How can u tell what key a song is written in?i never understood this!
search bar is your friend. also please check the music theory at the top of the page. we get this question 1-5 times a day in here. k thanks!
Or you could look it up on google and then if theres a certain part of it you dont understand then ask questions.
Quote by Winsbury
usually, if the first and last chord are the same, its in the key of whatever the chord is.
This is true because you said "usually."

Where the song ends is a good starting point, but you have to analyze the notes, think about them if there are chromatic tones, figure out to where those notes resolve, check for key changes, and before doing any of that, reading the theory lesson in my sig, the lessons in Freepower's sig, or the Crusade articles.
well
Learn the Circle Of Fifths
then you will understand if you see #'s and B's what key it is in
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Quote by Toast1337
then you will understand if you see #'s and B's what key it is in
I wouldn't assume that he's reading sheet music. Key signatures would be about the second topic you'd learn when learning how to read.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
I wouldn't assume that he's reading sheet music. Key signatures would be about the second topic you'd learn when learning how to read.

well then:
Major scale and chords
I is a major chord(C)
II minor(D)
III minor(E)
IV major(F)
V major(G)
VI minor(A)
VII dimished(H)
VIII(=I) major(C)
lets say you see a C major and E minor, G major, F major and an A minor chord in a song
Then you think about it
in which scale is a C, E,G,F and an A
well first order them:
C D E F G A
Then you think "Oh it could be the C major scale: C D E F G A H or the a minor scale
A H C D E F G"
but then you look at the chords

if it would be minor:
I minor(A)
II dimished(H)
III major(C)
IV minor (D)
V minor(E)
VI major(F)
VII major(G)
VIII(=I) minor(A)

But you got C major and E minor, G major, F major and an A minor chord
there is no C major or E minor in the scale A minor
so it is C major.

I dont know if it is clear now :/
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Quote by Toast1337
well then:
Major scale and chords...I dont know if it is clear now :/
First, we call the note B, not H. Secondly, your notation is wrong all over the place; if a chord is minor, you don't use capitalized Roman numerals. Third, the 5 chord in a minor key is implied to be major unless it is noted otherwise. Fourth, from where is your comment, "But you got...so it is C major," coming?
Quote by Toast1337
there is no C major or E minor in the scale A minor

Actually, you can technically use those two chords... E minor would be the fifth of an A minor scale, and C major would be the third. Just because they're not commonly used doesn't mean that you should just gloss over them.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by Page&HammettFan
Actually, you can technically use those two chords... E minor would be the fifth of an A minor scale, and C major would be the third. Just because they're not commonly used doesn't mean that you should just gloss over them.
C major/C5 is quite common in the key of Am. Em, is not, however, as the 5 chord in a minor key is generally major or dominant.
^
But it still does get use, right? It does in a few minor blues songs, so I figured it was worth mention. It may not be common, but it's not like I've never seen a minor v chord in a minor key, and I'm sure you have as well.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
But it still does get use, right? It does in a few minor blues songs, so I figured it was worth mention. It may not be common, but it's not like I've never seen a minor v chord in a minor key, and I'm sure you have as well.

In Western tonal music, dominant chords are major. A v chord is not unheard, but it's quite rare and barely functions as a dominant.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.