G12T-75 vs Vintage 30 Speakers..

G12T
Vintage 30

I'm replacing the speakers in my Valveking 212.. Which will sound the best / clear up the initial "muddiness"

thanks
-tj
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
V30's ftw imo.

really though, it's more or less what you think sounds better. it's a matter of opinion
Depends on the sound you're going for. The low end on the G12T is amazing...it tends to be slightly scooped, but I like that character if you compensate for it on your EQ. Also, V30s might be a bit harsh and/or ice picky depending on your amp. (I've honestly never heard a VK in person so i haven o idea)
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
V30's will stop being ice pickish as they break in. Run some music through it and leave it on for a while or something.

If you want to clear muddiness, V30's definitely. They are the epitome of note definition and anti-muddiness. G12t-75's have a looser feeling and might not take away all the muddiness. Go for the v30
V30's, the G12-75's are more british voiced, and you don't want to put british voiced speakers in an american voiced amp.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by gtr_101
V30's, the G12-75's are more british voiced, and you don't want to put british voiced speakers in an american voiced amp.
You have a V30 in your Valveking. V30s are British voiced. Shut up.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by gtr_101

1. V30s are more British voiced
2. Why ever not?

Don't get either, they're both overrated and the G12T is pretty poor.
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 25, 2008,
I would probably do 1 of each
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Studio
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul
-Ibanez S470
-PRS SE Custom

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus

Pickups:
Guitarforce
MHD
Quote by MrCarrot
You have a V30 in your Valveking. V30s are British voiced. Shut up.

First off, No need to be an A$$. I have a Veteran 30, and i like it. From my personal experience I don't like the G12-75'S in american voiced amps, my personal opinion, thats what this forum is personal opinion. Sorry for using the internet for its purpose.

Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Coming soon: Egnater Tweaker

Quote by JLT73
I would probably do 1 of each

^+1

if your changing both speakers then why not go for the best of both worlds - then again they may not mix well together but as i have no personal experience i'll leave that for someone else to classify

also try looking at the warehouse speaker clones as they are apparently very close to their celestion counter parts for a much better price
I'm trying to choose between those two speakers for a 2x12 cabinet myself. From what I gather the vintage 30s are more middy and the G12Ts are scooped.

Some people hate vintage 30s for their pronounced mids
Some people hate G12Ts for their scooped mids.

Meh, go with what you want.

Here is a bloke testing a valveking with a 2x12 vintage 30 cabinet though:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vW7E0QZ8K5k
WTLTL 2011
Quote by touji-za-nai
G12T-75 vs Vintage 30 Speakers..

G12T
Vintage 30

I'm replacing the speakers in my Valveking 212.. Which will sound the best / clear up the initial "muddiness"

thanks
-tj

what kinda music do you play?
Quote by gtr_101
First off, No need to be an A$$. I have a Veteran 30, and i like it. From my personal experience I don't like the G12-75'S in american voiced amps, my personal opinion, thats what this forum is personal opinion. Sorry for using the internet for its purpose.

i don't think it possible for carrot not to be an a$$.
I'd go for V30s if you want to clear up the low-end.

Play a Cort ?

Play with V-Picks ?

Every minute is to be Grasped........................................................................Time waits for nobody.

Quote by mmjohn
i don't think it possible for carrot not to be an a$$ to people giving out stupid info.

agreed.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by mmjohn

He's British you idiot, it's 'arse'.
And he's right anyway.
I would go for the V-30's, they really sound great through my VK for about anything. I would get Warehouse clones, though. Much cheaper and better IMO.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
If you play metal, the eminence man o war, is really nice too. gonna put one in my amp soon

Fractal Axe-Fx Ultra
EBMM JP7 Dargies Delight II
Manuel Rodriguez C Cedar Top
I play metal btw.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
Do one of each just like the Bogner Ubercabs.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Go with the Vintage 30's... I have both speakers and the G12T-75's sounds like ass through Peavey's.
Meh, I dig the sound of 6505/5150's through G12T-75's. They may not compliment XXX's, Ultra's, or VK's though.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Quote by Van Noord
Meh, I dig the sound of 6505/5150's through G12T-75's. They may not compliment XXX's, Ultra's, or VK's though.

definitely preference, I don't dig those speakers either. Tried them with several different heads, and just don't care for them. Like them better live, but don't like them for recording much at all. Some kind of weird crunchy highend, little boomy on the lows, kind of scooped in the mids, blech. YMMV, obviously just different tastes.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Erock503
definitely preference, I don't dig those speakers either. Tried them with several different heads, and just don't care for them. Like them better live, but don't like them for recording much at all. Some kind of weird crunchy highend, little boomy on the lows, kind of scooped in the mids, blech. YMMV, obviously just different tastes.

Exactly the same experience I have with them... They also tend to over power any speaker you combo with them.
Quote by touji-za-nai
I play metal btw.

look into the celestion g12k a speaker with a big bottom end and boosted mids. go to www.clestion.com and take a look.
Quote by Horlicks
He's British you idiot, it's 'arse'.
And he's right anyway.

i'm not friggin BRITISH...........so it's A$$. and BTW it is possible to tell someone they're wrong without being an A$$. lol
Last edited by mmjohn at Oct 25, 2008,
Again, I'm gonna bring up Warehouse clones as an option. There Veteren 30's really do magic through a VK
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by gtr_101
The reason the G12T75 sounds bad in higain American amps is because it lacks mids and has a very clean voicing, more suited to the mid-heavy marshalls of the 80s to make them less hairy, and even then stuff such as greenbacks can be better. The G12T75 is more American than british voiced.

I wasn't attacking your opinion, I was attacking the fact that you were wrong.
Quote by mmjohn

I'm sorry I said Valve Juniors sound bad.

I'll think of all the random people on the internet I might offend who will consequently throw their dolly out of the pram before stating my valid opinion in future.
The only amps I've liked my 1960's G12T-75s through were my Mark IV (still sounded better with V30s), my Splawn Nitro (sounds best with these imo) and Marshall amps. Everything else I've tried sounded better with V30s, especially Peaveys.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by mmjohn
i'm not friggin BRITISH...........so it's A$$. and BTW it is possible to tell someone they're wrong without being an A$$. lol

Just type ass. Reading things like that gives me a headache
Quote by SG thrasher
The mids aren't boosted, it's a very balanced speaker, actually.

in the frequency chart it starts at 70 ends at 70 and is over 100 all thru the middle........that's a slightly boosted mid.
Last edited by mmjohn at Oct 25, 2008,
I took G12-75s over V30s for my ENGL-based setup. I didn't care for the highs much on the V30s, and the low end on the G12-75s are more to my liking. Very tight and controlled with the ENGL preamp. And when I boost the mids on the preamp and eq..it sounds more punchy and less harsh than they did with V30s.
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by kayman121
When I boost the mids on the preamp and eq..it sounds more punchy and less harsh than they did with V30s.
That's kind of why I like the 75's with a middy sounding amp, which I also prefer. An amp with a lot of natural mids can get out of hand fast with V30's, unless you keep can them in check.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION