Hi everyone i want to ask a question about holding the pick. I take guitar lessons from a good teacher and he teaches really well but he wants me to hold the pick a bit different from how i used to hold. Normally i hold the pick few degrees more than paralel to string facing to my left leg lets say but my teacher wants me to hold it facing to my left shoulder. It is hard at first but it seems to give good sound but its hard when soloing. I know that Paul Gilbert held the pick like that but he changed his technique after 8 years. So if you have any comments about holding the pick that way please share.
point it towards your left shoulder son.

VALHALLAAAAAA
Quote by breakdown123
Is there such a thing as a heavy riff with out chugging on the e string?
hey. i have another way of holding a pic. i hole mine sort of like i hold a pencil. with my thumb, forefinger, and middle finger. try it out.
you probably explained it in the worse way possible. there are lessons on youtube about this.

curve your index finger under the pic and band your tumb slightly and rest it on the top of the pick. you should get a 45 degree angle if you do this.
there's a youtube vid where a guy plays at record speeds and he claims holding the pick like your teacher says to is the trick to it. I dunno how valid that is, I point it to my shoulder.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Should i worry about how i hold the pick? at rhythms pointing it to my left shoulder nearly | like this but when playing solos its really hard.
To be honest I've been having some issues with my pick lately but my recommendation would be simply to hold it in whatever way is most comfortable and offers the best tone. I mean that's kind of obvious, but when playing guitar you generally are aiming to be as relaxed as possible, so don't go out of your way to hold a pick the way that is comfortable for someone else.
Maybe i can change my style when i play rhythm and solos. Is that a good idea? cos when playing rhythm playing like im trying to cut the strings sound better(facing to my left shoulder).
No, it's not a good idea. Your technique should be consistent or else changing styles or issues related to changing between them will be a whole pit of mistakes waiting to happen.
Hmm im so confused now. I would like to be able to play how my teacher told me and i guess some guitarist use the pick like that. I think Jesper from my favorite band In Flames holds the pick like that but its hard and my teacher is really insisting that i should play like that for good tone. I dont want to tell him i dont want to cos he's a good teacher and good player and he seems to know what he's doing.
Try it, it won't kill you. Or say "Can we agree to disagree on this and you can have your way next time?" - and obviously, keep your end of that bargain.

Or just tell him you disagree for X reasons.

Hell, tell him to make an account and come argue with "Freepower" but most people tend to get an earful whenever they start so warn him about that too.
Quote by Freepower

Hell, tell him to make an account and come argue with "Freepower" but most people tend to get an earful whenever they start so warn him about that too.

Yeah man you totally scare away all the people who argue with you. YOU FIEND
Look on the bright side, my picking's the bastard child of Marty Friedman and Shawn Lane.
Marty is a godly teacher and player, despite his weird broken-wrist picking. Oh, btw, threadstarter, Paul Gilbert and Eric Johnson both have different definitions of good tone than your teacher - and hence hold the pick differently! Have you asked what he considers good tone and do you know what you consider good tone?
Hmm first of all thanks for your good comments. My teacher is a good teacher really and i dont want to tell that I disagree with him to his face. I still dont really play the way he shows. I guess he considers good tone as more bassy and full sound. I dont want to say he's completely wrong cos i've seen some people play like he said and they are good guitarists but still there a lot which dont play like that. So i guess the pick holding should change from person to person because every good guitarist has a different technique.
Doing it the way Paul Gilbert holds the pick allows me to control the pick angle and adjust it easier to change the picking dynamics or tone.

But it might not be the same for you.
^Note: Probably sarcastic
Gear
Schecter Blackjack C1-FR
Few Agile 8-strings
Ormsby Hypemachine 2014 otw!!

Carvin X-100B
axe-fx II

W.A musicians FTW
Quote by crisisinheaven
Deep*Kick. You have destroyed every concept of life I've ever had.
have you tried to hold the pick parallel to the strings? i've found it the most comfortable position to play slow and quick, and has the most balanced tone overall. try it out.
firstly, emphasise to your teacher that you find the new picking technique hard and ask for pointers, like how hard to hold it, whether to rotate to pick or oscillate etc because you want to know how. And yes you're right, it does give a better tone, but at the end of the day you want to be able to play better full stop, regardless of picking style, so here's my suggestion:

learn as much from this guy as you can, and ultimately, if the technique doesn't work for you, it doesn't. I myself tried this technique (I found referring to it as the George Benson technique helped when explaining it) for about 6 months and it taught me alot about tone, pick angle and dynamics, but ultimately i swapped back because of consistency when speed picking. It's up to you. It's good to be able to use both techniques really, because it just expands your dynamic range and gives u new ideas to work with. And at least now I can say i've tried it and I know why I pick the way I choose to. Plus the learning experience was fun, but that's just my opinion.

Certain techniques are easier with this different angle of picking, some harder, i'll let u figure out which by experimentation =)
Last edited by yenners at Nov 9, 2008,
Heh, at least you're not cursed like me.
I pick like Shawn Lane, which is really awkward, and makes people think my picking technique is shit.
^ if you picked like shawn lane, people wouldn't have time to see whether your picking is good or not :P
Quote by RCalisto
^ if you picked like shawn lane, people wouldn't have time to see whether your picking is good or not :P

Haha, I've got the Dynamics and the Accenting and I barely make any movement, people automatically assume that because of that, I can't play O.o
i also hold the pick with three fingers, thumb, forefinger and middlefinger. is that how much in the wrong way?
Quote by Bebbo
i also hold the pick with three fingers, thumb, forefinger and middlefinger. is that how much in the wrong way?

Try it with just the thumb and the forefinger, and see if it's more comfortable.
Quote by Bebbo

Carlos Santana does this. If you are much more comfortable playing this way and are making progress with your 'advanced techniques' in this style, I wouldn't change.

Same with any picking style - Someone telling you another way is better may be good to try for awhile, but ultimately, the only reason you should deviate from what is comfortable for you personally, is when you realise its limitations.

Each picking style has its limitations, there is no one best picking style imo. Good players have learned technique tricks to overcome the limitations of their picking style, but I would go so far as to say EVERY picking style has limitations, and depending on your style you will have varying success with each, but how you pick is up to how difficult it is for u to overcome the limitations of that style.