Poll: Favorite Yarbird (Career wise)
Poll Options
View poll results: Favorite Yarbird (Career wise)
Jimmy Page
30 39%
Jeff Beck
16 21%
Eric Clapton
30 39%
Voters: 76.
I can't chose a favorite, they're all legends. But I'll have to go with Page because I'm a huge Zeppelin fan.
a.) You have an edit button. You can use it so you don't have to make two posts in a row.

b.) This would probably be better served as a sort of general Yardbirds thread, since we aren't particularly into polls that pit music/musicians against one another (I'm just sayin').

c.) In terms of preference, it's all opinion, but as far as actual playing goes, Beck is so much better than the other two that it's not even funny. No comparison at all.

Anyways, sorry for the overly negative post, just wanted to bring some things up
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Quote by psychodelia

b.) This would probably be better served as a sort of general Yardbirds thread, since we aren't particularly into polls that pit music/musicians against one another (I'm just sayin').
This. But I'll leave this open, since we're talking about preference here, and the other Yardbirds threads are old and have like, 12 posts max.

Quote by psychodelia
c.) In terms of preference, it's all opinion, but as far as actual playing goes, Beck is so much better than the other two that it's not even funny. No comparison at all.
Well, I think both are opinion really

Quote by DownInAHole.
Steve Vai or Eddie Van Halen.
Just because you're a mod doesn't mean you can spam up my forum, bitch

*looks at own posts in Zeppelin thread*

Carry on
How to achieve Frank Zappa's guitar tone:
Quote by Thefallofman
Step 1: Buy a Gibson SG
Step 2: Insert Green Ringer, EQ, 3 dead squirrels and a microwave into said SG
Step 3: Plug in and freak the **** out.
I voted Beck for longevity.

Clapton's tone is awful now (though his playing is still good), and Jimmy Page has spent lots of time rusty or just kind of fading away. He's sounding good now though.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Thefallofman

Clapton's tone is awful now (though his playing is still good)
He needs to go back to Gibsons through Marshalls. Seriously.
Quote by Thefallofman
Beck by miles and miles. He has only gotten more creative as the years have gone on.
Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Pi3h-B0y to join!

Member #17 of the UG Queen Fanclub!...PM Hanzi_G to join!

The Sinister Minister of Zeppelinism...Pm TheHeartbreaker to join.
Career wise -- Eric Clapton

But as far as The Yarbirds go?...I like the Jeff Beck years the best.

Edit: I voted for Jimmy Page by mistake.

So subtract one vote from Page and add one more vote for Clapton!
Last edited by HotRockinJohnny at Oct 27, 2008,
Quote by BrainDamage
Well, I think both are opinion really

Ordinarily, I'd agree with you. I really do respect the opinion argument 95% of the time.

However, in this case, there are right opinions, and there are wrong opinions
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
If you're considering their career as a whole, I'll have to go with the crowd and say Clapton.
Quote by BrainDamage
He needs to go back to Gibsons through Marshalls. Seriously.

Agreed.
Metal Forum Popular Vote Winner!!!

Quote by webbtje
Quote by dead-fish
And you're obviously here because you fancy Phill.
Phill is a very attractive guy...

"I'm so tempted to sig that, Phill" - Sig it then

Unless otherwise stated, assume everything I say is in my opinion.
Well, Clapton forged the way, played some pretty nifty stuff in the beginning, got disillusioned and left to shake the world up with Mayall and Cream. Eric was an enormous influence on so many with his burning tone, ultra smooth yet firery avante stylings! His heartfelt singing, ripping solos and longevity keeps him at the forefront of popularity which is beautiful and always inspiriing... even playing a Strat and Twins with Cream.

Jeff jumped in and really turned the ante way up with such inventiveness and flash! Then Beck dazzled us with so many incredibly righteous solo albums and kept evolving through fusion/jazz/techno into the greatest rock guitarist alive today. My mouth still drops open at his shows!

Pagey was perfect for the end of the Yardbirds playing some bass and that dragon Tele behind Jeff. With the New Yardbirds, as it transformed into Led Zep, took a new bluesy theatrical version of it into the realm of huge rock arena superstardom. They sold a lot of records and influence a multitude of 70's guitarists. Jimmy truly has the capability to stir up the spirits with his heavy riffs, and is the richest guitarist simply from his arranging and writing abilities, but doesn't quite have the advanced techniques of Beck or the smooth delivery of Eric.

Eric was a stronger influence on many of us guitar-wise, while Page held his magic high and sold more records... and Jeff (after Jimi) simply took the torch on up to the top!

I voted for Jeff Beck cuz he's still the best!!
Last edited by 60Cherrytop at Oct 28, 2008,
Having seen all three, I still have to go with Page. Although, Jeff Beck blew me away too. I saw him and Page at the A.R.M.S. benefit in San Francisco some time in the 80s.

Clapton has had the more steady career though, no contest. More power to him too. Always one of my favorites.
Pretty sure there were more than three guitarists in The Yardbirds.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
Jeff Beck because he's awesome. Page is overrated as hell and sloppy, Clapton is great but I like Beck a bit more.
Last.fm

Fender Deluxe Players Strat > Big Muff > LPB-1 > Moog Ring Mod > MXR Dynacomp > MXR Phase 90 '74 > Fender Hot Rod 410 (soon)
I'm gonna go with Eric Clapton because if I'm not mistaken, he also took some part in writing the songs. Also I've never heard Jeff Beck's post-Yardbirds stuff.

Furthermore, I've never heard a Yardbirds song with Jimmy Page, didn't he have a pretty small role in the band towards the end of their career?

As far as the band in general goes... They are very underrated and don't get enough recognition nowadays, even if they were just kinda plain blues rock/pop rock that's not up to par with, for example, the Doors.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Quote by Phill-Rock
If you're considering their career as a whole, I'll have to go with the crowd and say Clapton.
Agreed.

If you're considering their career as a whole...Jimmy Page.

.....Led Zeppelin?
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
Quote by chopps00
If you're considering their career as a whole...Jimmy Page.

.....Led Zeppelin?

Yes I suppose you have a point.
Ya I'm just saying...I agree Eric Clapton has had the longest lasting success...but Led Zeppelin in their prime were so revolutionary and breakthrough...gotta go with Jimmy Page.
Quote by Zero-Hartman

If I can't masturbate to childrens cartoons then this country isn't great.
I agree, Zeppelin has made quite an impact. If Jimmy Page had not joined the yardbirds toward the end, there may not have been a Zeppelin.
See, i'm really confused as to how Ol' Clapto' is winning. He's easily the most boring and least innovative of the three!

Page was my choice, but that's a no-brainer as "Becks Bolero" was good but I haven't really heard too much else of his stuff. But Page was a lot more daring with his output and reaped a huge commercial reward for it. Which you gotta admit is real impressive. Clapto' played it safe in my opinion and wasn't as daring and rested on his "Blues-Rock" laurels.
Don't need a gun to blow your mind.
Well, in my opinion, Page's playing sounds like a sloppy mess at times... If Clapton's smooth playing and great phrasing are due to him not being "innovative" or "daring"- then I guess I like boring stuff.

...But I still stand by my vote for Beck.
Hey, I'm Mike.
Quote by Thefallofman
Well, in my opinion, Page's playing sounds like a sloppy mess at times... If Clapton's smooth playing and great phrasing are due to him not being "innovative" or "daring"- then I guess I like boring stuff.

...But I still stand by my vote for Beck.

Page dares to not be perfect. It's the consistent "smooth playing" and "great phrasing" that makes Clapto' dull as ****!

If you wanna hear it perfect, go home and put the record on! And when Clapto' does extended solos it just put folk to sleep. It's dull!
Although, I did just check out your Myspace page and enjoyed it.
Quote by tydhurst
Page dares to not be perfect. It's the consistent "smooth playing" and "great phrasing" that makes Clapto' dull as ****!

If you wanna hear it perfect, go home and put the record on! And when Clapto' does extended solos it just put folk to sleep. It's dull!

We've all got opinions... no use in arguing it. Both Clapton and Page were innovative and influential in big ways, there's no denying that. They're just different players, and we've all got our preferences (as evidenced by the very split results in this poll).

Hey, thanks for listening to my music though man.
Hey, I'm Mike.
That's no problem. You've got Tom Petty listed as a favourite so you must know about real good music. And i like "folkies", they're more honest than most other musicians!

Always fun to talk to that type of musician
Quote by tydhurst
And then there's the sloppy, inconsistent playing that makes Page intolerable at times.
Quote by Thefallofman
Im huge fan of Page and Clapton although i lean slightly more towards Page. I've always wanted to, but i've heard pretty much nothing of Beck's.