Hi all, i have been playing for just under 2 years and have recently really started to get a hand on my playing and and beginning to progress quite quickly, which im really happy about. Recently me and my teacher have begun looking at the melodic minor scale as we mostly do jazz sort of stuff in our lessons etc, as it works on my chord knowledge etc.
Anyway i dont really play too much jazz myself, more rock and metal, and i said to him about maybe working on the harmonic minor instead. but he seemed to think melodic first would be better, or thats what we are working on atm.
My question is this, is the melodic minor scale used much in the music i like? i dont really think so? is it a useful scale to know? im working on harmonic minor in my time and have more success with that anyway so is melodic something im really gonna use?
cheers guys in advance.
tom
Both at the same time. Most guys use a combination of the two instead of pragmatically using just one. Probably best if you learnt the scale formulas before you read on. Repost time:

First off, to resolve whilst writing minor melodies, you probably should use the major seventh as it resolves really well to the root just about a semitone about it. Yes you can also resolve well by using the major second, but the major seventh works just as well and sometimes better.

If your moving from above the root to the seventh that is just below the root, and you want to resolve the melody, you probably should play a major seventh (meaning harmonic minor) instead of a minor seventh. This produces a strong resolution to the root.

If you want to hit that major seventh (so you can resolve to the root) without moving from above the root (so you can move upwards in pitch, not downwards), you probably should use a Major sixth instead of a minor sixth. This is because the augmented second (same as a minor third) step the minor sixth creates with the major seventh is dissonant.

If you dont want to resolve your melody, you should use the minor seventh, as it doesnt resolve as easy.

If you want to play perfect fifth, try to use a minor sixth instead of a major sixth as the minor sixth leads better to the perfect fifth.

If you want to sound eastern, try to play that minor sixth note before or after that major seventh note. For the best effect, dont play a root note and keep that dissonance hanging.

This is why many people consider writing in minor keys more difficult than major keys. The only note out of key note in major melodies that I would use regularly is the #4, as it moves really well to the perfect fifth (which can act like a second root; therefore resolving your melodies)
thanks alot, that actually really helped and i get it a lot more now! i have been working on both quite religiously over the past few day sand am seeing some good results so ill keep working on them. picking up the theory is great cos now i actually understand it more! cheers for your help!