Page 1 of 2
i have recently decided that i am meant to be paired with a peavey tripple xxx head. expensive, i know, yet its worth it.

now what cab?

(2x12 or 4x12 cabs preferably. if its over my price range listed down below then whats the 2x12 model price)

classifications
-a great low end chug but not much of a very bassy tone. i dont want the bass to literally flood the rest of my tone

-decent mids. i want to have it be able to deliver a definite punch and chug in my bass line and link my treble at least some mellowness

-Brilliant Highs, i would love it to really have a definite, clear, and sensitive high control.

Ill edit this as i get more narrowing posts. really, because of my lack of knowledge with cabs, it wouldnt be much of a help if i use the search bar. all i know is that v30s are cool and the heavyer (weight wise) the better. but i dont care about weight too much unless it affects my tone

Like i said, ill edit this as you guys help me out and so that i dont look as stupid as i feel as i am about this. This is not the pit guys so dont be rude,

Edit:Budget. 700 Dollars (stupid mistake, forgot to add that before)
schecter hellraiser c-1 fr
GAS list...
Mesa roadster with 2/12 recto cab
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
Last edited by xFinnellx at Oct 26, 2008,
hmm, thats quite nice. thankyou.

are my specifications able to be found in cabinet tho?
GAS list...
PGM 301
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels
get a krank cab with texas heat. i recently replaced the cab that i use to pair up with the triple xxx in the studio with them and the tone is just immense.
mesa will be too expensive.

how are the marshall 1960's?
GAS list...
PGM 301
The Marshall 1960a (if thats what your talking about as there are many different 1960 styles of that cab out there) cabs are good but i think a Mesa cab would fit your discription better
Oversized Avatar 4x12 with V30's and G12H's in an X ?
IMO vader or VHT. VHT is my absolute favorite
Bugera 333XL
Epiphone SG
Ibanez Flanger
Shitty casette Recorder
Crate RFX 120

Member of the Bugera Users Militia
ok, so what is it that i need to look into a cab?

what kind of speakers alone fit my description?

EDIT: Christ almighty, Mesa Cabs used for 500$?!
GAS list...
PGM 301
Last edited by xFinnellx at Oct 25, 2008,
ok, i need to bump this.

what mesa cab specifically?
what other cabs can i also look at?
what should i look into the cab quality?
what speakers shuld i be looking at?

i need a few more answers and a broader range so that i can go to guitar center (cuz i have a really great one where i live, and can try out almost all products on the market)
GAS list...
PGM 301
Celestion G12-75 sounds suited for you, have a look at a Marshall 1960 cab?

Edit: Scratch that, I forgot Peaveys dont take kindly to 1960 a/b's imo, have a look at avatar or vaders with V30s??
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Oct 26, 2008,
so i am mainly searching for v30's for my tone? the mesa recti cabs have v30's.

ok, i think i might just get a Mesa Boogie Recti 212.

any objections?
GAS list...
PGM 301
The orange 2x12 i linked has v30's and is cheaper and probably just as good
Ibanez PGM301 signed by Paul Gilbert
Ibanez PGM 500
Ibanez Fireman custom
Saving for a GH100L/VH100R
Orange PPC212 2X12
Quote by sharpant
The orange 2x12 i linked has v30's and is cheaper and probably just as good

but isnt it 380 euro's? i live in america so 380 euros is around 700$ in america i believe. the recti over here goes cheaper, its around 500$ used.
GAS list...
PGM 301
I like the Dr. Z alot better than the Orange. The cabinet has a Vintage 30 and a GH12 30 speaker. The Dr. Z is also tuned and ported. The low end response in much better than the Orange PPC, not boomy, very linear, and the cabinet is very clear and does not get fizzy with high gain like the Orange tended to try and do. he combo speakers really help with that. Leads cut through nicely. The Dr. Z is perhaps 10 to 15 pounds lighter which is very sweet when lugging it around.

What ever you get, tryand find a cabinet that is tuned and ported, not just sealed. This kaes a huge difference in low end linear response as they can tune the cabinet to hit at certain frequencies that would naturally be left wanting without the porting.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
what are the pricings on the DR. z amps? how much did you pay for your Best?
GAS list...
PGM 301
$ 779.00 from Elite Music in Alabama. I am in Florida so they were close. Nice Abotique shop with most of the boutique brands in stock. It was actually hard to find a black Z Best is stock somewhere.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Used 1960s or a new avatar/vader cab. Will give you win.
(۳ ˚Д˚۳
WTFISTHIS****!?!??

My Rig

Quote by SimplyBen
Wait until he's trying the fullstack, then shove it from behind. Crushing him with it's overdrive

Quote by BobDetroit
You can't tune a LP copies down. Some kind of lawsuit Gibson won. Sorry.
Get a 410. 10 inch speakers rule for guitar.
Gear:
Fender Stratocaster
Gibson SG w/ Bigsby
Ibanez Roadster Bass
Sovtek MiG 60
Marshall 1965B
Maestro Echoplex EP-3
MXR Ten Band EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Ross Phaser
Boss DD-6
i have a xxx also...tried every cab i could find,...found happiness in the mesa recto...i prefer the 4x12...but the 2x12 recto cab made it a bit tighter.

the marshall mode four cab is the only marshall cab worth looking at for the xxx..

good luck
G12t-75's are not a good choice for a Triple. I own a Marshall 1960b and they sound horrid through my Ultra (pretty much the same amp) also have tested out those cabs on a Triple with same results. I prefer anything with a Vintage 30 in it, Marshall Vintage, Mesa, Vader, Orange and so on.
wow guys. so the mesa sounds like a win.

my tone needs to be very tight so the 212 sounds kickass. and i guess ill have to scratch the DR.Z. they look funny too.

well alright. I need to find the cab for cheap. do any of you guys have a mesa/boogie recto 212 cab for sale?
GAS list...
PGM 301
Quote by IbanezPsycho
G12t-75's are not a good choice for a Triple. I own a Marshall 1960b and they sound horrid through my Ultra (pretty much the same amp) also have tested out those cabs on a Triple with same results. I prefer anything with a Vintage 30 in it, Marshall Vintage, Mesa, Vader, Orange and so on.

hey man...i almost bought a peavey ultra head last week..it was only $200 bucks!!..went back to buy it the next day..it was gone...still kicking myself in the ass!

i used to be a peavey hater,.. now i love um...
Quote by jessexxx
hey man...i almost bought a peavey ultra head last week..it was only $200 bucks!!..went back to buy it the next day..it was gone...still kicking myself in the ass!

i used to be a peavey hater,.. now i love um...

That's why I love the shop I deal with, he will put it in the back for me to save it for a few days and for longer holds I can just drop a few bucks on it and say its layaway until I decide if I want it or not. But yea i've been burned like that many times and almost pulled the same thing with my Ultra head because I was holding out for a 6505. I'm glad I pulled the trigger its a great amp.
guitarcenter actually has great deals on used gear.

why do people hate guitarcenter so much? i love it. the ones that i have been to are awesome. my local one in kirkland have so many mesa amps and a huge show room
GAS list...
PGM 301
Quote by xFinnellx
guitarcenter actually has great deals on used gear.

why do people hate guitarcenter so much? i love it. the ones that i have been to are awesome. my local one in kirkland have so many mesa amps and a huge show room

people hate on guitar center because they are the walmart of music stores..the starbucks of guitar ,...i am not sure if all guitar centers are like this..but the 2 i have been in as soon as ya walk through the door worker dudes are shaking your hand,..smiling at ya,..asking if you have tried out the new whatever yet,..acting like your there long lost bud,..sometimes i dont feel like being nice,...sometimes i dont wanna talk,...just leave me alone sometimes..!!!
Quote by IbanezPsycho
That's why I love the shop I deal with, he will put it in the back for me to save it for a few days and for longer holds I can just drop a few bucks on it and say its layaway until I decide if I want it or not. But yea i've been burned like that many times and almost pulled the same thing with my Ultra head because I was holding out for a 6505. I'm glad I pulled the trigger its a great amp.

the thing is,..i tried it out,...liked it,..had the cake right in my pocket,...walked out the door,...started to talk to myself on the way home..."why didnt ya buy it"..go back!!!

i wish i could say this was the first time i let something like this slip through my fingers,...i do the same thing with women!

ha!
Quote by jessexxx
the thing is,..i tried it out,...liked it,..had the cake right in my pocket,...walked out the door,...started to talk to myself on the way home..."why didnt ya buy it"..go back!!!

i wish i could say this was the first time i let something like this slip through my fingers,...i do the same thing with women!

ha!

I throw it on layway now even with cash in hand to make sure I really want it before I drop the cash on it. Ill go home research it a bit more, go out and test everything else I wanted to test then decide to pull the trigger from that. Im doing that with a bass guitar now, deal was to good to be true so I dropped in layway researched it and turned out it is a great deal so i'm glade I dropped it in. Plus I usually you can always put the money towards something else or just pull it out if you decide different.
can you guys help me out with speakers. i feel un edjumacated about them. can someone help?

another question (this has to be a dumb one). whats the significance of headroom and what determines it?
GAS list...
PGM 301
Quote by xFinnellx
can you guys help me out with speakers. i feel un edjumacated about them. can someone help?

another question (this has to be a dumb one). whats the significance of headroom and what determines it?

try something with v-30's...but by all means try out everything you can find...high gain amps can be a fizzy mess with the wrong speaker...
ok, ill keep that in mind jesse. the mesa recti looks perfect for what i wana do
GAS list...
PGM 301
Once upon a time, I ran a 5150II through a Carvin 412. Loud, Clear, Butch as Hell. Those cabs have tons of projection. Afforable too, but where a back brace when lifting.
I use a Mesa Traditional size 4x12 Recto cab with my Peavey JSX. The V30's have great projection, clarity and a mild speaker crunch that works well with the amp. V30's have a nice, natural sounding midrange that allows me to reduce the JSX's mids somewhat for a tighter modern metal rhythm tone. The cab cuts like a knife while still having a fast, thick and tight bass response.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
I use a Mesa Traditional size 4x12 Recto cab with my Peavey JSX. The V30's have great projection, clarity and a mild speaker crunch that works well with the amp. V30's have a nice, natural sounding midrange that allows me to reduce the JSX's mids somewhat for a tighter modern metal rhythm tone. The cab cuts like a knife while still having a fast, thick and tight bass response.

+1
Quote by Van Noord

thanks dude. is there a projection and tone difference between slant 412's and straight 412's?
GAS list...
PGM 301
Try a Basson or an Earcandy Buzzbomb. Neither are knkown relatively well but they are both of amazing quality.
98% of people have read that stupid 98% teens and alcohol sig, put this in your sig if you like getting hammered.

Thats it.
Quote by xFinnellx

What about speakers? Size? Wattage? Which are good/bad? Headroom is between two things, depends what you're referring to. Headroom in an amp is having high wattage. A 150w amp will break up later than a 75w amp will. In a cabinet, head room is having 400w while every amp head you could connect to it will max out at 150 or so watts.

Quote by xFinnellx
thanks dude. is there a projection and tone difference between slant 412's and straight 412's?

Projection, yeah. Tone I'm not sure. A straight cab pushes a flat piece of air since all the speakers are knee height straight ahead.

A slanted cabinet has the top two speakers pointed up at 30* or so.
Quote by sargasm
There are no genres in metal that end with "core."
Quote by xFinnellx
Not really, other than the fact that the slant's top two speakers are projecting upwards and hitting your ears more. Mic'ed up, the recorded tone is nearly identical.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by jessexxx
i have a xxx also...tried every cab i could find,...found happiness in the mesa recto...i prefer the 4x12...but the 2x12 recto cab made it a bit tighter.

the marshall mode four cab is the only marshall cab worth looking at for the xxx..

good luck

Yeah, seriously.
With XXX's you need something that's fairly smooth in the high end or it's going to be piercing as ****.
Mesa Recto cab + XXX is pretty much the epic win.

I'd suggest the oversized cos XXX's can be a bit on the thin sounding side.
Page 1 of 2