I was just curious. I was looking at a Gibson LP Classic for a new guitar, but $2,000 to $3,00o dollars is a bit steep for me. Is there any Epiphone that would be a suitable knockoff for the "same" tone? Or could I modify a certain Epi or Cheaper Gibson to sound like the Classic? Thanks!

Oh yes. And I'd be using it for Alternative, Pop/Punk, Punk, and Indie music. Playing out of a Mesa F-50, a Traynor YCS50, or a Traynor YCV50 Blue.
Last edited by Raxef at Oct 24, 2008,
Im selling an epiphone les paul classic with dimarzio pickups
1st Schecter 8er? in UG's 7 String Legion
Conklin GT-7
Hartke Hydrive 210C
Digitech Screamin' Blues
Bugera 1990 Head
Dunlop wah
Saxon snakeskin 1x12 cab
I Nouni
Quote by Slanderous666
Im selling an epiphone les paul classic with dimarzio pickups

Really? What price? What pickups are in it? What music did you use it for? And such.
dimarzio pickups don't sound like normal Gibson Pickups.

imo buy an epiphone LP and just replace the pickups with gibson LP pickups.
Cette nuit j'ai rêvé que je mâchais ses yeux
Après avoir crevé par accès de furie
Ta replète panse d'helminthes blancs nourrie,
Trop prompte à déféquer le fruit d'un vit sanieux.
You could look at Agiles, rondomusic.com, if brand name doesn't matter too much. They're very highly reccomended by a lot of people on this forum, even look some comparisons up on YouTube. I think there is a video of them comparing one to a Gibson Les Paul Custom.
Quote by kckyle
or duncan alnico II
Really, really not. Please, do you even have a clue why people like Slash and Troy Leeuwen use those?

And for a quick answer, they are nothing like Gibson's pickups, they are nothing like the PAF tone that most people want from a Les Paul.

... Ahem. Anyway. Any of the cheaper LPs will be fine. Epiphone, Agile, Vintage, lower end Tokai, Rally, they're all made in the same factory now, with mostly the same parts. Epiphone costs more since they have the 'real' body shape, the other brands will be a bit less because they have to modify the body shape a little (e.g. Rally and Vintage have a slightly more pointed horn cutout, Agile have a shorter more stubby horn cutout).

Get one of those, slap in a new set of good pickups, change the nut for one which isn't plastic, if the guitar isn't an Epiphone then change the tuners (Epiphones come stock with Grover 18:1 tuners now, which are fantastic. The other brands come with cheaper copy tuners), and so long as your amp is decent as well, you've got a passable gigging rig there.

Sure, the Gibson will always be a better guitar, but the plain fact is if you don't have two grand to spend on a guitar then the Gibson isn't even a viable option.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Really, really not. Please, do you even have a clue why people like Slash and Troy Leeuwen use those?

And for a quick answer, they are nothing like Gibson's pickups, they are nothing like the PAF tone that most people want from a Les Paul.

... Ahem. Anyway. Any of the cheaper LPs will be fine. Epiphone, Agile, Vintage, lower end Tokai, Rally, they're all made in the same factory now, with mostly the same parts. Epiphone costs more since they have the 'real' body shape, the other brands will be a bit less because they have to modify the body shape a little (e.g. Rally and Vintage have a slightly more pointed horn cutout, Agile have a shorter more stubby horn cutout).

Get one of those, slap in a new set of good pickups, change the nut for one which isn't plastic, if the guitar isn't an Epiphone then change the tuners (Epiphones come stock with Grover 18:1 tuners now, which are fantastic. The other brands come with cheaper copy tuners), and so long as your amp is decent as well, you've got a passable gigging rig there.

Sure, the Gibson will always be a better guitar, but the plain fact is if you don't have two grand to spend on a guitar then the Gibson isn't even a viable option.

Cool! Any pickups you recommend for my kind of music?
Quote by MrFlibble

dunno about troy leeuwen since i never heard of him but the alnico II can pick up more vibration therefore making the sustain slightly better, but that makes a difference when the volume is blasted on these marshall amps during concerts. the alnico II are also easy on the attacks. but i'm sure you already know all that.
Quote by timzee117

It's a bit out of my price range. I'm trying to stay between $600-$900 for the whole thing. Guitar, setup, and any new hardware I'd need.

Edit: Unless they still have one that I want, then hopefully I'll be haggle at Guitar Center.
Last edited by Raxef at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by pacoasterrider
Epi Elists or Agile.

I've no experience with Agile Guitars? How do they sound? Which one do you recommend?
^Either the AL-3000 or AL-3100 (the only difference between the two are the inlays, one has abalone and one has mother of pearl, both are great its just a matter of preference. Other than that they're the same guitar).
Yeah i heard Epiphone Elitists are very nice guitars.Do they have a beefy 50s neck? or Do they have the slimmer 60's neck
~Vince~
Fender MIM Telecaster ('06) [Modded]
PRS S2 Custom 24 ('13) [Modded]
Squier Affinity Fat Strat [Modded]
Yamaha F310

Mesa/Boogie Lonestar 1x12 Combo
Mesa/Boogie Mark V:25

SD Vapor Trail
Xotic SL Drive
Xotic BB Preamp
Boss BD-2
Boss DS-1 [MonteAllums]
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by Raxef
It's a bit out of my price range. I'm trying to stay between $600-$900 for the whole thing. Guitar, setup, and any new hardware I'd need.

Edit: Unless they still have one that I want, then hopefully I'll be haggle at Guitar Center.

Nah man none of the Guitar Centers will haggle any more. If you ask them, they'll say something like go look it up on the computer, if you can find anything cheaper we'll match that.
Gear:
Fender Standard Telecaster Electric Guitar Ash
Bugera 333XL 212
Dunlop Original Cry Baby >> Korg Pitchblack Tuner >> MXR Carbon Copy >> Boss DS-1
Quote by kckyle
dunno about troy leeuwen since i never heard of him but the alnico II can pick up more vibration therefore making the sustain slightly better, but that makes a difference when the volume is blasted on these marshall amps during concerts. the alnico II are also easy on the attacks. but i'm sure you already know all that.

Alnico 2s pick up LESS vibration from the strings, so they don't distort as easy. Slash likes them because he wants to keep the sound of the amps distortion, not the pickups.

As they say in Ganton:

Get your facts right, bi-atch.

EDIT: Anyways, to be helpful here, get a Epi Elitist or something. I've been very lucky and I found a second hand Agile, and I found a Standard Epi to be better.

Might have been the fact it was second hand, but it played horribly. To me anyways.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Last edited by Lil Macker at Oct 26, 2008,
Wow. Are Agiles really that good? They're only priced at like 400-500 dollars . . . That seems a bit low.
They're cheap because it's factory-direct (only Rondomusic carries them, the only other way of getting one would be second-hand like on eBay). But yeah there are some great videos of Agiles in action on youtube if you haven't already checked them out.
Factory-Direct saves you 30%. And since it's a brand thats not the most popular, they aren't going to jack up the prices.

And GC won't haggle, because there not allowed to anymore. Neither are they allowed to sell Custom Orders. The stores are going down the toilet (thank god!)