Ok so recently i have noticed that i am holding my pick in a different way that everyone else does. here are some pictures, i want to know if i should stop holding it this way? i am really comfortable like this and i am very worried im going to have to hold it another way that will force me to be uncomfortable. Please help!
If it's comfortable and you can play without any noticeable limitations (ie not being able to pick fast, for example), then you're fine.
If you want to assk how to post pictures, go look at the new members FAQ.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
i did but i still have no clue what does the value mean in the (Invalid img). and also the pictures they i want to post are on my personal files
*edit

if your comfortable stick with it
- i use my thumb and index finger to hold my pick making a cross
Last edited by chris88kolate at Oct 25, 2008,
Quote by chris88kolate
upload to tinypic.com and copy the code

+1
Well, I tried holding it like that and when I was shredding dropped it like 3 times because it felt loose, but it's all up to the individual. As Froboarder said, as long as it's comfortable for you and not limiting you in anyway, then it doesn't matter how you hold it.
LOL, i thought you were ment to hold it like that but i dont because its too uncomfortable =/. so yeah im guessing its up to if you have any problems. If you find it getting too uncomfortable/limiting your progress later on then yeah im sure it wont be that hard to change how you hold your pick
actualy, i looked at it again and thats how i hold my pick! xD yeah i have had no problems apart from i occasionally scrape my middle finger on the strings every so often mainly while playing something involving palm muting
Quote by Froboarder
If it's comfortable and you can play without any noticeable limitations (ie not being able to pick fast, for example), then you're fine.
If you want to assk how to post pictures, go look at the new members FAQ.

I just changed from finger plucking ( I think that's what they're called ) to using picks 3days ago. I don't find holding a pick comfortable and I often miss a string or hit a wrong string. Am I just not used to it yet? Also ,am I suppose to be picking with my hand in the air or rest my remaining fingers on the guitar body?
There are many ways to hold a pick. I used to hold my pic like you did Cicatriz for 3 years. Last month I realized a different way to holding a pick, and I have to say my playing has just increased(i've pretty much changed my whole playing style, and its amazing imo). Of course switching from playing one way to another is going to be awkward at first, but it's just a phase. This is how I hold my pick; Hold your picking hand out infront of you with your thumb(nail) facing you. Curve your four fingers over as if you are trying to make a C, and place your thumb on the side of your index finger ( it should fall right in place) Now place your pick in between your thumb and index finger and tada! I find by holding it this way you have WAY more control and accuracy. It's very awkward at first, but just practice you'll get over it.
I held it your way first, but I switched to thumb/side of index as Doc Smiley described it. Now I'm much more relaxed, I never drop my pick, it doesn't even move in my hand as it used to do under heavy strumming.
"Your signature can not be longer than 250 characters."

How you know you have too many guitars...

Apparently once also known as PonyFan #834553.
Quote by Johntubb
I just changed from finger plucking ( I think that's what they're called ) to using picks 3days ago. I don't find holding a pick comfortable and I often miss a string or hit a wrong string. Am I just not used to it yet? Also ,am I suppose to be picking with my hand in the air or rest my remaining fingers on the guitar body?

While you may be proficient at guitar, getting used to a pick doesn't just happen overnight. It could take a few days or weeks to develop adequate synchronization between your left an right hand. Only then will you be fully used to and comfortable with a pick.
I'm that dude with the fro.
Quote by angus fan16
Long story short, a whale flew out of the ocean, landed next to me and shot like a wall of water straight into my face.
I use the same method as described, but instead of always holding the pick with the side of my index finger, I hold it with the tip of the index and my thumb so I can get a diagonal angle. This helps with reducing friction on extremely fast tremolo picking, and gallops, but I do often rotate the pick onto the side of my finger especially for pinched harmonics and when I want a lot of power.
i have my thumb perpendicular to the pick, going across it. just like your 1st pic.
and my teacher said, the less of the end of the pick you use, the better