Well, I remembered reading the guitar buying guide and went back to look at the woods, when I realized something. The ESP I wanted to get was made of a wood listed as "bad". Not to mention it also says to avoid ESP/LTD guitars under the $400 mark. At the store I played it at, their website says it's made of agathis. But the ESP website says it's made of basswood. I'm confused. Is the store wrong or just trying to let people know what its really made of? Would any of this even affect my first guitar enough for me to fret over it?
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
The page lists the 2008 models, the store tells you what's in stock
Quote by The Spoon
I think this man wins the thread.

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
the older model ltd's under the 400 series were made from agathis and the newer versions are made from basswood.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Do like B-May and make your own from a fireplace.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
I loled
Quote by mikeyElite
the older model ltd's under the 400 series were made from agathis and the newer versions are made from basswood.

Thats a real good deal now then. The series under 400 isn't completely destroyed by bad wood.
OK, thanks for letting me know about the ESP site. The guitar at the store has to be an older model, (2007 or older) because the pictures are labeled as 2007. So it may be older than 2007... Still is this a good deal? BTW, that's the EXACT guitar I played, everything on their site is what's in stock. I compared it to a higher end LTD, and ultimately decided a pickup change would be in order as soon as I get my hands on some cash...
Last edited by Quinlan at Oct 24, 2008,
well, it looks nice. how did it play ?
niiiiice, not a fan of trems though.
How does it play?
Quote by The Spoon

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Hard to say, I'm really not too good at guitar (no previous experience, GH doesn't count; not even on expert unfortunately :P). I liked the amp I played on too, but that was a tad expensive I think. I plan to go back soon and look at the amps again. (it was a vox) As a first time guitarist, I'm not sure you'll ever know just what sounds good. If it sounded bad, it was hard to tell because I have trouble distincting between the guitar and my playing technique (or lack of).
Quote by Quinlan
Hard to say, I'm really not too good at guitar (no previous experience, GH doesn't count; not even on expert unfortunately :P). I liked the amp I played on too, but that was a tad expensive I think. I plan to go back soon and look at the amps again. (it was a vox) As a first time guitarist, I'm not sure you'll ever know just what sounds good. If it sounded bad, it was hard to tell because I have trouble distincting between the guitar and my playing technique (or lack of).

Even if you know nothing you should have seen if your hand is comfortable with the neck, if it's comfortable on your lap, etc...
Quote by The Spoon

Quote by ZeGuitarist
We have a winner.
Well, then yeah, all of that kind of stuff was good. It was pretty much that way for all the ones I tried. I'm sure that there's very few necks that would bother me, as I have HUGE hands. Think 3:5 of those things that hatch from the eggs in the Aliens movies. BTW, what exactly is intonation? I've heard it used alot in guides, but I still have no clue as to what it is. I'll assume its important...
Quote by Quinlan
Well, then yeah, all of that kind of stuff was good. It was pretty much that way for all the ones I tried. I'm sure that there's very few necks that would bother me, as I have HUGE hands. Think 3:5 of those things that hatch from the eggs in the Aliens movies. BTW, what exactly is intonation? I've heard it used alot in guides, but I still have no clue as to what it is. I'll assume its important...

here's a pretty good explanation:

Q: What exactly IS intonation?

A: Intonation refers to the need for each string to be a slightly
different length in order for the proper pitch to be produced at each fret.
(This is my definition, if you have a better one, let me know.)

The intonation of a guitar is correct when each string is the exact length
it needs to be. The adjustment of this length is made possible by
individual saddles, one for each string, which are mounted on the bridge
with a screw. This way, one can turn the screw and the saddle will move
forward or backward, effectively lengthening or shortening the vibrating
length of the string. If your guitar does not have these adjustable
saddles, you may as well skip the rest of this document.

Regardless of intonation, if the string as a whole is at the correct pitch,
all harmonics will sound correctly because they are, by definition, exact
multiples of the frequency of the entire string. It is the tones produced
by fretting the string that will be incorrect. So, if you would like to
learn to play "Crazy Train" using all harmonics, go for it. For the rest
of us who are securely grounded in reality, however, read on.

and here's the whole article i took that excerpt from

http://www.harmony-central.com/Guitar/intonation-faq.txt
Last edited by mikeyElite at Oct 25, 2008,
OK, thanks a lot. So this whole "agathis is a crap wood" thing isn't a huge deal, considering what I'm looking at?
Quote by Quinlan
OK, thanks a lot. So this whole "agathis is a crap wood" thing isn't a huge deal, considering what I'm looking at?

agathis is not the greatest of tone woods but just starting out it wont really matter, when looking for a first guitar the feel is the most important factor IMO. later on down the road when you figure out your playing tendencies and style and what not you'll get a better guitar made from better wood, for now agathis will do.
Now, here's some trouble... The guitar I planned on getting is now gone from the store... Someone beat me to it! However, the store now stocks Ibanezes, so there may still be hope. I plan to go back this weekend, find one, and reserve it! I must have forgot to mention that this store has in stock only what's listed on the site... I guess I'll find something else. Crap.
Honestly... both agathis and basswood are cheap scamwoods. Neither one is a great tonewood. They're very soft and are easy to dent and whatnot. They popped up in the 80's as a cheap alternative to the traditional woods like Alder, Ash, Mahogany, etc

Like what was said above, this shouldn't be a big factor when choosing a first/second guitar. Find something that is comfortable to play so you can get the techniques down pat
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
For the record: it kind of doesn't matter. Unless you're completely, ridiculously anal-retentive about tone or a huge gearhead (which you're not, I'm betting, since you're a beginner), most of the things guitarists love to talk about won't affect much more than your bragging rights and self-satisfaction. Seriously, most of the things you notice about your guitar won't be noticed by even a paying-attention listener, and the sound of your guitar is capable of becoming pretty much anything you want via pedals, amps, recording techniques, modeling software, etc. So besides the basic differences (do the pickups sound hella cheap? is it in tune up the fretboard?) the only person who has any right to even THINK about what kind of gear you "should" use is YOU. If you like the guitar, like how it plays, like how it sounds, and like how it looks, you have absolutely no worries. Everything sounds shitty in a club anyway, Gibsons through Orange stacks included. It's about the songs, the feeling, and the fun of it anyway, IMO. So don't worry about "tone woods."