Given my background on guitar, i have recently been considering to sell my MIM Jazz and crappy no name starter bass and just put it (money towards) into a short scale bass. It was quite a challenge, and still feels like a workout, for me to adapt to the longer scale and bigger strings of bass, so why not just get a schort scale? Is this a wise choise? How does the world of "mini basses" compare to their bigger brothers? I want something professional and not a "student" or I'm a lil' 91LB shit begginer bass, rather something gig worthy and doesn't feel like a toy.

Anything i should know about that particular market for bass? Pros, cons?
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
I have limited knowledge on bass, but pros, easier on your hands/arms, cons, you look a bit retarded.

Jack Bruce would like to have a word with you...

Honestly, if that's what you feel comfortable playing, then by all means, play it. Although, they've been known to have...tone issues...

*Enter thefitz*
Quote by goest
Jack Bruce would like to have a word with you...

Honestly, if that's what you feel comfortable playing, then by all means, play it. Although, they've been known to have...tone issues...

*Enter thefitz*

Put it this way, unintelligent average human being with no history of playing comes up to you and says, "dudeeeyo y dos yo gutairez have fore stirngs??!!111!

I don't really get the above comment but Stanley Clark made do with his short scales so therefor they are fine. THE END
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
i've read alot of good about the fender mustang, besides above (Slayedintheface) pro's, s'posed to have good tone and feel. I don't like short-scale basses personally.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace
Put it this way, unintelligent average human being with no history of playing comes up to you and says, "dudeeeyo y dos yo gutairez have fore stirngs??!!111!

Uhh..what?
Quote by RIC4003
I don't really get the above comment but Stanley Clark made do with his short scales so therefor they are fine. THE END

Aren't his mostly piccolo basses?

Either way, in general (key here) short scales have much lower string tension, resulting in a looser, sloppier tone.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
All i will say is don't get an epiphone/gibson EB, no worse basses exist.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
if you get a mustang you should be ok but tone is not the issue what the shorter scale affects is inotation on longer scale instruments you can get the inotation much more precise then on shorter scale but if you find your bass uncomfortable by all means go for it
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
if you want to drop tune, I'd go against it.
if you want to be able to easily play any bass, I'd go against it.
if you like maximum clarity in your tone, I'd go against it.

so basically, I'd say not to.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
if you want to drop tune, I'd go against it.
if you want to be able to easily play any bass, I'd go against it.
if you like maximum clarity in your tone, I'd go against it.

so basically, I'd say not to.

if hes not gigging or anything id take comfort over quality
just an opinion though
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by RIC4003

Alembic, CT and some of the other higher end bass manufacturers make very good short scale and piccolo basses that sound wonderful.

However, on the realist money scale, the only ones that I have played that sounded decent were the Ibanez Articore series and the Mustang.

But I will say it again--buy one for the tone, not because you think you can't handle a full scale bass.

Yes, when I started out playing I played a short scale for a small amount of time as well as coming from guitar and the switch to a full size bass was a challenge at first. But with some concerted effort and some technique building, its possible. Small scale basses honestly feel cramped to me. I played a short scale viola bass the other day and it felt like a guitar.

The other thing you could look at if the string thickness is an issue, is to go with a lighter gauge of strings. They can make a huge difference in your playing perspective on a full scale bass.
If you ever intend on playing a fretless, don't do it. They will ruin your muscle memory.
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.