Working on some Mayer stuff and run into a couple things new to me:

#1:

--5---------------------
--x---------------------
--5---------------------
------------------------
------------------------
------------------------

Sometimes it's to be done quickly after another chord. In the above would it be index muting B, middle on D and ring on high E ??

------------------------
--------------------2---
---------2------2-------
-----6------4-----------
-----4------4-----------
--2---------2-----------

^^^ From Find Another You, a bit tricky for me. I am doing it by barring on 2nd fret and putting middle finger on A and pinky on D, then for the 244--- just keeping the barre and putting ring and pinky on A and D.

Just wanna avoid bad habits, appreciate any help, thx
michael
Look man, let me tell ya... the best way to learn to play ANYTHING by John Mayer is to look at who influenced him. I mean seriously, check out some early Stevie Ray, late Clapton, mid 16th century BB King, and everything by this band http://www.myspace.com/regurgitationmusic
Your friend in Christ,
Todd Calrissian
Quote by michaelscofield
In the above would it be index muting B...and ring on high E ??

Yes.

Quote by michaelscofield
middle on D

How is D involved?

Quote by michaelscofield

I am doing it by barring on 2nd fret and putting middle finger on A and pinky on D, then for the 244--- just keeping the barre and putting ring and pinky on A and D.
That's one of the harder chords to play due to the awkward stretch to fret-6, but you're playing it correctly.

Quote by ToddC
Look man, let me tell ya... the best way to learn to play ANYTHING by John Mayer is to look at who influenced him.
How odd. I would have thought that the best way to learn to do something would be to do it. Maybe I should practice my 3-point shot by practicing free throws or washing cars; if I do that, maybe I'll be able to make the team as a walk-on next year!
Last edited by bangoodcharlote at Oct 24, 2008,
Ah crap I meant G lol

Thanks folks, and Todd yes I am also starting learn stuff by SRV, King, Hendrix, etc. Their influence is really clear on Mayer, and these guys are my favourites, lotta work ahead of me hehe
Quote by ToddC
mid 16th century BB King
Am I missing something?
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Quote by bangoodcharlote
It's a joke about B.B. King's age.
Oh...I get it. Early, late, old black man. Right.
Quote by TGautier13
Because e-cred on a sub-par 4Chan knockoff forum is what everyone strives to achieve.
We believe - so we're misled
We assume - so we're played
We confide - so we're deceived
We trust - so we're betrayed
Another one:

bend 1212 up 1½
-10---------10----12b------------
----13b14---------12b------------
------------------------------

There's a lot of the 10 then 13b14's quickly before the 10 and then 1212 bend. Which finger(s) to use for that bend? I'm having a tough time bending that much and squeezing two fingers on the fret, and my index if I barre it keeps kinda slipping over the strings as it bends if I try it that way

Thanks again y'all are super helpful!!