So I took up lifting strings to make my playing comfortable. I pulled them as close to the body as possible and then lifted them up until they were making a satisfying voice. I'm not sure, if the final result was higher or lower than before, but I know that my guitar sounds uglier now. And also, is it normal that the lower 3 strings are lower than the 3 higher strings (it's because they started sounding better first, when I was lifting them up from down to sound good)? What should the height be from the neck? Any tips?
Thanks!
Last edited by Amarant at Oct 25, 2008,
I don't know what you mean by "lifting" your strings. If you took each individual string and literally pulled it as far from the neck as you could, then you probably just stretched it out a bit and need to retune it.
Schecter Gryphon; Ibanez AEG20E
Peavey Rage 158 ; TRAYNOR YCS50
EHX Big Muff Pi; Dunlop CryBaby GCB-95 (modded); MXR M-108 10-band; DigiTech JamMan Looper
Is it okay, if the higher strings are higher from the neck than the lower ones?
Quote by Amarant
Is it okay, if the higher strings are higher from the neck than the lower ones?

You mean you have adjusted the string height, via the saddles on the bridge?

Normally, the top E is set a little higher than the others, because it's a fat string and might buzz on a very low action.

Assuming your comfortable and the guitar will intonate properly, I can't see a problem.
I have it the other way. I have the lower strings close to the body. Whats the standard height, though?
Quote by Amarant
I have it the other way. I have the lower strings close to the body. Whats the standard height, though?

4/64ths. I think at the 17th fret, I THINK, not sure! Might be 14th fret.
^ that's 1/16th.

i've heard 3/16ths abofe the 17th not ringing, and i've heard 5/32ndths above the 12th ringing.
------

Shwiggity.
Quote by deftonesordie
^ that's 1/16th.

i've heard 3/16ths abofe the 17th not ringing, and i've heard 5/32ndths above the 12th ringing.

Adjust The String Height If your guitar has individually adjustable string saddles, there are generally tiny Allen screws on either side of the saddle that let you raise and lower the strings. Solid bridges generally have little thumb wheels or screws to adjust string height. As a rule of thumb, your open high E should be about 3/64ths of an inch from the 12th fret, and the open low E should be about 5/64ths of an inch up. Use that as a starting point and see if you get string buzz. If so, raise the strings until they're sufficiently quiet. If your neck is warped or badly seated, you may have to raise them quite a ways. If the resulting action is too high to tolerate, you'll have to go to a pro.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/document?doc_id=91772
Thanks! Have to start figuring out the foreign units again now (inch) .
Oh, and what about the height of the pickups? How far away should they be from the strings? The closer the better?
Last edited by Amarant at Oct 26, 2008,
^DiMarzio says to have the pickups 3/64'' from the strings when the strings are fretted at the 24th fret.
O.S.I.

Part of the 7-string Legion

Check out my profile
and my 7-string Ernie Ball MM JP-7 build

Quote by Amarant
Oh, and what about the height of the pickups? How far away should they be from the strings? The closer the better?

Just depends on the pickup and the sound you want to get out of it. Start as high as you can get without the stirings ever hitting the pickup and lower it by ear to taste.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
Just depends on the pickup and the sound you want to get out of it. Start as high as you can get without the stirings ever hitting the pickup and lower it by ear to taste.

How does the sound change when lifting the pickups up and down? I don't dare to test it yet.
Quote by Amarant

1/16h of an inch is about 1.5mm.

Take a look at a tape or ruler with both units on it.

I use an Allen key to get it rough, hold it under the strings against the fret and adjust the strings to it. I actually use a test light as well, clip it to the string I am setting and the other end to the Allen key, then adjust till the light just comes on.

As for pickups, a rough guide is 1/4 inch (6mm) from the strings.

If you go too close, the magnets can pull too hard on the strings and affect sustain, if you go too far away, you will lose output.
Last edited by Skeet UK at Oct 26, 2008,
Quote by deftonesordie
wow, that was a pretty good guess from memory! haha

Shame the units were wrong eh?
yeah, 1.5mm should do it...

pups, that depends on what your ear says. start low and raise them until u get the sound u want.
Gibson SG Faded
Epi VJ Stack

Quote by Øttər
Whenever I clean my guitars, my family wonders why it smells so good; I say that I exude a fresh citrus scent from hidden orifices.
They stopped asking
The closer your pickups are to the strings, the output you get, the further away, the less output. However, the pickup's magnets will pull on the strings more the closer they are, thus affecting the tuning.
Then there's this band called Slice The Cake...

Bunch of faggots putting random riffs together and calling it "progressive" deathcore.
Stupid name.
Probably picked "for teh lulz"

Mod in UG's Official Gain Whores