After reading quite a few threads on here I have a feeling I already know where the public majority will be on this, but it's always good to get unbiased opinions from the masses!

With regard to a starter amp I think you're all going to shout Roland Micro Cube at me.

Have also seen a couple by Randall:

KH15 (what can I say, I'm a metallica fan!)

and

RX15M (bottom of page)

Any thoughts on these? They seem identical apart from 'player branding'.
Quote by THEKID546
whats your budget and what kind of metal

I'm a complete novice just starting out, so while budget isn't really an issue, I don't want to spend a lot of money that might end up being wasted in the long run. Pretty much looking for something that's not crap to get me started really, hence the sub £100 suggestions in my opening post.

Oh, and I've got to learn totally from scratch so I don't think I'm ready to specify what type of metal I'm going to play!
just buy any amp to start off with. once you figure out what you want to play you can come back on here and ask for suggestions, but if you're starting from scratch any amp will do.
If you're in the UK, I have a small, 15 w solid state crate amp I'd be looking to sell. It comes with a lot of built in effects like delay, reverb etc. It has a clean and a lead channel, though I recommend getting a dist. pedal.
Thanks for the replies guys but my opening question still remains unanswered. Just curious to know if either of the Randall amps are any good?

Quote by SlappyMcLardfat
just buy any amp to start off with. once you figure out what you want to play you can come back on here and ask for suggestions, but if you're starting from scratch any amp will do.

Ordinarily that would be my thoughts but I've read so many posts saying that the amp is more important to the sound (admittedly not much of a sound!) than the guitar itself, which kinda goes against what you are saying (or am I reading it wrong )
any 15 watt solid state practice amp isn't great, but for beginners it'll do. BUT I do know that Randall makes some quality solid state amps, so I'd point you towards either/both for a nice cheap amp.
I own the Randall RX35DM. I absolutely love it. Paid 249.00 USD for it. The sound is fantastic. The effects are good and it sounds good clean. I totally recommend this amp, especially if you are a beginer or don't have a shit ton of money to spend on an amp. It's not that much more than the RX15 or the KH and it has the effects and larger speaker. It is more than loud enough for home playing, I haven't put the master volume past 3 yet and it is light enough to carry to a jam session. IF you need more info on it, just PM me.
Quote by voodoochild78
vypyr by peavey.
its this years spider III

except peavey never makes a bad amp.
Quote by gregs1020
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/70525 Try a roland cube20. For a beginner that plays metal, it's about as good as it gets. Also try a vypyr, but the roland is a proven reliable great sounding amp.

I trust him and whatever he says. The rest of people here in this thread have only been here for a month or more.
I like to write, and support Chemistry For Improved Life.

Please, recommend me any bands or artists of any genre or medium. Paintings, poets, writers, books, paintings, songs, musicians.

Anything, anything at all. Please.
Yep gregs on the money. I would say look into the Roland Cube ??X series (replace the ?? with the wattage you'd be happy with), that Randall looks fairly decent but never played one, however always be wary of signature amps especially solid state - just because it's endorsed doesn't mean it is good (*points in direction of Marshall MG Zak Wylde Micro Stack*).

Also avoid the Spider series by Line6 but do not be sweayed by bandwagonning on this site. There are great Line6 amps which might interest you such as the Flextone, good cleans and a myriad of bells and whistle to help you decide the type of tone you're after.

Probably next shout would be the Vox ADVT series - superb for beginners.

Hope you find what you're after - and enjoy the journey ahead! Welcome to the fraternity!
Quote by TheKingofGuitar
except peavey never makes a bad amp.

well now they do.
i never tought i would find an amp more horendous than a spider until i flicked the switch of a vypyr.
Quote by UnicronAlliance
Yep gregs on the money. I would say look into the Roland Cube ??X series (replace the ?? with the wattage you'd be happy with), that Randall looks fairly decent but never played one, however always be wary of signature amps especially solid state - just because it's endorsed doesn't mean it is good (*points in direction of Marshall MG Zak Wylde Micro Stack*).

Fair point. I am well into golf and am aware that a lot of the 'endorsed by stars' equipment is bloody awful!

I'm still steering towards my original suggestions, so either a Micro Cube or one of the Randalls. Unless of course I come across something for next to nothing (car boot sale!) that will get me started in the short term.
Quote by THEKID546
well now they do.
i never tought i would find an amp more horendous than a spider until i flicked the switch of a vypyr.

you and i have deffrent taste I guess but I like the peavey. why do you hate it is it too confusing.
Quote by gregs1020
http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/70525 Try a roland cube20. For a beginner that plays metal, it's about as good as it gets. Also try a vypyr, but the roland is a proven reliable great sounding amp.

i'd go with the 30 instead to get the r-fier model...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by TheKingofGuitar
you and i have deffrent taste I guess but I like the peavey. why do you hate it is it too confusing.

i like brotalz metal as much as the next guy, but an amp has to have a descent hard rock, rock, and clean channel, and the vypyr just dosent offer that.
anyways any good distortion pedal will win my heart over, rather than crappy anoloug sound commming out of the vypyr.
Its just a surprise thats its a real flop, i honestly cant say its any better than a spider if anything id have to say its worse, cause the speaker is horrible.
^^Dave, exactly what I was thinking. If you could find an older cube you could get a pretty good bargain.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I would say go with a Roland MicroCube for sure.
The MicroCube was my first amp and it's great and when you want to move up to a nicer amp the Microcube will still be of use to you because its very portable.
Quote by Kevin Saale
^^Dave, exactly what I was thinking. If you could find an older cube you could get a pretty good bargain.

(or the micro has the r-fier model if you can't stretch to the cube 30)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?