I would like to change my guitar necks from dots to trapezoids or some other shape (not sure yet) is this possible to do or do I have to buy a new neck?
its possible
you would have to bring it to a pro though
they just cut out the shape you want then the put the inlay in and then like magic its a totally new neck
also depends what type of guitar/neck you have
You should have put all of your questions in one thread :nono:
Anyway, yes it is possible, but will be very hard to do without setting up a flat plat form for your dremel or router, as it will be way to hard to do on the neck itself fretted and radiused. You can make a small templates or if you already have the inlays you can trace the outline with an etcher pen(?) and the put crushed chalk over the outline, then you wipe the other chalk away and you'll have a chalk outline of your inlay. When routing out the wood on the line the chalk will dissapear and tell you when you've done that side, if you get what I mean .....
Quote by ChrisL120
couldn't I just do that with the right tools?

yeah and a lot of time and a steady hand
I still think it would be smarter to bring 2 a pro
but its your guitar not mine
I've posted it in a topic before this one but no one responded [or atleast I think no one has]
Well the thing is I'm not sure if I wanna take it to a pro or not, because I'm not sure how much it would cost.
Go on ebay and check out the stuff from a seller called Creative Cuts or even just search for inlays and they should come up. They're basically permanent-ish decals that cover the dots and they actually look pretty good. Best of all, its much less work and you don't have to keep them if you change your mind. I actually have a set which you can find on my UG profile. Let me know if you have trouble finding those though.
Quote by ChrisL120
I've posted it in a topic before this one but no one responded [or atleast I think no one has]

Thats exactly why I just reported you for spam...
Wow really?Instead of being a total dick couldn't you just have posted in the other one? That way I wouldn't have made this one?Ya that woulda been nice.
^ You left 33 minutes between posting the first thread and the second thread!!!

How can you expect to have an answer in that time? You should leave at least a couple of days before even bumping the first topic, and you never need to post another thread on the exact same topic.

If you have never done inlay work before your better off getting a pro to do it,

or get a dremel, some MOP and a spare bit of wood and start practicing...

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
That's a bit over the top. A whole day before I even bump something in a topic where my post may even be lost?That's not smart...at all.

How long have you been posting in forums?
I've got almost no experience when it comes to wood working, but when I have done it I've done it to near perfection so who knows.
Quote by ChrisL120
That's a bit over the top. A whole day before I even bump something in a topic where my post may even be lost?That's not smart...at all.

How long have you been posting in forums?

I run my own forums, and have run other forums, mods and admins dont prune these forums for months at a time, so your post will not be lost, and if you cant even find your own thread in a days time to bump it, then you shouldnt even be allowed to use a computer.

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
^ wow... this dude needs a chill pill...

www.guitarjonesusa.com

buy trapezoids from there - 40 bucks i think they cost. hell, buy the fake MOP it's cheaper

drill out the old inlays, use an exacto knife to scratch the shape of the new inlay onto the board, fill it with powder, use a stewmac router base to cut the cavity open until the powder disappears, test fit and repeat. then use epoxy and sawdust to seat the inlay in place and sand flush...

if you do it the cheap way and don't remove the frets it can still come out nice but it'll take longer. if you take out the old frets and refret the neck when you do it, you can level the board a little better. I've inlaid on radiused boards you just have to be careful... it's not all that hard just take your time

oh, and with frets you're going to have to set up some kind of flat surface to work on while you inlay...

it's as simple as that...

but settle the f*k down dude
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Last edited by nuthinbuttrubl8 at Oct 24, 2008,
Thank you for the idea, i'm gonna try that.

And the only reason I'm freaking out is because I don't like it when people think they know everything and think they're like, superior or something y'know?
i hear ya. there's a lot of that on here

>.>

<.<
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Either take it to a pro, or go to Warmoth, they sell necks that fit on most guitars and for a bit extra they'll give you custom inlays.
Rig
Fender 09 Standard Strat>Wilson Ten Spot II Wah>Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion>EHX Big Muff Pi>Boss CE-2 Chorus>Crate V32 Palomino 212
Fender Deluxe Active Jazz Bass>(Same Pedals)>AcousticB20

Quote by WtrPlyr
I'm with DeltaFunk
dude you can just get some inlay stickers
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by sandman-105
dude you can just get some inlay stickers

But that's pretty lame.

Guy- "Hey man, that inlay job is really cool, did yo do it yourself?"
You- "Yeah, I peeled off the paper and stuck it on myself."
Guy-"....."
Weekend Warrior
Quote by ChrisL120
And the only reason I'm freaking out is because I don't like it when people think they know everything and think they're like, superior or something y'know?

look man. if you go to your profile, you will see everything you posted in the course of the last 10,000 or so posts. (I made that number up it's probably wrong, but you get the idea) but anyways, on UG they only delete really old threads, like, 2 years without any new posts. and these people, even if annoyed by you, left you advice for what to do next time. you told them they were wrong and to stop acting like they are better than you.

they have been on this site longer, and may have received warnings for the very things you are doing. they know what they are talking about. the internet may not have rules, but this website does. so get off your high horse and follow them.

also, those peel off stickers aren't always so perfect, I saw a guy string bend one off. if you want inlays, you gotta do it right.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
^----I wasn't saying they were wrong, I was saying they were really friggin rude about it. And he said I should go page through page for it. And I didn't even know you could do that on your profile [not good with profile stuff]

Though they'd be quick an easy, using stickers would be kinda like putting painting a picture on your t.v screen. You ruin the t.v and you've got stuff that take forever to peel off.

I wanna do it the right way, but I'm looking for someone local so I don't have to send my guitar out to somebody.
Quote by ML_Guitar09
But that's pretty lame.

Guy- "Hey man, that inlay job is really cool, did yo do it yourself?"
You- "Yeah, I peeled off the paper and stuck it on myself."
Guy-"....."

so who give a shit, i mean inlays dont have any tone changing properties so why spend a bunch on inlays and risk completely ****ing the neck or on the flip side spending a god awful amount to get some dude at a store to put em in when you just put a sticker set on for like 10-20 bucks
best YouTube video ever

Quote by Crazymike100
Honesty is the best policy!

...Unless your trying to get a job. In which case, lie like you just got pulled over with a dead body and some shovels in the back seat.

Gear in Profile

Like NCIS
Quote by ChrisL120
^----I wasn't saying they were wrong, I was saying they were really friggin rude about it. And he said I should go page through page for it. And I didn't even know you could do that on your profile [not good with profile stuff]

Though they'd be quick an easy, using stickers would be kinda like putting painting a picture on your t.v screen. You ruin the t.v and you've got stuff that take forever to peel off.

I wanna do it the right way, but I'm looking for someone local so I don't have to send my guitar out to somebody.

you can also searchbar. it usually is on the first page. finally, go to New members and FAQ and read that stuff.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom