I'm looking for a nice OD to tighten things up a bit and push my amp a bit harder. However, I want something that isn't going to color my tone a lot. I was thinking about grabbing a Bad Monkey because its cheap and I've heard that it actually works very well as a boost (and not so well as an actual OD).

I'm currently using a Dan Electro Pastrami OD and it gets the job done, but it doesn't sound all that great.

I'm open to any suggestions - I really don't have a budget, just looking for the least expensive pedal that will work because I don't have to have some hand built boutique pedal or anything like that.
Its very transparent and after my modification its extremely transparent. But its great regardless. And its one of the best pedals I have found, it holds its own against some very high dollar pedals when it comes to clean boostin for metal.
Well, you definately get the most bang for your buck with the Bad Monkey. I own it, and you're absolutely right about it working great as a boost pedal, but not so much as it's own OD. It does get some nice colour to it on the lower settings, and you'll get that blues crunch if you strike the strings hard. (Think about raking a E7. 0 7 6 7 7 7)
It's not transparent at all, it has a very midrange-orientated voicing.

I should however add that it is very usable to tighten things up and add hair to an overdriven amp, you don't always want transparency in a booster although this depends on your tone.

But that's why tubescreamers are popular, they tighten up the bass and add cut.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
It's not transparent at all, it has a very midrange-orientated voicing.

I should however add that it is very usable to tighten things up and add hair to an overdriven amp, you don't always want transparency in a booster although this depends on your tone.

But that's why tubescreamers are popular, they tighten up the bass and add cut.

Alright... well then I should add that I will be using the boost for modern metal-oriented music. My Ashdown handles classic metal very well (and it should, seeing as its a high gain, British voiced amp), but when it comes to the modern heavy stuff its just not tight enough and needs a bit more bite to it.
Quote by i_am_metalhead
Alright... well then I should add that I will be using the boost for modern metal-oriented music. My Ashdown handles classic metal very well (and it should, seeing as its a high gain, British voiced amp), but when it comes to the modern heavy stuff its just not tight enough and needs a bit more bite to it.
Sounds perfect then, just turn the bass down a bit from noon on the bad monkey and put the treble up a tad, keep the gain low and crank the level up and you're good. Should be awesome for it.
Quote by Horlicks
If you want transparent, get something like a Fulltone OCD.

An OCD is far from transparent.
Is a great pedal for the price. I use it as a boost of the lead settings on my Microcube and is very transparent.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by The Real Ming
An OCD is far from transparent.
It's much closer to it than a Tubescreamer derivative.

But like I say, he wants tighter bass and more cut, so he doesn't want transparency, he wants the TS voicing.