) with a 100 watt is perfectly fine.

This. You won't blow a speaker with a 100 watt head if the speaker has a 100 watt rating. Amp combos are put out ALL THE TIME with speakers just the right rating. Look at the JSX 2x12 for example, the speakers are both rated 60 watts and you dont see them blowing up..

Quote by LaidBack
isnt the black shadow rated at 90? i thought the model number was the C90? at least thats what i thought i read on the back of my F-50.

I saw 100 watt black shadows in the back of a 2x12 recto cab at a store.. i dont know about f combos
Quote by injected
This. You won't blow a speaker with a 100 watt head if the speaker has a 100 watt rating. Amp combos are put out ALL THE TIME with speakers just the right rating. Look at the JSX 2x12 for example, the speakers are both rated 60 watts and you dont see them blowing up..

I saw 100 watt black shadows in the back of a 2x12 recto cab at a store.. i dont know about f combos

+1

Hell, vox sells ac30s with two 15 watt speakers and they're 33 watt amps.
^^^^Those are correct statements. Thanks for the corrections guys.

I will, however, stand by my statement that he should buy a combo rather than a Windsor and a 1x12 cabinet.
^Agreed, I'd go with a solid 2x12 or a different amp depending on what he wants. I think they make a windsor combo.
^ I've looked into the combo; I can only find a 15watt version, and Ideally I would like to be gigging with it. If I know Peavey, it will still have a shed load of volume, but I'm not sure 15 will be enough to out-shout my VK.

Basically, here is the setup I intend to run (Yes, I have too much time on my hands. Also, sorry for the big image):

I already have the VK and the cab (though it is still a combo at the moment as apposed to a 'head'), and if I bought the Windsor, I intend to make the cab as I did with the VK.
Well, I can think of a few good options.

Number 1, you could get the combo since you're probably looking for a fair amount of powertube saturation so this will aid you in that. You should still have some money to swap speakers since the one it comes with will probably suck, much like all peaveys.

2, you could get the head, pull two powertubes and run at 50 watts into a 1x12 with a v30, seems like a good option

Or, get the head and run it into a 2x12.

If number one has enough volume (if you're micd it's plenty) then do that, otherwise number two is probably the cheapest solution.
The combo is a REALLY attractive price, I could get that much sooner than the head and a cab... but from listening to clips on Youtube, it just seems like the head has a much better sound in comparison, definitly for what I want it for anyway.

I'm gonna start me one of those amp fund things in my sig

I've estimated it will cost me £150 to make a cab. May be more, but still, its an estimate.
Last edited by Mathamology at Oct 27, 2008,
The Windsor combo isn't the same as the Windsor head. There was tons of hype here before it came out and then when it did, most everyone was disappointed.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com