I'm going to take a trip to a local shop tomorrow, and see if they have any Bad monkeys.

Guitar center didnt carry them, i'm not too sure if this place carries them. Incase they dont, what else can I use as an OD?

I don't want to spend $100+ on one. I simply want one that will push a crate v50 into metal territories. I have a gig next friday. This is actually for my friend. We are going to play metal and his v50 cant do it by itself.

I don't know how much tubescreamers run, but i know some cost more than others..

I heard a blues driver can also be used? thanks

edit: I'm looking at a Boss SD-1 right now because they might have it. it's $50. Will it work good for what i need it to do? Still open to suggestions
Last edited by injected at Oct 25, 2008,
just try out all the ones they have and choose the one that you like the best. i am in a similar situation but unfortunately there are no music stores where i live.

also try typing cheap od pedals into the search bar there are tons of these kinds of threads.
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Custom Built Acoustic
Epiphone Valve Special
Marshall Guv'nor GV2
tanglewood 1000 pu resonator
washborn acoustic
My Build
tubescreamers and their soundalikes wont give you metal imo. they will give you hard rock and gain, but i think they simply arent voiced for metal. try them out anyway though, you might find one that will work by all means. the OS-2 might be worth looking into as well.
Strange, my local guitar center DID carry Bad Monkeys. Great pedal for the money
WTLTL 2011
Quote by boardsofcanada
tubescreamers and their soundalikes wont give you metal imo. they will give you hard rock and gain, but i think they simply arent voiced for metal. try them out anyway though, you might find one that will work by all means. the OS-2 might be worth looking into as well.

I'm not going to use the pedal by itself to give me metal..

i don't know if you know about boosting but i'm going to use it with the level at 10 and the gain at 0 to drive the preamp of my amp harder so it would distort more
we went with a Boss SD-1.

it didn't make too huge of a difference actually, just more gain. It's as if the gain on the amp jumped from "10" to "13".

I wish it would have done a little more, like sent it to "20".
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
did you try setting the gain at like '1'

??

are you a Boss fan? I would have got the Bad Monkey for 50

I went to a local store, not gc, and even they didnt have bad monkeys. They had a big wall of boss pedals and a few boutique pedals.

The SD-1 was only $50 so i figured it would be just fine.

And yes, i set the gain to 0, and level at 10. the idea is to drive the preamp harder.. Although i did try adding some gain, it was relatively useless. Didnt add noticeable gain at all, only muddied it.

I wonder if its possible to mod it to make the level louder.
who's IP

and i'm happy with the sd-1 i dont see a reason to get a bad monkey. they're both cheap overdrives..
The Digitech Bad Monkey is great. I love it.
I had an SD-1, and I also bought a Zakk Wylde overdrive. The ZW was crap. The SD was alright, but it wasn't what I was looking for. The Bad Monkey was a bit smoother. That's just what I found.
Member of the Laney Cult