Hey dudes, I'm new here and over the summer I bought an Ampeg 4x10HE, and then just recently I bought a B-2RE also from Ampeg. Both were claimed to be in perfect working condition. Now I hooked this baby up, and the only way I could produce a loud sound was to turn up the gain, which has a very annoying distortion. My teacher told me to put the gain at "5" and then turn up master volume from there. I tried that and it didn't work. If anyone knows what's goin' on and could help me, that'd be sweeeeet. Thanks.
Listen I'll be honest, I didn't read your post, but look man, let me tell ya... the best way to learn to play ANYTHING by John Mayer is to look at who influenced him. I mean seriously, check out some early Stevie Ray, late Clapton, mid 16th century BB King, and everything by this band http://www.myspace.com/regurgitationmusic
Your friend in Christ,
Todd Calrissian
Do you have alternate cables than the ones you're using? Are you plugging directly into the amp?
Most volume problems I've had have come from Cables that have finally crapped out.
If you're plugged as Bass > Pedals > Amp I'd say plug straight into the amp and play. Switch the cable that you're using with one that you aren't and see if it changes when playing.
Play with the knobs as much as possible.
Quote by Table Salt
Do you have alternate cables than the ones you're using? Are you plugging directly into the amp?
Most volume problems I've had have come from Cables that have finally crapped out.
If you're plugged as Bass > Pedals > Amp I'd say plug straight into the amp and play. Switch the cable that you're using with one that you aren't and see if it changes when playing.
Play with the knobs as much as possible.

I do have alternate cables, but the problem isn't volume. It's getting the distortion away, because I want a clean sound when I play through my amp.

thanks anyway
Clean sound = low input level (gain) and high output level.

If you want a clean sound you should set your levels like this...

Play bass in the style you play most often, ie heavy fingerstyle, pick, soft fingers, then turn the gain knob until the "peak" LED (the red one) starts to flash, then turn the gain down a tad. This will mean the preamp should not clip (the fuzz noise).

Now turn the output knob to whatever volume level you want.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Anjohl
I don't get Toddc's reply...what was that about?

He was a spammer, advertising what is presumably his band.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
It was just spam, ignore it

EDIT - and I thought my band name was bad!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by ToddC

Todd Calrissian

Lando's brother? Cousin?

Quote by Jonnomainman
Clean sound = low input level (gain) and high output level.

If you want a clean sound you should set your levels like this...

Play bass in the style you play most often, ie heavy fingerstyle, pick, soft fingers, then turn the gain knob until the "peak" LED (the red one) starts to flash, then turn the gain down a tad. This will mean the preamp should not clip (the fuzz noise).

Now turn the output knob to whatever volume level you want.

Do that. If the problem still persists, well then something is broken.