I'm buying my first acoustic (no guitar knowledge) and have been saving a few hundred dollars to buy one. I'm looking at buying the Yamaha FG700S.

Is it worth buying new strings for this guitar off the bat? Or should I stick with them as I start learning for the first couple of months.

Also, any type of tuner that is recommended?

Thanks everyone and I hope to frequent these forums as I learn!
Buy them now. You should get it re-strung and adjusted right when you buy it.

Korg tuners are awesome so get one. The CA-30 is my recommendation.

Hope I helped. Good luck to you.
Quote by Corwinoid
Metal doesn't hold hands, it gets head in the van before the show. Seriously.

Originally posted by tyler 417 714
Quote by (-) Ions
There's a band called tool?

Quote by NewWaves
People still watch MTV?
First of all, good choice on the guitar. As good of a beginner guitar as it is though, guitars in it's price range invariably come with poor quality strings. I recommend changing them asap. I also recommend Korg tuners.
Quote by tom183
First of all, good choice on the guitar. As good of a beginner guitar as it is though, guitars in it's price range invariably come with poor quality strings. I recommend changing them asap. I also recommend Korg tuners.

Yea, I've heard most come with poor quality strings so it is recommended to restring immediately (and it would good to learn to string it right off the bat). Can anyone recommend good strings for this type of acoustic for a beginner? I know a lot of it breaks down to personal preference, but hopefully someone has a recommendation.

And thanks for the KORG recommendations. Korg CA-30 tuner is in my shopping cart atm :P
The strings should be alright.

As for what type, they're a very personal affair. Strings are just personal preference. They also depend on your own guitar. For example, my martin strings don't sound as good on my A&L guitar as my Martin. D'addarios just don't sound good on either of my guitars either. However, they're both good brands.

Just try them all out

Check out this vid of Tommy Emmanuel talking about strings. http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=VxP9wUp8r7k
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.