I really considering picking one of these heads up just for a back/home amp, since the are so cheap, and since I really think the amp is capable to do what I want as far a tone is concerned. Although I have never played one I have played a JCM 800 and really its a tone that I just love, and is also one of the reason I bought the Triple XXX, since the crunch channel is very similar to a modded JCM800 and since the VTMs are just hotrodded JCM800 I think one would be right up my ally. Anyway my question is; Since all of these amps are going to be around 20 years old, is there any maintenance that should be done with an amp this age? I know tubes, but any capacitors that need replacing? I heard that caps need to replaced every 20 years or so, but friends Fender twin is well over 30 years old its bone stock. So is there any real need for concerns on a 20 year old amp?
Quote by Cachao

Johnbryant you are obviously a genius

My Gear
Custom USA Standard Telecaster
Peavey Triple XXX 212 Combo
Peavey MS412 Cab Celestion G12K-85's
POD 2.0 (the ultimate practice setup)
Guild DV6
Last edited by Johnbryant at Oct 24, 2008,
personally, outside of giving it a once over, I wouldn't mess with it. Let it go until something breaks. Might just be cool to know that everything is stock so you can show it off.

If you are gigging with it on the other hand...........
^well it'll be a backup so really as long as I can call it into duty without any worries a couple time a year or less it should be fine. I am very excited, cannot wait until Christmas, this will be my present to myself. I could buy one now, but if I bought everything I wanted all the time my wife would let me know about it, since I get pretty much what ever I want. Plus if I am still excited around Christmas I know it will be something I'll enjoy and actually want to keep. Seems like many of the things I buy on a whim I am not ultimately satisfied with so its usually better for me to actually wait.
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6
a friend of mine actually picked one of these babies up 2 months ago

the circuit was the original, iirc, and it was in very good shape. but that may vary on abuse another intangibles, right?

anyways stellar amp, dude. you may end up using as your main head instead of using it as a backup, haha loljk
if you love bbe products join the "i heart bbe" group. kthnx (click link below)
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/ilovebbe/

Quote by Dempsey68
get a cheap marshall... my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps.
yeah GAS is a b*tch!

i agree tho, nothing worth waiting for is worth it. I guess your set on it....good luck and have fun. Can't wait to see your New Amp Day.

oh, and if it makes you feel better you could always grab some of those components over the next few months on the cheap and have them ready just in case.
Quote by the boogieman
a friend of mine actually picked one of these babies up 2 months ago

the circuit was the original, iirc, and it was in very good shape. but that may vary on abuse another intangibles, right?

anyways stellar amp, dude. you may end up using as your main head instead of using it as a backup, haha loljk

lol The VTM probably does a more convincing JCM800 tone than my Triple XXX, but I really need/enjoy the versatility of have the second channel that's voiced so different and I like the gain structure of both channels of the triple, but I could see how I could get use to the simplicity and tone of the VTM. Also my triple XXX is a combo, if I had an issue, I would just set the VTM on top of my triple and Jerry-rig the speakers. I have a 412 cab but its to much of B*tch to lug a around, so its going to be my practice cab. lol
Quote by Cachao

My Gear
Guild DV6