If you get Guitar Pro they've got tab and scores on the same page if that helps

Of course that would involve acquiring Guitar Pro...
Just download a couple of power tabs, and TRY not to look at the tab.
get a fake book, or "The Complete Electric Bass Method Book" by Chuck Rainey. It's $23, but its quite literally my college bass music book.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Quote by rollininrhythm
Thats not so much music as lead sheets.

Yes but have you every played some of the lead sheets in the Real book? Especially the be bop songs? They're not easy Plus it teaches you the melodies to jazz standards, which in turn helps you relate your bass lines to those melodies.

I'll second "The Complete Electric Bass Method Book" by Chuck Rainey. And any bass book out of Berklee press, which will not have tab.

And be aware, the Hal Leonard Bass method will have minimal tab as well.
Quote by UtBDan
get a fake book, or "The Complete Electric Bass Method Book" by Chuck Rainey. It's $23, but its quite literally my college bass music book.

a fake book isnt going to improve your sheet reading skills much at all, but rather you ability to read chord changes (also an important trait)

Sure you COULD read through the heads, but that would be pointless because no band director is ever going to want the bass to play the heads anyways.
Quote by anarkee
Yes but have you every played some of the lead sheets in the Real book? Especially the be bop songs? They're not easy Plus it teaches you the melodies to jazz standards, which in turn helps you relate your bass lines to those melodies.

I'll second "The Complete Electric Bass Method Book" by Chuck Rainey. And any bass book out of Berklee press, which will not have tab.

And be aware, the Hal Leonard Bass method will have minimal tab as well.

Arent the melodies in treble clef though? Sorry, havent looked at my real book in a while.
Quote by rollininrhythm
Arent the melodies in treble clef though? Sorry, havent looked at my real book in a while.

The real books come in C, Eb, Bb and Bass Clef version. I have two of the bass clef versions, they are great.
Quote by anarkee
The real books come in C, Eb, Bb and Bass Clef version. I have two of the bass clef versions, they are great.

Its written in bass cleff, but its not transposed down an octave on most songs (unless the song has the melody) Because of this, it would be hard to really practice your sight reading abilities using it unless you were already proficient at reading above the bars.
Quote by Trabo
Its written in bass cleff, but its not transposed down an octave on most songs (unless the song has the melody) Because of this, it would be hard to really practice your sight reading abilities using it unless you were already proficient at reading above the bars.

Tenor clef ftw!

This reminds me of one time when I was playing tuba. I was asked to read a trombone part in a quintet. So I was reading the whole thing an octave down, and then the tenor clef came out of no where and got me. Tenor clef on tuba is definitely a wtf hax moment.