Hey I just recently bought a telecaster,

The only i music i play is heavy metal, things like, atreyu, bullet for my valentine, metallica, and the odd quiet calm song,

I really like the telecaster,

I wanna keep the stock pickups on it,

Do any of you's out there think you could help tell me what effects and amp setting would help get a that 'metal tone'?

lol thanks.
Playing metal with a Telecaster is like playing country music on a guitar with dual EMG 85 pickups, 7 strings and 24 frets.

They weren't designed with those genres in mind, but if you really want to do so I suggest you look into a noise gate first...

Since Teles are trebly guitars first of all you'll probably want to keep the treble on your amp down. Most metal guitarists also scoop the mids so keep those around 4-ish... and finally bass is adjusted to taste. No effects.

I don't think you'll get a very satisfying nor metal tone from doing this, by the way.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
what kinda amp are u using?
EDIT: u can, BTW, do metal with it...john5 uses a tele, hes got heavy tone....and this band i opened for once had a guitar player who played there 3 encores with his dads(who had passes) tele...and it was ****in screamin.his tone was pretty intense. he had a mesa-boogie F50 combo, and the gain wasnt dimed by any means, but he had some killer hard rock tone
Paul Reed Smith CE22
Fender Spalted Maple HH Tele
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Korg Pitchblack
Boss GE-8 Graphic EQ
Dunlop ZW Wah
BBE Two Timer
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV Combo
Mesa/Boogie Rectifier 212

www.myspace.com/shapesofgrey
Last edited by wyldeshredder at Oct 24, 2008,
dude, you are far off from metal tone with a tele. however, i am a big tele fan myself and had a bit of a metalhead tele phase.

if you have ever heard John 5 (former Marilyn Manson guitarist), he plays a tele exclusively and it sounds heavy!

if you throw a fender enforcer pickup in the bridge position, you will not want to stop shredding or playing heavy riffs. I really like the telecaster because it has such a well defined upper mid-range/clarity in the highs tone and combine that with a high output humbucker...can't be beaten!
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
theyre nowhere near emg's...i have one and love it for what i play which is red hot chili peppers and classic rock, and hate emg guitars for it...but for metal you really at least need humbuckers, id think. You might be able to effect the hell out of it till you get the sound you want
'I love her, but I love to fish...I'm gonna miss her"
heeey man!! i play a telecaster too! mostly been trying to learn how to play blues lately, which is what a telecaster is good at.

but i am in a few metal bands. definetely stick with the bridge pickup. the neck pickup just sounds a lil too...hollow for my taste.

as for amp settings...cant really help you there. im always messing around with them trying to get a better tone. with a really good distortion pedal im sure you can get a good metal tone out of it. and with that, i wish you luck.

oh yeah and one more thing. by turning down the tone knob all the way down, i usually get a good rhythm tone that i would personally say sounds a bit like obituary's rhythm guitar. but thats just me. other people would probably disagree.
Quote by Raijouta
Playing metal with a Telecaster is like playing country music on a guitar with dual EMG 85 pickups, 7 strings and 24 frets.

They weren't designed with those genres in mind, but if you really want to do so I suggest you look into a noise gate first...

Since Teles are trebly guitars first of all you'll probably want to keep the treble on your amp down. Most metal guitarists also scoop the mids so keep those around 4-ish... and finally bass is adjusted to taste. No effects.

I don't think you'll get a very satisfying nor metal tone from doing this, by the way.

I'm going to have to disagree, one of the most talented musicians and guitarists, with one of the sexiest tones (all imo), Jari Maenpaa of Wintersun, recorded his entire S/T album with a Telecaster w/ Single Coil pickups.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oPjjkOHn3A
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Last edited by kayman121 at Oct 24, 2008,
Quote by I'MNOOPID
Hey man jim root plays a telecaster does that tell u anything lol

his just as emgs on it so its really no different than any other emg'd up guitar...
Quote by progbass
right Metallica is a given. Personally I like to pretend the bus exploded and killed them all in '86.

GUITAR PEDALS FOR SALE
A real player can make any guitar work in any situation. i've seen tons of Punk bands use teles through lots of distortion, and it sounded fine. they may sound a little thin, so i'd look into an EMG SPC control.
i found out accidentally that i actually like single coils sometimes for metal sounds after modding my guitar. if you have a good metal tone with humbuckers the setup should be pretty close to what you need to unleash the single coils. just dont try to compare them to humbuckers or try to get a fat agressive humbucker tone out of them because your fighting the single coils nature that way. single coils are best used in metal for screeching hurt your eardrum solos. you just have to use it for what its good for. single coil signal is sharper and more "high resolution" if you will and by that i mean the clarity of the signal not the ability to cut through huge distortion clearly by means of higher output. really you can use any equipment for any application if you like the sound. dont expect standard metal tone from single coils but dont be turned off of sounds you like from them because a humbucker is the traditional choice for a certain sound. JUST TRUST YOUR EARS MAN!
P.S. most of the metal guys mentioned use humbuckers in their telecasters for metal. with hi gain metal the guitar itself is mainly just a string holder and the timbre of its tone is only significant in the amount of sustain it has.
Last edited by MichaelOfCanton at Oct 24, 2008,
Oh thanks guys, some more information about it is..

It has two single coils. maple neck.

it's one of those recent 50's vintage vibe teles

Yeah mm yeah, Jim Root and John5 use hunbuckers.. dam lol

There's always the option of buying a seymour ducan hotrails pick up for the tele?

what do you guys think?

and if i was to change the bridge pick up what pick up would you suggest?

Thanks =]
With the right pickups you could... you may regret not having a Floyd if you want to do dive bombs and such, but if you can live without that then you might be okay. Maybe put EMG's or Blackouts or something in it.

As stated above, the Tele wasn't designed with metal in mind... but then again, I play pop-rock with my Zakk Wylde LP. If you want to play metal on it, then metal you shall play. ^_^
Quote by acdclandon
his just as emgs on it so its really no different than any other emg'd up guitar...

John 5 still says "hello."
You're*
Quote by slickerthnsleek
With the right pickups you could... you may regret not having a Floyd if you want to do dive bombs and such, but if you can live without that then you might be okay. Maybe put EMG's or Blackouts or something in it.

As stated above, the Tele wasn't designed with metal in mind... but then again, I play pop-rock with my Zakk Wylde LP. If you want to play metal on it, then metal you shall play. ^_^

ha thanks i'll try lol
Quote by Chaosinborn
Tell Jari Mäenpää he cant use a Tele to rip out awesome Wintersun riffs.

With single coils no less!

Cheers to another Wintersun fan.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by telecastermetal
Oh thanks guys, some more information about it is..

There's always the option of buying a seymour ducan hotrails pick up for the tele?

Thanks =]

Definitely do this.

The hotrails (while intended for more of a heavier genre) are extremely versatile, and will clean up very nicely if you turn the guitar's volume down.

You also might consider like a JB Jr. for the neck and a Hotrails for the bridge or some combo like that.
Gear
Guitar
Kramer Striker (JB + Jazz)
Amps
Blackstar HT-5C
Vox Valvetronix AD30VT-XL
Pedals
Dunlop DB-01 Crybaby From Hell
Digitech HardWire CM-2 Tube Overdrive
Boss DS-1
Quote by wyldeshredder
what kinda amp are u using?
EDIT: u can, BTW, do metal with it...john5 uses a tele, hes got heavy tone....and this band i opened for once had a guitar player who played there 3 encores with his dads(who had passes) tele...and it was ****in screamin.his tone was pretty intense. he had a mesa-boogie F50 combo, and the gain wasnt dimed by any means, but he had some killer hard rock tone

John 5 uses a tele with humbuckers, and I'm picking up that the TS has a stock tele with single coils.

When I had a standard tele a while back, I threw a SD Hot Rails in it and it handled distortion pretty well. Here's the link for Musician's Friend:

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/Seymour-Duncan-STHR1-Tele-Hot-Rails-Pickup-Black?sku=300367

Hope I helped...
Quote by I'MNOOPID
Hey man jim root plays a telecaster does that tell u anything lol

i wouldnt even call his guitar a tele lol
heavily modded; the woods, the pickups, fretboard, tuners, bridge, like everything lo
EMGs arn't the only solution to make metal tones.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

THE LURKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Hammet uses a tele in the One video, and that song gets pretty heavy.

Also, Andreas from Sepultura uses a Tele in quite a few live videos I've seen of him, and they play in standard B alot of the time.

One shouldn't always restrict themselves just one type of guitar for one style. Sometimes a little experementing can lead to amazing resulsts.
Quote by suffersystem
Hammet uses a tele in the One video, and that song gets pretty heavy.

That was a standard strat style guitar made by ESP.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by telecastermetal
Hey I just recently bought a telecaster,

The only i music i play is heavy metal, things like, atreyu, bullet for my valentine, metallica, and the odd quiet calm song,

I really like the telecaster,

I wanna keep the stock pickups on it,

Do any of you's out there think you could help tell me what effects and amp setting would help get a that 'metal tone'?

lol thanks.

lol ive played the guitar for three years... and i have had a first act telecaster for 2... i finally got a new 1k devlin guitar and its nice as hell i learned to play lots of songs on that 22fret first act cream telecaster lol its okay not as good as a normal made metal guitar
I'm in the same situation.. HOWEVER My guitar's in the shop getting the hot rails installed . I'm excited. rofl.
Guitars:
'72 Telecaster Custom
Dean V-coustic
Ibanez ARZ307

Pedals:

Metal Muff
Mastortion
Dunlop Crybaby
Marshall Regenerator
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
MXR Analog Delay

Amp:
Peavey 1x12 Something..
You can play metal on any guitar. Tone is more defined by your amp than your guitar. Think of it this way: You can put a $2000 PRS into a Fender 15 watt solid state starter amp and it will sound like shit or you can put a starter Squire strat into a Two Rock Custom Reverb Signature and it'll sound great. Somebody might've already said something like that but I couldn't be bothered to read both pages of posts.

You can do whatever genre you want on (just about) any electric guitar with the right amp. As far as settings go, I would put your bass fairly high, turn the treble down, move your mids to whever you want them (high mids=slayer, low mids=metallica), give it some gain and you're ready to go.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You should probably mug John Frusciante or Ritchie Blackmore. They're small guys, we could take 'em.

Just look out for that other guy in the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Will Farrel. He's a tall mofo, got a long reach.

Quote by Invader Jim
I give up.