for pop punk/punk, nice crunch, sexy distortion, and more than decent cleans?

similar sounding im looking for:

Angels & Airwaves (i like this soothing high pitched tangy sound, distortion yet not distortion?)
Blink 182 (the last album guitar tone sounds gorgeous)
3 Days Grace / 3 Doors down / Thrice (very thick sexy distortion solid, screaming)
metalica ( again distortion)
Decent cleans.

so basically a guitar that can go from some real disstortion to blink 182 type pop punk.

also another fact im worring about.
HSS = Light , Thin neck , easy to play wit on stage, fun
LP = heavy, thick neck

i wear my guitar kind of low.

so which should i get
Epiphone

Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus-Top, SH-2 and SH-5
Ibanez GRX20
Baron Acoustic
Peavey Valveking 112
Roland Cube 15
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
Boss BF-3 Flanger
I don't think anyone can tell you which kind of guitar you prefer. It's all about your personal taste. Just go to a store and try them...then pick your favourite.

I guess there could be a case for the strat being slightly more versatile, but it only sounds like you want two sounds - a rock clean and a rock dist.

Good luck...
This is a lie...no reason why...right from the outset
the epiphone matches the styles you mentioned, and all of those bands use guitars with humbuckers. i say epiphone
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
standard epiphone les paul with Gibson Dirtyfingers pickups put in
i have one and it sounds awesome
tom delonge sig guitar also uses Dirtyfingers
Originally Posted by InvaderTSN
Step 1: Buy popcorn.
Step 2: Cut hole in bottom of popcorn bucket.
Step 3: Stick penis through hole.
Step 4: Ask date to get some popcorn.
Step 5: ???
Step 6: Profit!
Quote by Bigdave9576
I don't think anyone can tell you which kind of guitar you prefer. It's all about your personal taste. Just go to a store and try them...then pick your favourite.

I guess there could be a case for the strat being slightly more versatile, but it only sounds like you want two sounds - a rock clean and a rock dist.

Good luck...

this is solid advice
make sure you play as many guitars as possible before you buy to make sure your getting the right one but!
Pull my finger

Quote by Explicit User

"Kyle.. Do you know what homosex is?"
me:"...yes... why?"
"Do you want to have it?"
Me again:"...no Anthony..no i don't"
"Oh.. okay.. good night"

haha

Quote by madhampster
Dear god the pit is a force to be reckoned with.
I doubt you'd get Metallica's distortion with Fender's stock humbuckers. In my opinion they're even worse than Epi's stock humbuckers.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
I'd say the HSS and swap out the bridge to somthing hotter.

But that's my opinion, go try them out.
Peavey 6505+
Fender Hot Rod Deville 410
Fender Telecaster Blacktop
Gretsch G5120
Hm, I'd go for an Agile with a pickup change.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by xfallchildx

HSS = Light , Thin neck , easy to play wit on stage, fun
LP = heavy, thick neck
Actually, the Epi neck is slimmer than the Fender neck. The Gibson 60's neck is also about the same size as the Fender. It's only the Gibson 50's and '59 necks which are noticably thicker (and even then, it's not much thicker)

Anyway, for the styles you mention, I'd say the Strat is the better option.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Actually, the Epi neck is slimmer than the Fender neck. The Gibson 60's neck is also about the same size as the Fender. It's only the Gibson 50's and '59 necks which are noticably thicker (and even then, it's not much thicker)

Anyway, for the styles you mention, I'd say the Strat is the better option.

really now. ive heard that les paul's necks are really thick! guess ive heard wrong.

and to all, yeah im gonna switch out pickups..
Last edited by xfallchildx at Oct 27, 2008,
I love my HSS American Deluxe. I think I prefer it over my Les Pauls. I would prefer a better humbucker in the bridge than the enforcer though, but that will be easy to resolve. I say go for an HSS Fender Strat.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by DespisedIcon
Schecter.

Stop being such an ignorant fanboy.

For TS, get a epi LP of some sort, maybe a LP Ultra if you are afraid of the weight.
Gear:
95' Fender Richie Sambora Standard Stratocaster
06' Symphony SD54
07' Epiphone Les Paul Custom Plus
08' Recording King RD-17CFE
Fender G-DEC30
Line 6 POD XT
Blackstar Series One 45 Combo
10' Ernie Ball MusicMan JP6 BFR
Quote by xfallchildx
but really i have heard the complete opposite of the necks of a LP and a strat
The problem is, when most people think of a 'LP neck', they think of the big necks that Les Pauls made in 1959 had. All the necks on '59 LPs were slightly different, but most were just under 1" thick all-round (compared to most Fender necks which were around 0.80" at their thickest).

However, most Gibsons - and all Epiphones - don't have that neck. Most Gibsons have the earlier '50's neck' or the slim-taper 60's neck. That 50's neck is pretty much right in between the '59 neck and the Fender neck, and the 60's slim taper neck is just a little thicker than a Fender neck at the high frets and about the same as a Fender neck at the low frets.

Then there's the Epiphone neck profile. Epiphone have always used their own necks, they don't use Gibson neck profiles. The Epiphone neck profile is a little slimmer than a Fender neck at the low frets, and around the same at the high frets. There are a couple of Epis that use a different neck (like their extra-thin Prophecy series, or the thicker neck on the Slash Signature), but most use the standard Epi neck.

Which is why I'm amazed at how many people say Les Pauls have thick necks. Yes, there are some LPs, made many decades ago, that have thick necks. But even then it was only .20" thicker than a regular Fender neck, and the vast majority of modern LPs from both Gibson and Epiphone have necks very similar to the Fender neck, so there's really not much in it.

Really the only 'speed' features the Fender has over an LP neck is Fender's fretwire is usually fractionally higher than Gibson or Epiphone's, and some people find higher fretwire easier to play quickly on. Apart from that though, they're virtually the same these days.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
The problem is, when most people think of a 'LP neck', they think of the big necks that Les Pauls made in 1959 had. All the necks on '59 LPs were slightly different, but most were just under 1" thick all-round (compared to most Fender necks which were around 0.80" at their thickest).

However, most Gibsons - and all Epiphones - don't have that neck. Most Gibsons have the earlier '50's neck' or the slim-taper 60's neck. That 50's neck is pretty much right in between the '59 neck and the Fender neck, and the 60's slim taper neck is just a little thicker than a Fender neck at the high frets and about the same as a Fender neck at the low frets.

Then there's the Epiphone neck profile. Epiphone have always used their own necks, they don't use Gibson neck profiles. The Epiphone neck profile is a little slimmer than a Fender neck at the low frets, and around the same at the high frets. There are a couple of Epis that use a different neck (like their extra-thin Prophecy series, or the thicker neck on the Slash Signature), but most use the standard Epi neck.

Which is why I'm amazed at how many people say Les Pauls have thick necks. Yes, there are some LPs, made many decades ago, that have thick necks. But even then it was only .20" thicker than a regular Fender neck, and the vast majority of modern LPs from both Gibson and Epiphone have necks very similar to the Fender neck, so there's really not much in it.

Really the only 'speed' features the Fender has over an LP neck is Fender's fretwire is usually fractionally higher than Gibson or Epiphone's, and some people find higher fretwire easier to play quickly on. Apart from that though, they're virtually the same these days.

thanks a lot for all the info.
i think ill just get the epi LP thx again to everyone
Quote by xfallchildx
how do u compare YOUR necks

That is the primary reasons that I like the MAerican Deluxe Stratocaster better than my Les Pauls. The neck is incredible. The neck is so fast and easy to play. Your hand and fingers just glide across the neck and down the frets. The Les Paul is like a workout to play comparatively speaking. I can play my Strat with so little effort it feels as if I am not even fretting notes out properly, but the sound is clear and amazing.

I may have just gotten lucky with my Stratocaster. I can set the action about half the height of my Les Paul action and down tune the Strat and it still does not fret out. I have it down tuned right now and the action is not much more than a pick thickness at the 12th fret. I have never had a neck I could set so low and not fret out. It actually took me a while to get used to playing it this low and I raised i a bit for a while. I just put it back down to play around and it is amazing their. My Les Pauls would be shit if I set them this low.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212