So, my mom got me a guitar a few years ago and it pretty much sat, because I just didn't have the opportunity for lessons and I was too stubborn to learn on my own. But now, I started teaching myself and I feel like it's time for an upgrade. Right now, I'm playing a Squire Strat, and I just don't like the feel, and the sound (I might just suck worse than I thought)

Anyway, enough back story. I'm not too new, but I'm not great. I've been looking and looking at reviews on the following:

Ibanez GAX70
Ibanez RG120
and the Epiphone SG-Special

I'm still pretty new to guitars and what to look for. Tonight I went into the nearest Guitar Center (almost an hour away) to play some of these and just check them out. The guy that helped me said that the Ibanez guitars just blow the Epiphones out of the water, but I wasn't sure if he was just a fan of Ibanez. He told me it's more of a preference of style when it comes to he two Ibanez's, but kind of ran off leaving me with a few questions.

I REALLY like the looks and style of the SG and the GAX70 (might be the reason I'm stuck on the SG), but the reviews look to favor the RG120. The thing is, unless it's like a HUGE change, I don't want another Squire/Fender look alike. (sorry if that offends anyone)

So, if you took the time to read my ramble, and could help me make up my mind, as it's going in so many different directions with this, please enlighten me. Thank you very much. And sorry for making another one of these threads.
If he said, Ibanez blows Epiphone out of the water he's right being general. Most Ibanez guitars are pretty decent. Epiphones are generally decent too, but.. well Ibanez is MORE decent. hahaha.

If you want an Epiphone try getting a Custom Les Paul, because they're quite good in sound (Zakk Wylde uses them ) theyre about 800 bucks.
ultimately you should choose the one that makes you just want to grab it and play anything.. at this level, all of them are relatively comparable by specs, so if you're drawn to the GAX70, go for it. that was my first guitar, and even though i have a few "better" guitars now, i still love to pick that one up and play it.

i'll tell you why i chose the GAX70... i wanted a guitar that was neutral enough looking for all of the stuff i wanted to play... metal, industrial, etc.. i didn't want to be stuck with a shape that only gave me one kind of vibe. the SG design is nice, but it's got a very classic rock or early metal vibe, and it may leave you feeling less than inspired if you want to play stuff outside of that. i know this sounds superficial, but don't underestimate the aesthetic inspiration of a guitar.
Originally posted by Geetarbumb
I think your screwed ! You should quit guitar and take up the skin flute!
Quote by lowtek
ultimately you should choose the one that makes you just want to grab it and play anything.. at this level, all of them are relatively comparable by specs, so if you're drawn to the GAX70, go for it. that was my first guitar, and even though i have a few "better" guitars now, i still love to pick that one up and play it.

i'll tell you why i chose the GAX70... i wanted a guitar that was neutral enough looking for all of the stuff i wanted to play... metal, industrial, etc.. i didn't want to be stuck with a shape that only gave me one kind of vibe. the SG design is nice, but it's got a very classic rock or early metal vibe, and it may leave you feeling less than inspired if you want to play stuff outside of that. i know this sounds superficial, but don't underestimate the aesthetic inspiration of a guitar.

Yeah, I do like the GAX design better. I just wasn't sure if there was something I was missing like, more ease to slide, and work the fretboard, since eventually I'd like to get into some technical stuff, and metal. Most of the reveiws reccommended the RG for metal, and the extra frets would be nice. I just wasn't sure if the RG was more "metal-friendly" than the GAX. I didn't have enough time to play them both when I was there, unfortunately.