I'm looking to spend under $650 on an electric guitar. Thing is, I don't know anything about pickups.

I want a guitar that will allow me to adjust the height of the strings. My biggest influences are the great Satch and Petrucci. I'm looking for a guitar that can give me that sweet orgasmic single string tone, like from the above artists.

I was thinking an Epiphone SG or Les Paul because those are good all around guitars. But I'm looking for that particular sound. This is where Ibanez comes in. I was thinking something from their line up that has similar pickups to what Petrucci or Satriani use.

I'm open to any suggestions to help me achieve the sound of Petrucci/Satriani.

Also, could someone explain to me the difference in the pickups and why I have heard that Ibanez guitars always sound more metal.
get a dean,nothing else compares
Quote by RU Experienced?
I like staring at girls' boobs and seeing how long it takes them to say something and what their reaction is. It's win-win-win

Quote by darkstar2466
I once saw two snails fuck. It was pretty damn cool.
as far as cheaper guitars go, schetcher blows away any competition. i have played their $300 models and was just floored by the stock setup and playability.

schetcher is definitely a favoured metal tone in modern rock. i have never owned one but from my personal experience with them, i find them to be outstanding for the price.

big name brands like fender and gibson have disgraceful starter guitars because of the fact that people trust the name. do yourself a favour and try out a schecter.

if you love metal and you're on a budget, you'll be pleasantly surprised.
2005 PRS McCarty (20th Anniversary Edition)
Custom 67' Tele w/Bigsby
Gibson Les Paul Double Cut Standard
Larivee Acoustic
Fractal Audio Axe Fx II
Apogee Ensemble
Yamaha HS80s
Schecter is good but watch out for their necks, they're kinda big.
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by saitenslayer

That's funny, I thought you were talking about Deans like their decent guitars. XD Hilarious joke man.

Anyway, I'd recommend either a high-end Epiphone, a Classic series Fender, or, if you play metal, an ESP LTD or Ibanez of some sort. Schecters are nice too, but Prince's endorsement is enough to make me run the other way.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
If you're looking to play Satch/Petrucci stuff, I wouldn't recommend an SG or LP. They have fixed bridges and not as many frets as Satch or Petrucci use. The latter isn't really that big of a deal, though.

But I'd say definitely get an Ibanez. I know Satch does, and if I'm not mistaken, Petrucci does too (but I might be wrong there). Maybe something like this for that price range? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGR420EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518089 Just a suggestion, I haven't tried one, but it IS an Ibanez in that price range. Definitely try it out first though.
try an Ibanez SZ, S or SA. they are nice for the price (lol) and have ecent pickups, not POS Infinity 1 and 2.

I would go SA because it has a strat style trem. you can use it to dive, wich will be useful sometimes, and isnt that much sh*tty when tuning or changing tunings as a floyd rose
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Quote by Zecromancer
If you're looking to play Satch/Petrucci stuff, I wouldn't recommend an SG or LP. They have fixed bridges and not as many frets as Satch or Petrucci use. The latter isn't really that big of a deal, though.

But I'd say definitely get an Ibanez. I know Satch does, and if I'm not mistaken, Petrucci does too (but I might be wrong there). Maybe something like this for that price range? http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RGR420EX-Electric-Guitar?sku=518089 Just a suggestion, I haven't tried one, but it IS an Ibanez in that price range. Definitely try it out first though.

1.-petrucci used ibanez. now he is with music man
2.-i would go with the RG. the EDGE 3 sucks a lot. and the pickups are very weak. also, check some jackson dinkys
GRUPO EN ESPAÑOL

SI BUSCAS BANDA EN LATINOAMERICA O ESPAÑA, ENTRA AQUI
Used Gibson Les Paul Studio or a nice used American Standard Stratocaster. Great playing and sounding. Very versatile and you would be set for a while. Don't buy new. Waste of money since a budget of $ 650.00. Also consider an American HSS Stratifaster. I have one and it is a joy to play. I can get a lot of different tones for acoustic like clean parts to crunch with heavy leads.
2008 Gibson LP
1968 Gibson LP
2005 Am Strat Del

88 Marsh JCM 800 1/2 stack
05 Marsh AVT50
08 H & K Triamp Mk. II
07 Orange PPC 212
08 Dr. Z 212
Quote by saitenslayer

Someone's been dancing with Mr. Brownstone.

Deans blow. Go Jackson, Schecter, LTD, or Ibanez.
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Quote by Snake™
Someone's been dancing with Mr. Brownstone.

Deans blow. Go Jackson, Schecter, LTD, or Ibanez.

And Mr. Brownstone won't leave him alone.

Go with a Jackson, TS. They own.
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Primus2112
And Mr. Brownstone won't leave him alone.

Go with a Jackson, TS. They own.

We should kick that motherf*cker out the line
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Quote by Zecromancer

+1 Except that Petrucci plays a Musicman or the sort.

So yeah Ibanez because you might want an alder body, 24 frets, floating trem sort of setup.

Oh and there's nothing wrong with Deans like some people are bashing, its just that usually the better ones are more expensive.