ok. a few questions for you here.
i'm using cubase le 4 and i want to write automations for the vox. i know how to get the automation screen down but i don't know what to do with it from there. how do i make it work!!
i am also told that i need to use compression on the vox as well. what's the point, is it worth it, and how do i do it?
ok. now my last question. what is mastering? i've heard of it. i know how to pop the screen up for it. but what does it do and how do i use it?

i know it's a lot but if you could help with any or part of these questions it would def be appreciated
Mastering is basically getting the mix sounding good and loud enough to be put on a cd so they can be comparable to other cds on the market. It's not easy to do as you'll find you get digital clipping very easily without adding tons of compression, you just need to find a right balance, mix'ing is more essential that is mixing the instruments on the seperate tracks so that it sounds more like a proper song, as well adding eq and what not

There are many VST plugins you can download to get a gate on to eliminate unwanted noise and compression so you can get the mix louder, but if you aren't selling this you can still get the song pretty loud before digital clipping becomes an issue. Remember on the tracks after you record you can drag the track level up to raise the volume if the mic wasn't loud enough but unwanted noise will become an issue most likely.
ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ ಠ_ಠ

Quote by Xp3ns1v3
I thought it was illegal for women to use the internet.
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Oct 24, 2008,
i get the track pretty loud already. I get a good mix going and move the master fader as loud as possible before it starts clipping. then i bring it all in to one audio track and solo that track and move the master fader as loud as it will go without clipping.

and we will be selling it. we are recording a 5 song ep to send in to labels and radio stations. a few of my professors are label reps as well and want copies so i am trying to do as much as i can to get a professional sounding demo because i don't have the money for a studio
For what you pay for Cubase 4, you could have recorded five songs in a pro studio, and you would get much better results.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Quote by axemanchris
For what you pay for Cubase 4, you could have recorded five songs in a pro studio, and you would get much better results.

CT

i bought a firestudio that came with cubase. how did your post help me at all?
And by smashing the mix until its just about to clip is not going to help your songs...albeit you will in fact..destroy them! (sonically speaking)..did that help?
Quote by PsychomanZ
And by smashing the mix until its just about to clip is not going to help your songs...albeit you will in fact..destroy them! (sonically speaking)..did that help?

really? please explain
Quote by vjferrara
really? please explain

Mastering is something of an artform in itself, its not easy, and theres no quick solution to make your tracks sound good.

basically, all commercial recordings these days are subjected to exteme limiting and compression in order to sound loud as possible. this is carried out in conjunction with careful EQing and with high-quality plugins. it takes a long time and lots of practice to get anyway decent at mastering and even then its impossible to do a proper mastering job without the super-expensive monitors and treated rooms that you'd find in a mastering house.

if you just want to have a loud mix, then ballance up the instrument tracks, then put an EQ, a compresser and a limiter on the master bus.

use the eq to make subtle changes to the overall sound. set up the first compresser to tame the peaks and then adjust the limiter to squash the sound without causing any undesirable "pumping" effects. that should get ya somewhere.

bear in mind, it'll still sound pretty rubbish until you've spent years doing this kind of thing.

hope that helps
^This is basically true. It takes a lot of practice before you can achieve anything like professional results. Have a good read through www.tweakheadz.com for a start.
There is poetry in despair.
thanks guys. i am getting pretty good at eq's and mixing. keep an eye on this thread. i'll post a finished version up of shell shock in about week. i'd really like all the input you can give me on it.
if you'd like to help me out further, i have an unfinished mix already up on my profile. please give it a listen and if you've got any suggestions for me, throw them out there.

thanks for the help
I can hardly hear it through my crappy built in speakers and my monitors are at uni, but it sounds like those vocals need some compression.
There is poetry in despair.
get cubase SX3, ive never looked back!
"We carry death out of the village!"
Quote by fridge_raider
I can hardly hear it through my crappy built in speakers and my monitors are at uni, but it sounds like those vocals need some compression.

yeah they do but, that isn't the version i was talking about. that is a rough mix that doesn't have any eq's. i put it up so i could hear the song anywhere i had the internet if i didn't have my laptop with me.

Quote by Marskell
get cubase SX3, ive never looked back!

can't afford it or else i would've done it already.

i'll have a better one up in a few days everybody. if you get email alerts for this thread then just look for me to post when i have it up.
hmm, having a listen to the first master attempt there,

you need to balance up the vocals better, the chorus vocal needs to be brought WAY down.
guitars need to come down a bit, try removing some 100Hz and boosting around the 1-3KHz to help them cut through.

also, put on a high pass filter and take out all the messy low-end from the guitars, it'll give kick drum some room.

do the same for vocal tracks, adjust to get rid of as much as possible without affecting the sound.

kick drum needs to be brought up a lot, its very lost in the mix. a bit of compression and some EQ will help, but to be honest it sounds like the drum itself sounded crap to begin with.

i'm not hearing much bass guitar either.

a bit of tweaking and it'll be pretty good.

oh, and get rid of that Yoda crap at the end, it's seriously not funny.