Ok, just enquiring:

When you bought your first bass, did you play electric guitar before, or bass was your first guitar-like instrument?

Why did you buy bass/electric/acoustic first?

How did you learn bass?

If you learnt online, would you say it helped you, and would you say you have develeloped, and it has made you a generally good bass player?

If you learnt online, were the lessons bad?

I might put some more up later...
I play guitar atm ...
Considering to do bass to expand my musical stuff...
and bass would problably get me in a band faster '-.-
Squier Standard Telecaster.
Random Ibanez GIO superstrat
Takamine EG440C Maple Blue

Line 6 Spider III 30 w
Blackheart Killer Ant
Blackheart Little Giant

Line 6 Pod X3 Live
Line 6 Toneport UX-2
Ok, just enquiring:

When you bought your first bass, did you play electric guitar before, or bass was your first guitar-like instrument?

Yes, I played acoustic guitar and then electric

This may be hard to believe, but my first guitar was bought by my mother, who felt that playing bass was not something girls should be doing. Guitar was Ok, and several of my sisters already played guitar. Despite the fact that she bought me hot wheels, Tonka trucks and chemistry sets for Christmas, she felt that bass guitar and high top sneakers were where she had to draw the line.

I now own several basses and two pairs of Converse High Tops

How did you learn bass?

Self taught from books and videos as an arrogant guitar player and then I got a teacher who showed me all the things I was doing wrong and made me a much better bass player that I would have become on my own.

If you learnt online, would you say it helped you, and would you say you have develeloped, and it has made you a generally good bass player?

N/A

Bass was first and only for me(so far)

Acually, my first (and current) bass was given to me as a graduation gift.

How did you learn bass?

Playing along with recordings, online tabs and my brother the guitarist showed me some of the basic string techniques.

Dunno, decent i guess. I've only been playing for 6-7 months.

The only lessons i've read were on here (UG) and they seem good to me. But again, beginner bassist.
I have:
Acoustic B200H+B115 cab, Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, Rondo Fretless, Boss EQ-7.

Some men just want to watch the world burn. And they work at Behringer.
When you bought your first bass, did you play electric guitar before, or bass was your first guitar-like instrument? I played bass first.

Why did you buy bass/electric/acoustic first? No real interest in playing anything else apart from keys.

How did you learn bass? Listened to a lot of records and tried to make those sounds myself.

If you learnt online, would you say it helped you, and would you say you have develeloped, and it has made you a generally good bass player? There's plenty of misinformation to be found, but for theory some sites are pretty good.

If you learnt online, were the lessons bad? I wouldn't bother with them, though I keep an eye out for lessons from guys I know on here.
I played electric guitar for about two years and I just wanted to play bass one day so I got one for my birthday. I started playing my sister's electric when she gave up and got addicted. I learned how to play some songs and mostly taught myself to play bass, I took about 4 guitar lessons and learned some chords.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
-Bass was my first string instrument

-Seemed like a logical step up from keyboards to start a punk rock band with some friends

How did you learn bass?
-Took lessons in person for a few months, then did it all myself for about 4 years until college where I'm taking lessons again

If you learned online, would you say it helped you, and would you say you have developed, and it has made you a generally good bass player?
-Just tabs from UG, pretty much.

If you learned online, were the lessons bad?
-I didn't, but the stuff here on UG is pretty good in the lessons section.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
*borrows code from smb*

When you bought your first bass, did you play electric guitar before, or bass was your first guitar-like instrument? Played an acoustic guitar, then electric guitar, then bass.

Why did you buy bass/electric/acoustic first? My first acoustic was borrowed. I became interested in learning electric guitar at the time and eventually bought one, gave back the acoustic.

How did you learn bass? A lot of observation. Dmanlamius on YouTube helped the most. My first and only real bass lesson came from a friend at sound engineering college, who had played bass for 8 years. His first comment was that I was playing bass too much like a guitar (picking at the neck).

If you learnt online, would you say it helped you, and would you say you have develeloped, and it has made you a generally good bass player? It helps with the basics, but some unique techniques of Les Claypool and Ryan Martinie aren't very well documented. I think every bass player should be familiar with their techniques.

If you learnt online, were the lessons bad? I think they're good, but the various ways of playing with fingers should be covered so beginners can choose the one that best suits them.
Last edited by BrickIsRed at Oct 24, 2008,

Bass was my first

id played instruments before and thought guitar was over rated

How did you learn bass?

i have a teacher works really well it imho is the best way because they can show you were you went wrong

N/A

N/A
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
The 2 best colours EVER pitted against each other? No wai!

I voted lime.

Quote by SeveralSpecies
btw lime kicked ass

Member of the Bass Militia PM Nutter_101 to join
Team Lime Green!
Quote by SlayedInTheFace

-When you bought your first bass, did you play electric guitar before, or bass was your first guitar-like instrument?
-Why did you buy bass/electric/acoustic first?
-How did you learn bass?
-If you learnt online, would you say it helped you, and would you say you have develeloped, and it has made you a generally good bass player?
-If you learnt online, were the lessons bad?

-I played acoustic guitar before. On my brother's birthday, he got a bass and I got an electric guitar.

-Still haven't, I still use my brother's bass. I started playing because I wanted to start a band but there were never bass players around so I made the change. Now my brother primarily plays guitar.

-The bass my brother received had a few handy books in it with play-along CDs. I also learnt something by the 'bassic' lessons here and by learning songs to play along, thanks to UG. I also had 'some' guitar skills to help.

-Not every online lessons here's good, but the good ones outweigh the bad ones.
Quote by SlayedInTheFace

1.) When you bought your first bass, did you play electric guitar before, or bass was your first guitar-like instrument?

2.) Why did you buy bass/electric/acoustic first?

3.) How did you learn bass?

1.) I had never played anything like bass before. The closest I got was cello.

2.) I bought it because my brother already played guitar and I didn't want to be doing the same thing as him. Also, my cousin and I were forming a two person indie band and we needed one of us to play bass.

3.) I just learned tabs. I have only JUST started lessons (apparently everything I've been doing has been wrong) but I've managed to get (what I consider) pretty good over the past year and a half.
When you bought your first bass, did you play electric guitar before, or bass was your first guitar-like instrument? bass. it sounded so cool, and after drums, guitar, and trombone I had already given up on music.

Why did you buy bass/electric/acoustic first? I made up a random word nd typed it in and saw the coolest 'guitar' player ever. his name was Jaco.

How did you learn bass? practicing techniques I looked up.

If you learnt online, would you say it helped you, and would you say you have develeloped, and it has made you a generally good bass player? it worked fine for me. I'm no perfect bassist, but I do what I do, I usually got part of my learning online.

If you learnt online, were the lessons bad? usually not too terrible.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by SlayedInTheFace

Bass was my first guitar-like instrument. I had never touched a guitar before I played bass, but now I'm learning to play a little guitar on the side just for kicks.

Quote by SlayedInTheFace

All of my friends who played instruments played guitar, and no one I knew played bass, so I decided I should learn. That and I liked the low end.

Quote by SlayedInTheFace
How did you learn bass?

Online, by trial and error, and stuff from some guitarist friends then incorporated it to bass. Now that I have some friends that are also bassists I learn things from them.

Quote by SlayedInTheFace

I would say it helped me because without it I would literally know nothing more than the thing I was playing had four strings and was awesome. I feel it has made me a generally good bass player, I've learned how to improve my fingerstyle efficiency(because I'm primarily a pick player)

Quote by SlayedInTheFace

Nope, there were really good IMO. At the time I didnt know wtf I was doing with all the text I was looking at but after a while I slowly learned what was ment and whatnot. I'm actually still learning online.
When you bought your first bass, did you play electric guitar before, or bass was your first guitar-like instrument? I used to play my sisters squier bullet, but that can hardly be counted as a guitar. more like a piece of low-grade wood with strings on it.

Why did you buy bass/electric/acoustic first? I didn't like the way the guitar sounded and decided to see what a bass sounded like.

How did you learn bass? Ultimate-Guitar, and bass for dummies.

If you learnt online, would you say it helped you, and would you say you have develeloped, and it has made you a generally good bass player? I thought the lessons I had were great. but these were usually over simple theory so they couldn't have been terrible.

If you learnt online, were the lessons bad? Nope. I had fun memorizing scales and modes and whatnot.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Bass was first!

To play in my friend's band who already had two guitarists but no bass.

How did you learn bass?
Self taught for a couple of years then teacher, then self teaching again.

Yeah it has really helped. You get a lot of insight here on other people's playing habits, where the easy pitfalls are etc. There are some really talented bass players here and they're all very generous on giving advice too!

The lessons on here are very good and are all written to a very high standard - publishable level even. However, nothing beats having an actual person infront you showing you.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
The Bass seemed so much more interesting than the 6-stringed variant.

I was supposed to fill in a bass playing position in a band and the fact that bass runs in the family.

How did you learn bass?
I went to lessons for 3 months as a sort of jump start into the world of bass but then I surpassed my teachers skills and all I was doing after that was paying him to jam with me so I quit. Everything beyond that point has been self taught but luckily with an instrument you're in a constant state of learning.

All the advice from UG has been helpful in some form or other although I have never had an online lesson. I have improved greatly since I first started posting on this thing but I still find helpful advice here and there.

N/A
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join

I picked up guitar a year into playing bass. Bass was my first musical instrument since I played trumpet in elementary school.

Because I was in love with funk, particularly the groove, and I wanted to be able to do that.

How did you learn bass?

I got private lessons for two and a half years combined with a summer's worth of over-practicing (getting older and not having a driver's license + being a nerd = practicing 15 hours a day over summer). I then started a band, about 6 months into being in the band took AP Music Theory in high school; when high school ended I got another 6 months of private lessons, then couldn't afford them (work + college + fun = too many bills and not enough time); I dropped out of college after my freshman year and just worked and tried to figure life out. I got another 6 months of bass lessons (so what's that total? in those 5 years of life, I took 3 and a half years of lessons) and stopped after I auditioned for music schools/colleges, and didn't take lessons until I'm now required to every week at the college I go to for Music Education.

When I first started playing, I learned just as much online as I did from lessons. However, almost all of my good form comes from lessons and almost all of my bad form comes from online. I would recommend to anyone getting lessons at first to try to instill very good basic technique, and let it develop however they want from there. I would I'm generally a good bass player, and I'm generally getting better at it too. I'm just not getting anymore impressive at it; I think my showman's ship has peaked off - and I'm not worried about that anymore cause I thought about it... and I'm more impressed with Flea on "Apache Rose Peacock" then I am on "Coffee Shop". I'm more impressed with Sly Stone on "If you want me to stay" and Larry Graham on "Thankyou fah lettenme be mice elf ag'n" then I am with any of Graham Central station's work. you know?

Generally, the lessons and things here will help you get a physical form, but not the right physical form. With theory, they'll generally be just as good as in person, its just that online (atleast at UG) they don't do it with sheet music because most people don't read it, so it's harder to explain. If I put a music teacher on here and told him to explain intervals without using sheet music, he'd do something like what UG has for lessons on intervals.
If correct form doesn't matter for you (ie you're playing for yourself or a band and don't plan on going into music performance or being paid to be in a jazz band or becoming a music teacher), then online lessons are fine. I would still recommend getting a few real lessons first.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!