Hey UG,

I've got an Ibanez with a PAF Pro in the neck, a Seymour Duncan JB stack in the middle, and a Tone Zone in the bridge and wanted to know how to do some specialty wiring to it. The switches include 2 push-pulls for volume and tone and a 5-way switch. With this I'd like the following options:

Both switches down:

Switch position - effect
1 - Neck humbucker
2 - Neck and middle humbuckers
3 - Middle humbucker
4 - Middle and bridge humbuckers
5 - Bridge humbucker

Tone switch up, volume switch down:

1 - Neck split
2 - Neck and middle split
3 - middle split
4 - middle and bridge split
5 - bridge split

Volume switch up:

Bypass 5-way and both pots and go straight to output, so all positions would give
HHH at max output.

I'd really like to know if anyone has drawn up a schematic for a switching system like this before so I don't have to spend a lot of time on it. Also, when splitting pups I'd like the outer coils of the bridge and neck to be active and the top coil of the stacked bucker.

Also, the only reason I got these pups was because they were outrageously cheap as a package ($50 for all three), so I'm not particularly attached to them. You guys think I should sell the JB and get a real single coil for the middle position?

Any help you guys could offer would be much appreciated.

peace
Attachments:
Pickup-Switching.jpg
Want: EH Deluxe Memory Man, Warmoth Strat, Budda Superdrive 45
Quote by bullets34
Hey UG,

I've got an Ibanez with a PAF Pro in the neck, a Seymour Duncan JB stack in the middle, and a Tone Zone in the bridge and wanted to know how to do some specialty wiring to it. The switches include 2 push-pulls for volume and tone and a 5-way switch. With this I'd like the following options:

Both switches down:

Switch position - effect
1 - Neck humbucker
2 - Neck and middle humbuckers
3 - Middle humbucker
4 - Middle and bridge humbuckers
5 - Bridge humbucker

Tone switch up, volume switch down:

1 - Neck split
2 - Neck and middle split
3 - middle split
4 - middle and bridge split
5 - bridge split

Volume switch up:
so far, so good. you can do this, but not with a standard 5-way. you'll need a 4pole 5-way superswitch. 2 poles will select the pickup(s) and 2 poles will select the series links of those pickups to split them, when the tone switch is up.

Quote by bullets34
Volume switch up:

Bypass 5-way and both pots and go straight to output, so all positions would give
HHH at max output.
this won't be possible with a push-pull pot.
you don't have enough poles to bypass the controls and also connect the three pickups together.

you have 2 possible choices:
- bypass the controls and use whatever pickups are selected by the 5-way.
- bypass the controls and use ONE pickup. you'll probably want this to be the bridge pickup. but you could wire it for the neck or the middle, if you prefer.

Quote by bullets34
I'd really like to know if anyone has drawn up a schematic for a switching system like this before so I don't have to spend a lot of time on it.
i haven't.

Quote by bullets34
Also, when splitting pups I'd like the outer coils of the bridge and neck to be active and the top coil of the stacked bucker.
that would just be a matter of how you wire the bridge and neck and how you orient them.

Quote by bullets34
Also, the only reason I got these pups was because they were outrageously cheap as a package ($50 for all three), so I'm not particularly attached to them. You guys think I should sell the JB and get a real single coil for the middle position?

Any help you guys could offer would be much appreciated.

peace
k, koo.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.