So i just found out my ec-400 have pair of 81 instead of 81/60. I play lot of classic rock and lot of clean stuff, is it worth it to swap it out?
Bedroom Set up:

ESP LTD EC-400 with 81/60 EMG
Yamaha SJ550HR, 1980's Strat (rare guitar)
Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Saving up for ESP Uruha's Signature Guitar
Yes, it will have a much better clean tone. And you won't have to solder anything with quick connect wiring.

Btw what year is your EC-400?
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
i bought it used and the dude sold it to me doesn't know. the 2 emgs on it look identical so i figure both are 81 cause the 60 one have different color.

and what do u mean exactly by quick wiring? i heard it just pop the cap and connect right?
Bedroom Set up:

Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Quote by zerocrack
i bought it used and the dude sold it to me doesn't know. the 2 emgs on it look identical so i figure both are 81 cause the 60 one have different color.

and what do u mean exactly by quick wiring? i heard it just pop the cap and connect right?

This. Once you have the pickup out, you just unhook it and hook the other one up, screw it in and you're golden.

The 81 will have silver lettering on the logo, 60's have a slightly darker grayish color.
Quote by Steven Wright
If God dropped acid, would he see people?
Duncan Blackouts. I just put some in my Agile PS900. They are WAY warmer sounding than EMG's.
Quote by madrigal77
Duncan Blackouts. I just put some in my Agile PS900. They are WAY warmer sounding than EMG's.

do they wang just as hard?
"It sounded so good and when i put it on a Line 6 Spider with a Zoom guitar efect petal it sounded so good" - Dean SplitTail review on musicians friend
Quote by zakkwyldefan79
I can get pretty good cleans out of my EMG 85. You want to check them out I personally like the 85 better than the 60. You may want to consider the 18v mod too.

what extacly is 18v mod? is it easy to do and what benefit i can get from it?
Bedroom Set up:

Crate v18
Digitech Bad Monkey
Vintage 30 Speaker
Metal Muff

Quote by zerocrack
what extacly is 18v mod? is it easy to do and what benefit i can get from it?

The 18v mod uses 2 9v batteries to power the pickups instead of one. Some people even use a toggle switch to switch between 9v and 18v. Active pickups usually sound compressed and this mod gives them a more open sound. Some people say it gives them more headroom, greater articulation when using lots of gain and much better cleans. It's easy to do and here's a link to the 18v mod thread. It shows how to do it and there are comments from alot of guys that have done this mod.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=941907