Gibson SG special faded or PRS singlecut or similary priced guitar

Vox ad30vt or Marshall MG30DFX or similary priced amp

thnx just want to know wat is best seeing as i dont no that much bout guitar.
i dont know how i can stress this enough.

GO PLAY THE F'IN GUITARS YOURSELF. let your hands be the judge of witch ones better, it dosent have to coset 2000$ to be a good guitar.
I went in to GC the other day and the strat i ended up loving the most wasnt the American Standard, it was a MEXICAN deluxe .

there overpriced anyways and you whould really invest more in an amp and buy a TOKAI copy instead of one of those guitars.

if you think you need a 3000 dollar guitar to be a good player then go ahead and buy the damn thing.

whats your playing style and budget?
Last edited by THEKID546 at Oct 24, 2008,
vox ad30vt, definately not the Marshall MG. Probably a good idea to avoid the MG Series totally.

Look at the Roland Cube 30 also.
HOWAYA LUV ;D

BUGERA USERS MILITIA
i think i know wich ones your looking at.
the PRS SE, and the 700$ gibson SG.
ID go for the GIBSON, but for cheaper id just get a epiphone custom and change out the pups.
just as good as a low end ginbson, if not better depending on your hands, because the epiphone uses a 60's neck instead of a 50's, also epiphone I bealive makes better guitars than PRS, when it comes to overseas guitars.
the PRS feels like a toy, while the epiphone feels like a real guitar to me, really nice and heavey, if you can atleast get a standard, dont get any of the speacial les pauls, there pure crap.
as for amps i would say try out a fender super champ XD, ones you bring your budget up to 450 youll be set.

something like this.

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/epiphone-les-paul-standard/870

http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/75541
Last edited by THEKID546 at Oct 24, 2008,
^yes.
but like i said the standard will do fine.
if you do go to try them out make sure you try out all the standards, not all guitars were made the same not even the ones of the same series, they all have small little nuances.
mexican strats are nice to, but those damn epiphone koreans make a really good guitar for cheap, that in my opinion have an edge on the mexicans.
i would get the vox and the prs. but you need to try them out for yourself. because everybody is different.
do you mean PRS singlecut or PRS SE singlecut?

is that £400 budget for the guitar or the amp or both?

what type of music do you play?

will you be gigging?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
£400 for the guitar but that would be very top of my budget
i think i mean PRS SE singlecut if that is the cheaper one?
Mostly rock and punk. i will be gigging in the very near future
^ yeah, you mean the SE, the PRS (non-SE) singlecut is the guts of £2000.

are you dead-set on the singlecut shape? if you just want a mahogany set-neck guitar with twin humbuckers, the washburn x50pro can be picked up for £300 on gak, and if you ask me, it's far superior to the PRS SEs...

if you're going to be gigging, those 30 watt solid states might not be enough- how much money do you have for the amp? if you were to buy that washburn, say, that'd save you £100 on the guitar, which'd probably be worth putting into the amp if you're planning on gigging...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I didnt like the PRS SE much either and say its between that washburn and epiphone standard.
If you do have like 100 bucks or so left look for a used flextone ll they go hella cheap and are easy to find on ebay.
go try out the two guitars and see wich one you like better.
You won't get a Gibson SG for 400 anyway so I don't know why you're looking at it but I would get some sort of Ibanez ART, bit like the PRS, but nicer, I think the ART320 costs about 300. Then you save 100 on the guitar and you can get a decent amp. Don't get an MG or a valvetronix, save just a little bit more and get a valve amp.

EDIT: SG + MG30 = about £570
ART320 + VK112 = about £580

I would get what I suggested for the money but maybe just get the SG and then save up the other £150ish for the amp, it will be worth it.

Also, make sure you play everything before you buy it because the pickups on that SG aren't incredibly hot, so they might be a tad weak. And also, you need to make sure you like the tone of the amp and also the feel of the guitar before you buy. Also, don't buy guitars on the Internet, they will be so much worse set up than if you go to a store.
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
I got a packet of Love Hearts when I was six and every one said 'You Have a Tiny Penis'

SuperLol'd
Last edited by slashrock94 at Oct 30, 2008,
TS, do not listen to THEKID456, he is undershooting you, if you want, and can afford a PRS Singlecut, you get it. A better guitar motivates a player to play better because a good guitar that feels great for the user can make you play more often and enjoy playing more. If better guitars didn't mean anything, why would professional use high-end guitars, why would guitars have variable scale-lengths, materials and setups. Becaue you have to find the right guitar for you, that you prefer. This guy is trying to convince you to buy something short of what you can get, which is a totally stupid idea, especially this comment:

Quote by THEKID456
there overpriced anyways and you whould really invest more in an amp and buy a TOKAI copy instead of one of those guitars.

Personally mate, I would go the Singlecut as PRS these days are turning out consistently good pieces of work and Gibson SG's are usually either hit and miss form my experience. As for amps, there is no point playing a great guitar through a crappy amp, so if you go for an amp, try and meet in the middle and spend equal amounts on the guitar and amp. Good practice amps are the Valvetronix, Peavey Bandit (going by what you specified).
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Quote by IncubusMan999
TS, do not listen to THEKID456, he is undershooting you, if you want, and can afford a PRS Singlecut, you get it. A better guitar motivates a player to play better because a good guitar that feels great for the user can make you play more often and enjoy playing more. If better guitars didn't mean anything, why would professional use high-end guitars, why would guitars have variable scale-lengths, materials and setups. Becaue you have to find the right guitar for you, that you prefer. This guy is trying to convince you to buy something short of what you can get, which is a totally stupid idea, especially this comment:

Personally mate, I would go the Singlecut as PRS these days are turning out consistently good pieces of work and Gibson SG's are usually either hit and miss form my experience. As for amps, there is no point playing a great guitar through a crappy amp, so if you go for an amp, try and meet in the middle and spend equal amounts on the guitar and amp. Good practice amps are the Valvetronix, Peavey Bandit (going by what you specified).

he's talking about the PRS SE, not the USA-made singlecut. An MIJ tokai would be a pretty good call around his budget, only problem being it's likely to be a bit over budget (more like £500).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
im not dead set on the singlecut shape i just like the shape of the les paul. i didnt consider epiphone b4 coz i didnt know much about them what is the ibanez ict guitar like? u no the guy from dragonforce ( that isnt herman li) guitar. btw 30w is enough to keep up wit drums isnt it?
Last edited by Jonny5139 at Oct 31, 2008,
Not sure on the ict, haven't played one. I am a fanboi of the ART ARC series though, great guitars IMO for the money. (I swapped out the pups for a set of SD's.) Also see if you can find a used PV Classic 30, should work out for what you play. Yes, it will get over a drummer just fine. (Cleans may have some break up depending on your attack and such). Also try a VK112 and see what you think, that is a love/hate amp. I liked it when I tried it.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
how heavy rock and punk do you play? you might get away with a laney vc30 if you don't need too heavy distortion, it's a bit cheaper here in the UK than the peavey classic 30.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
how heavy im playing depends. in the band im in at the mo we're not playing that much heavy stuff, but i tend to play heavier at home or when jammin with mates. For an amp im looking to spend £250.
would you be willing to re-arrange that budget a little? i mean, you have £400 for the guitar and £250 for the amp... £300 (actually probably £320-£330 by the time you get the footswitch and pay postage) would buy you a laney vc30 which should be suitable for gigging and which is a nice amp (it's not that great for the heavy stuff though- if you play more heavy stuff a peavey valveking might be worth considering which is £280 i think, though i'd personally prefer the laney, it's a nicer amp, just not as versatile).

That'd still leave you over £300 for the guitar, which'd buy you a washburn x50pro which is a very nice guitar. if you'd prefer something more like a fat strat, it'd buy you a yamaha pacifica 612, which i also assume is really nice (i've only tried the 112 and 812, assuming the 612 is close to the 812 in quality, it should be very nice too).

so, er, yeah, that's what i'd do. With a budget around the £600-£650 for both guitar and amp I'd split it around 50:50, i'd personally take either of those two guitars over anything I've tried at £400 anyway, you'd have to go to £450-£500 (if not more) to get much nicer...

is there any way you can try those amps and guitars? at the end of the day, anything i recommend is for people to try to make sure they personally like them too...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i am going to try lots of stuff out. i like the epiphone les paul custom and vox ad30vt. wat do you think of those?
not bad, but i think you can do better with your budget. the vox isn't all valve (it's a modeller) and probably isn't loud enough for gigs (unlike all valve amps at 30 watts, like the laney or the valveking), and the epiphone is alright, but if you ask me the washburn or yamaha are probably nicer guitars for less money.

it's up to you, of course, you may try the washburn and hate the neck, for example. but certainly on paper, and in my opinion, a washburn x50pro/yamaha pacifica 612 coupled with a laney vc30 or peavey valveking would be superior.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
the valve king does look and sound nice. the only thing is, i dont think there is anywhere near where i live that stocks it. thnx for your help btw.
where are you (roughly) in the UK? peaveys (and laney too) generally aren't that hard to find, but it does depend on where you are, you could just be unlucky.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
London
if i get the epi les paul custom and the vk112 then that is £700 so only just over my budget.
oh, you'll be able to try them easily in london. the wembley guitar centre is both a peavey and a laney dealer, and they also have soundproof trying out rooms (so you can turn the things up loud- with valve amps you want to make sure that they sound really good when cranked up, as that's half the point of them). also, you might as well try the laney lc30, you may prefer it to the vc or valveking. it's a little more expensive (£350, i think) but you might as well try it. i prefer the vc, though.

one of the shops on denmark street (rhodes music maybe? can't remember) was a washburn dealer last time i was there. if you're lucky, they might have an x50pro which you could try. they're also a peavey dealer, i think.

you shouldn't have any problems trying epiphones... yamahas shouldn't be that hard to try either, but the problem is whether or not they have the exact model you want. the soho soundhouse used to have a good stock of yamahas, but they closed when sound control went bust (sc owned the soho soundhouse). oh yeah, if you like the les paul shape, the yamaha aes 620 would be worth a try too, it's around the £300 mark.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
wat is the difference between the epiphone les paul standard and epiphone les paul custom. does one have a better sound? Also is the orange crush 30R any gd?
Last edited by Jonny5139 at Nov 1, 2008,
i haven't tried the orange crush, but as far as i'm aware, it's a starter amp, i'd steer well clear. not all 30 watt amps are equal.

i'm not too sure about the epiphones- judging by the specs, it's just cosmetics, but you'd want to try both in case the dearer one has better attention to detail etc.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?