hey everyone, if you cant tell I am indeed new to this forum, I have been playing for about 6 years now and I would like to think I know a little of what I am doing. anyway to the subject at hand, I am in 2 bands one is a side project that is just a WIP, but in my "main" band, we play hardcore/death metal and we tune in drop C. (which I personally dislike, spaghetti strings arent my favorite lol) BUT in my side project we play in standard sometimes drop D. I play on an Ibanez S series which I do like, but every time I tune to standard my bridge looks like its getting an erection. Honestly, I dont know what to do it just raises up, making the action god aweful. How can I prevent this from happening? Help =[
Attachments:
guitar1.jpg
guitar2.jpg
maybe you need to abjust the springs
Quote by Trefellin
Anyone with half a brain knows that Jesus is way more metal than Satan. Lucifer was the worlds very first emo.

Quote by glowinghamster4'

i just want to let you know that made my day.

Quote by Weaponized
Solid state master race
springs, forward, also, the fr thread would be soooooooooo much more helpfull
wayyyy more helpfull, seriously, madpickin is like god
Quote by Oedipus
hey everyone, if you cant tell I am indeed new to this forum, I have been playing for about 6 years now and I would like to think I know a little of what I am doing. anyway to the subject at hand, I am in 2 bands one is a side project that is just a WIP, but in my "main" band, we play hardcore/death metal and we tune in drop C. (which I personally dislike, spaghetti strings arent my favorite lol) BUT in my side project we play in standard sometimes drop D. I play on an Ibanez S series which I do like, but every time I tune to standard my bridge looks like its getting an erection. Honestly, I dont know what to do it just raises up, making the action god aweful. How can I prevent this from happening? Help =[

I bought a guitar with a floating bridge once. I will never buy one again, for that exact reason.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Quote by Colgate Total
Tighten the springs. Re-adjust the action.

If the springs are properly adjusted, you might not even need to adjust the action.

You could also just block the bridge (look around the net for various methods on how to do this).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Just the downside to floating bridges. You change the tuning the spring tension has to be adjusted to compensate.
Quote by Tackleberry
Just the downside to floating bridges. You change the tuning the spring tension has to be adjusted to compensate.

pretty much.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
seems like its time for a second guitar so you dont have to switch tunings and setups
Yea floyds are meant to be played at one tuning. Usually guitars with floyds (ibanez) have really thin necks as well, just like your s. These guitars are meant to be set up for one tuning and played that way. Thats why its called a locking system, you dont tune it until you need a different tuning.
either add a spring on the back to provide strength for the bridge to hold your overly heavy gauge strings, or just use lower gauge...

i believe Drop C and standard wont exist together on the same guitar with the same set of strings

Quote by BigFatSandwich
I bought a guitar with a floating bridge once. I will never buy one again, for that exact reason.

Because you didn't knew how it worked?

They are no problem as soon as they are set up.
Unless you change tunings on the same guitar all the time. Then I can see why floating might annoy you.
Ibanez s540 with gold Schaller bridge and OMGGOLD hardware

Ibanez RGR320 with Lo-Edge Pro bridge and scalloped fretboard

Lee Jackson XLSC - 500

Roland Microcube

Dunlop Jazz III black