Hey everybody!!!

Well, basically, I want to get one of the new american standard strats (new 2008 ones) and i have played one of them and i really like the clean and crunch sound. I also play a bit of heavier stuff like dream theater and metallica, so i looked at the one with the humbucker in the bridge. It sounded good, but i do prefer the classic 3-single coil look of the strat without the humbucker in the bridge. I know you can get single coil sized humbuckers like the hot rails and some of the other dimarzio ones (therefore having the humbucker with the classic strat look), but i'm wondering if i put one of those in the bridge for the heavier stuff will it sound as good as having a full sized humbucker?
If you want a "full size" humbucker, you might consider changing the pick guard to a "FAT STRAT" version. You may also have to route out some material to clear the pickup.
go with the seymour duncan hot rails. its a high output humbucker and it will give you that crunch ur lookin for. i have one in my 98 fender american strat and it sounds amazing. i play everything from jimi to metallica and pink floyd and its is very versatile.
Im gonna pistol whip the next guy that says shenanigans !!!!
Well, I have a strat with a Duncan cool rails, my guitar instructor plays a strat with the hot Rails, here's what I think:

The cool rails does not sound exactly like a humbucker, but it's really close, kind of like a smoother p-90 tone if that makes sense to you. Not exactly made for death metal, but it works for everything from clean to heavy rock. The best thing is that it works brilliantly for such a wide spectrum of sounds, there are hardly any tonal compromises in that tonal range - everything sounds good.
It's lower output makes it possible to put it in without having to split it when using it in parallel with the middle pickup. That means less complicated wiring and you won't need to get a new pickup switch or replace one of the pots with a switching pot. You might not even need to replace the volume pot at all.

The Hot rails is a different thing alltogether. It sounds meh when played clean alone, however it's very nice when used split with the middle pickup. You will need to split it for that purpose, because of it's high output. You'll have to get a new 500k volume pot for it, the standard 250k won't do it. You can install a pot with switching function for the coil split, it'll save you the hassle (or cost) of buying and installing a new pickup switch that can do that.
Anyway, the sound: It's best suited for heavy rock and metal. It is voiced like most modern humbuckers, with tight low end that won't let it get muddy with the gain cranked and a reasonable amount of treble for a cutting sound.
Personally, I can't tell it from a normal sized humbucker, especially with some gain.
thanks everyone, seems i'll go for the hot rails. Does anybody know what it sounds like clean in the bridge? is it more like the stock single or like a full sized bucker?
More like a humbucker, but it's not a really good sound when used alone. Sounds nice (read: friggin fantastic!) when split and coupled with the middle pickup though.
Lil Screamin Demon will do wonders for that. Personally, I think Lil and normal size screamin demon are the best for rock and metal, but they can easily do other things too.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black
Quote by dkcol
If you want a "full size" humbucker, you might consider changing the pick guard to a "FAT STRAT" version. You may also have to route out some material to clear the pickup.

Tsk tsk, you didn't read his post!
Quote by flashmdg
Hey everybody!!!

Well, basically, I want to get one of the new american standard strats (new 2008 ones) and i have played one of them and i really like the clean and crunch sound. I also play a bit of heavier stuff like dream theater and metallica, so i looked at the one with the humbucker in the bridge. It sounded good, but i do prefer the classic 3-single coil look of the strat without the humbucker in the bridge. I know you can get single coil sized humbuckers like the hot rails and some of the other dimarzio ones (therefore having the humbucker with the classic strat look), but i'm wondering if i put one of those in the bridge for the heavier stuff will it sound as good as having a full sized humbucker?

pretty much... I'd defy anyone here to take the Pepsi challenge with a Hot Rails strat bridge pickup versus a full size humbucker... it sounds like a modern, fairly unsubtle humbucker... like the other guy said, once you put it through a dual rectifier or whatever, no-one could tell the difference

i have a strat with a hot rails in the bridge position and it sounds best for overdriven type sounds... clean, it's a bit nondescript, but still more usable than a regular strat single coil bridge pickup (unless you're into surf music or something)
out of here