How Can I modify my Peavey rage 158 to be a better mic amp? The singer in my band uses an XLR>1/4 in. adapter, do i'd like to change the "CD-input" to an XLR jack. It sounds kinda muddy though. Would it be best to just somehow wire this input directly to the speaker?

Oh and another thing:
He's an idiot sometimes, and he broke off the tip of the input cable in the regular guitar input jack by accident, so now you can't fully plug anything into that jack. How can I get this thing out? I tried tweezers but i couldn't grab it. I'm not sure what to do.

And yes, the vocals are oftentimes tough to hear with a 15w amp.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
How Can I modify my Peavey rage 158 to be a better mic amp? The singer in my band uses an XLR>1/4 in. adapter, do i'd like to change the "CD-input" to an XLR jack. It sounds kinda muddy though. Would it be best to just somehow wire this input directly to the speaker?

Oh and another thing:
He's an idiot sometimes, and he broke off the tip of the input cable in the regular guitar input jack by accident, so now you can't fully plug anything into that jack. How can I get this thing out? I tried tweezers but i couldn't grab it. I'm not sure what to do.

And yes, the vocals are oftentimes tough to hear with a 15w amp.

okay first of all no i really don't reccomend changing the RCA inputs of the cd in jack to an XLR input. It probably won't work and it won't sound any good if it does, a microphone has a very low output nowhere near enough to drive a speaker on it's own so that's a no too. As for the input jack you could try taking the actual amplifier section out of the cabinet and then you'll have better acess to the input jack. If you still can't get at it then you'll just have to replace it and i would say that for the moment you should stick with that input. No cd inputs or any other crap.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
From experimentation, I'm pretty sure the CD input is just another input jack that is unaffected by the EQ and drive channel. For the past couple weeks, we've been using this CD input jack for the mic and it does work
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Quote by BD 425
From experimentation, I'm pretty sure the CD input is just another input jack that is unaffected by the EQ and drive channel. For the past couple weeks, we've been using this CD input jack for the mic and it does work

yeah i know that's what it is. Okay well if you can get it to work then that's good but i don't think you should go chopping up your amp for the sake of an xlr input when it works perfectly well as it is. I mean for a start you'll have to actually BUY an xlr input jack which is about £5 plus an xlr-xlr cable which will be at least about £10-15 as well.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Oct 25, 2008,
We have an XLR cable already, and the XLR>1/4 inch adapter keeps breaking.

I'm gonna take the actual amplifier apart this weekend to take a peek inside and see how complicated it is.