So have anyone heard this amp? Its a 5 watter with 2 footswitchable channels and a effects loop, and it probably use the HT pedal technology so it may have kinda high gain?

http://www.maxguitarstore.com/store/index.php?productID=3175&PHPSESSID=32e4ef29147858dd4256d835ffecea83
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard
Powered by CAA OD100 standard+ , Mesa 2x12
Affected by Maxon OD808, Mad Professor Deep blue delay

If it sounds anything like the HT pedals, it will sound awful. It's not even full-valve.
Last edited by Horlicks at Oct 25, 2008,
sounds too good to be true, really...and it's saying it uses a 12"bt"7 to give 5 watts output, which means its solid state with a better name imo.

still, worth looking into for a low volume practice amp.
Quote by Luc1feR
Here it says 1xECC83 and 1x12BH7
http://www.guitarandampshop.co.uk/acatalog/Blackstar_Lead_Guitar_Amplifiers.html
actually it was mentioned at the link at the top as well

What i was thought, but for that price, im guessing a fair bit of the circuit is solid state.
would the 10 inch speaker have enough low end for heavy rhythms? if not would it be possible to plug it into a 12 inch speaker instead?
that amp will sound awesome. the pedals sound really good, the artisan series sounds amazing and i have heard good things about the ht-5 too...
Thank you please.
do you think it would be worth it to trade in a vox ac15cc1 and blackstar ht-dist for this amp? it wouldnt cost any money.

my main concern with the sound of the ht-5 is that the speaker is only 10 inches which might mean that it doesnt have good low end.
Last edited by no_thing101 at Dec 5, 2008,
the Valve junior has a 6 inch speaker and the bass is ok on that...

the ac15 is supposed to be a nice amp too though...

another option is to go for a HT-5 head and get a bigger cab... maybe a 12inch speaker
Thank you please.
This rather impressed me.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Blackstar make good amps at good prices. There "low end" stuff is still as good or better than any other mass produced valve amp on the market so it's not really low end at all. There high end stuff is hand wired with reasonably good components. They are built to a much higher standard than most top of the line mass produced amps such as fender and marshall yet they manage to have a price tag that keeps them competitive.

I've never used the HT 5 but I have used many of their other amps and I would be happy to own all of them. I would always suggest you try the amp before you buy it, but if it does what you want an amp to do, then you can trust that it will be quality.

I've been less than impressed with the blackstar pedals but that is another story all together.
Not taking any online orders.
Quote by deadlydunc

another option is to go for a HT-5 head and get a bigger cab... maybe a 12inch speaker

you might want to check again on the vj speaker size. here is a vid of the Blackstar ht-5 head around 6 min mark he cranks the gain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQjADxog0Es
Quote by Horlicks
If it sounds anything like the HT pedals, it will sound awful. It's not even full-valve.
Yeah, and?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by beckyjc
What i was thought, but for that price, im guessing a fair bit of the circuit is solid state.

A fair bit of any amps circuit is solid state this would indeed be considered an "all valve" amp. this term really refers to the preamp and poweramp section being valve driven. Most capacitors, resistors etc are solid state units, so any amp will have solid state components.

As for the HT5, i have heard the head on a 1x12 cab, and wasnt too impressed. It is definately worth a look, and better than most in htis range, but as with the HT pedals, the amp is quite noisy. I do not mean really noisy, as to the point of it being unusable, which I actually found the HT pedals to be. Awful units imo. But the amp is not nearly as noisy, but noisy enough to bother me. The overdrive sounds great though when the thing is cranked.

Quote by deadlydunc

+1 for the head and cab imo the vjr sounds extremely boxy, and speaker dist kicks in at like 4, and the it is very unpleasant. This was not at all the case with the HT head and 1x12 cab. Only problem being the above mentioned noise.
Guitars:
Gibson L. P std. 2006
Gibson L. P studio
Höfner asj228
Main amp:
Marshall 2061x HW head
Marshall 2061cx cab
fx:
Stock BD-2
TU-2
verbzilla
C.M. Red repeat
T-rex F.T.
Practice:
Epi vjr head
2x12 V30 cab and 4x10 G10 cab
the ht-5 looks like a good amp but it says the preamp is based on the ht pedals range. if i have a ht-pedal on a decent amp what is the point? will the cleans be better or will it sound better because there is no extra preamp from the ac15?
Want.
Quote by Horlicks

what makes you say it's not even full-valve ?
Quote by The red Strat.
what makes you say it's not even full-valve ?

It only has two tubes, both of which are preamp tubes.
Quote by Horlicks
It only has two tubes, both of which are preamp tubes.

"I didn't realise that the 12BH7 is a preamp valve as it's the size of your average power amp valve. " - SG trasher.

I think a preamp tube with the size of a power tube will break up like a power tube, but i'm not sure.
Quote by The red Strat.
"I didn't realise that the 12BH7 is a preamp valve as it's the size of your average power amp valve. " - SG trasher.

I think a preamp tube with the size of a power tube will break up like a power tube, but i'm not sure.

I'm pretty sure that a single valve power amp can't operate in push-pull, and the site says it has a 'Unique Push-Pull Power Amp Design'.
The Z-vex nano used the same tube for pre & power and, and they are not even valves designed for audio use. Dose that make the nano not a 'full valve' amp?
Quote by Horlicks
I'm pretty sure that a single valve power amp can't operate in push-pull, and the site says it has a 'Unique Push-Pull Power Amp Design'.
You'd be wrong.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
You can go push-pull on a single tube - most tubes are Octal, basically double-sided, can push and pull on themselves. And take a look at an EL84 or 6V6 sometime - those are not big tubes, and they're power tubes. As far as I know this qualifies as a real tube head.
I have the head and a 2x12 marshall cab. I recommend that set up, because it is amazing.

no point in getting a 1 speaker cab. And the combo will be good, but the stack is better.
Quote by roythereaper
Nice bum >.> <.<
Quote by Horlicks

It is full valve you numpty.
Quote by ch0
I once trapped my left testicle in a vice. I have no left testicle.