When I turn the volume down on my amp way down, my EMG's sound like crap. Even the duncan designed pickups in my other guitar sound better. But when I crank the amp, they sound amazing, and way better than the other duncan designed pickups. Is this just my set of EMG's? Or do all EMG's do this? Thanks,
Be cool.
cos EMG's are sposed to be played loud!!!!! lol. i dunno dude. are your duncans active or passive?
why the hell are you turning your amp DOWN?
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by Sakattack75

maybe he too has a spider.
sorry, couldn't resist.
Quote by Sakattack75

Because my parents don't like it loud. To the guy above, the duncans are passive.
Be cool.
its probably something to do with the EMG's being active. well im guessing they are. there the only ones worth getting lol. maybe theres too much power going from the pickups to the amp at a low volume. i dunno. i have a duncan invader and it sounds alright at lower volumes and my mate has an 81 in his and it worked fine at a reasonably low volume. low enough so u can still hear other people speaking mind you lol
Because they're EMGs. Sounding crap is what they do.

EDIT: Didn't read the whole post. Whoops.
Probably your amp, EMGs tend to shine with tube amps. Then again, I've never played the Vox.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
okay EMGS are metal, have you ever heard of quiet metal? no? ok then, there is your answer, an emg routed guitar wont sound good at low volume because emgs arent made for quiet volume. The louder you play the better it sounds.

Also get real duncans, they sound good at any sound level and you can add fuzz for the same effect as emgs, basically.
Quote by filthandfury
What if I accidentally wee in her?

When I arrive will God be waiting and pacing around his throne?
Will he feel a little Old Testament?
And will he celebrate with fire and brimstone
Yeah, I admit, I am afraid of the reckoning
Quote by tona_107
maybe he too has a spider.
sorry, couldn't resist.

touche, asswipe
Gear
Ibanez RG2EX2
Epiphone Les Paul
Fender Strat
Homemade EVH
Marshall JCM 800 Combo

Quote by freshtunes
its not so much that i feel guilty about masturbating, its the things that i masturbate to that make me feel guilty.
Quote by DrPepper09
okay EMGS are metal, have you ever heard of quiet metal? no? ok then, there is your answer, an emg routed guitar wont sound good at low volume because emgs arent made for quiet volume. The louder you play the better it sounds.

Also get real duncans, they sound good at any sound level and you can add fuzz for the same effect as emgs, basically.

yeah...your wrong....EMGs aren't only for metal.....

but i really cant answer your question because i don't have that problem at all...i used the original duncans that came in my guitar..and it sounded...different but not better or anything like that at low volumes..and i have a tube amp so i cant really try out using a SS.....could be the way its wired and its picking up more noise and fuzz from the amp than it should be....or maybe just your amp in general
Stop Reading My Signature

Gear:
Schecter C-1 Blackjack w/ EMG 81/85 PA2
Schecter C-1 Classic
Carvin V3m
Boss GE-7
Boss DD-3
im pretty sure thats just the way they are made. It has to do with the preamps or whatever inside of the pickup.

Ive heard people complain about it before on here.
its just a general thing for all pickups. you loose tone when you turn your volume down with any pickup. not just emgs. as far as for you other duncans, they just simply sound better at lower volumes. could be that they were designed for that even. dunno.
This thread really attracted idiots.

Anyways, are you talking about turning the volume down on your guitar or your amp?
emgs are supposed to increase the drive and saturation on a tube amp. So low volume on SS is the exact opposite there for it sounds like ass
Gear:
Aria lawsuit V
epiphone E-310 strat copy
peavey vypyr 15
boss blues driver II
Kramer striker 100st (invader pickup)
Randall RG50tc

EHX Metal Muff
you're turning the volume down on a tube amp?

Tube amps sound like ass at low volumes, that's why.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
EMG's r teh bst puckups in teh wrld, i can get all teh sownds frm tehm, jasz, blus, mtal, from SVR to Metalca. hahahahah yeah EMGs aren't for quiet playin' really just metal, but most high output passives put them to shame (X2N's FTW)
Quote by Evian
This thread really attracted idiots.

Anyways, are you talking about turning the volume down on your guitar or your amp?

I am talking about my amp.
Be cool.
I think, maybe, it's because the speaker is pushing less air, which makes it muddy as hell.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
I think, maybe, it's because the speaker is pushing less air, which makes it muddy as hell.

That's my guess too.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by thedude051
When I turn the volume down on my amp way down

This.
Also, is it a tube or SS amp? Tube amps are best for actives.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by thedude051
Hybrid amp. It's a Vox Valvetronix.

Oh.
Then they're going to sound bad regardless of volume.
GHOST BLOWJOB!
WHOOO! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Quote by aznrockerdude
That's my guess too.

Yeah, it happens to me on my Valvestate. Good God, I must get rid of my amp.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, it happens to me on my Valvestate. Good God, I must get rid of my amp.

The older VSs aren't bad: Chuck of Death got a good tone out of them (imo) and Carcass used one (or some other Marshall practice amp) along with a 5150 to record Heartwork.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The older VSs aren't bad: Chuck of Death got a good tone out of them (imo) and Carcass used one (or some other Marshall practice amp) along with a 5150 to record Heartwork.

No it's a late '90s one not the original... It's too fizzy and not chunky enough for me.
Current Gear:
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
loud amps just sound good with little regard to whats going into them.. if the emgs sound like crap at quiet levels.. maybe the batteries are going.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
EMG's can sound great at high volumes but thats really because they are
one-trick ponies when compared to well built passive pups.

Its like Screaming vs Singing

When Screaming you can make a bad ass hardcore song...
but you loose all of the subtle things and range you can reach
with your voice when singing.

Chunky palm mutes..riffage and harmonics....EMG all day
but if you want more of the spectrum of sound go Passive.

The disadvantage of the passive pups is that most are not as
forgiving when u make mistakes as actives. The extended range of
tones also causes errors to be more audible. Which is why some
anti-active players label EMG's for "lazy" players or doubt their skill
level.

Also with a valvestate amp at low levels...you may be driving past
clipping levels. They dont always get along well with active pups and
really hot pedals.
I bet Charlie Brown's teacher's name was Mrs.Hammett