I am new to the forum and I wanted to introduce myself by showing my most recent guitar mod. I own a Jackson RR3 (it is a decent guitar) but I found it pretty boring and it sat in its case for about a year after its controls were cannibalized to help my brother with a project he was working on. It was black with chrome hardware, completely stock. Last weekend I decided I would repaint it, remove one pickup and upgrade the bridge pickup to an EMG-81. Here is the result, there are a few flaws as a result of the clear coat i used yellowing the paint, and yes that is a bit of solder on the surface. The paint is only a week old, so it is old enough to play, but not old enough to buff out imperfections and orange peel yet. Here it is completed.

I filled the neck pickup with a piece of oak and bondo'ed over it. I sanded, primed, painted and cleared the whole thing. The pickguard is an 1/8th inch piece of anodized aircraft aluminum. Total cost of project, minus cost of pickup which i had lying around and the guitar, ~$85. Total time ~16-24 hours estimate (about 4 of which were spent on the trem cavity).
It plays excellently and sounds great. It is like getting a brand new guitar. Any opinions on how to improve the look of the guitar (pinstripes, designs, color scheme) are greatly appreciated.
My next project will be my brothers early nineties ESP explorer. For that one I will post before and after pics.
Gear: Carvin Bel Air 212 50W, Carvin X100B 50watt, Orange Dark Terror, Egnater Rebel 30, ESP Eclipse-II, ESP Custom Shop Viper Bass, LTD SC-500, LTD Alexi-600, LTD KH-202, Modded Jackson RR3, P.O.S. Warlock.
i really like what you did with that guitar, good stuff.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
[quote="'JE[F"]F']top stuff, look forward to see what how the explorer turns out
He wants me to re-create the James Hetfield "eet fuk" explorer. Bondo on headstock and all. Should be fun. The only diff is that his is bolt on and has dot inlay.
Gear: Carvin Bel Air 212 50W, Carvin X100B 50watt, Orange Dark Terror, Egnater Rebel 30, ESP Eclipse-II, ESP Custom Shop Viper Bass, LTD SC-500, LTD Alexi-600, LTD KH-202, Modded Jackson RR3, P.O.S. Warlock.