Yes i know "this is a guitar site"
but guitarists play many other instruments and i was wondering if any of you play violin.

i just purchased one a couple of hours ago and stupidly didnt pick up any books on it.
I'm looking for any websites/videos that teach a verrry basic introduction to violin

I.E. how to hold the violin, how to possition your bow, how much rosin to apply to my bow, maybe a couple of simple songs to learn, basicily everything.

any help/ideas much appreciated.
cheers.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...
I play the violin, or at least used to, maybe I can provide some tips.

1. I learned this from my teacher, when rosining your bow always move the bow NOT the rosin.

2. It's hard for me to describe how to hold a bow so I'll show you a picture and tell you the important parts to keep in mind when holding a bow. http://www.folkofthewood.com/images/holdingthebow2.jpg Your middle and ring finger should be together, the pinky should be placed on the screw of the bow.

If you have any other questions I'll be glad to try and help you if I can.
Quote by alkalineweeman
Yes i know "this is a guitar site"
but guitarists play many other instruments and i was wondering if any of you play violin.

i just purchased one a couple of hours ago and stupidly didnt pick up any books on it.
I'm looking for any websites/videos that teach a verrry basic introduction to violin

I.E. how to hold the violin, how to possition your bow, how much rosin to apply to my bow, maybe a couple of simple songs to learn, basicily everything.

any help/ideas much appreciated.
cheers.

Violin is a refined art. You're not gonna get much help here, so I definitely recommend getting a teacher.
Quote by Metalhead3333
Violin is a refined art. You're not gonna get much help here, so I definitely recommend getting a teacher.

Yes, I agree with this.

I just remembered another good tip. When your first starting out, place masking tape on the fingerboard of the violin to help you out. Kinda like this http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31YQHPWYMAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg but on the A, B, C, and D notes on the G string (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/e/e3/Violin_first_position_fingering_chart.svg/250px-Violin_first_position_fingering_chart.svg.png) but still keep it all across the fingerboard. This will help you remember finger placement. This is also called first position.
cheers much for the help guys, much appreciated.

i will get a teacher definatly, its just cos i've just got it i'm like a kid at xmas wanting to play with his new toy lol.

cheers again.
Originally Posted by Chromeproguitar
they make horrible noises in the middle of the night (is it sex?)

Quote by CliffIsAngry
I guess she's pretty hot if you're into that "having a good music video, but not better than Beyonce's" kind of thing...