My apologies if this is not a new thread, the search for A minor really liked the letter "a" so I went through as many threads as I could before believing this specific question, might not be redundant.

My question, and thanks in advance for any advice or links to the answer:

I have become proficient finally in the A-minor pentatonic first position on the fret board. (I am close to speed and proficiency at the other positions too, finally, but not as much) I do understand that I need to practice the others, as well, and not just focus on the first position BUT, with that said, now that I can do the scale fast and perfect, can anyone suggest songs, riffs, practice appreggios, or how to practice THIS and only this position differently then...

0 - 3
1 - 3
0 - 2
0 - 2
0 - 3
0 - 3

???

I enjoy all types of music.
Thanks for any wisdom and insightful thinking, or redirection!!
You make a mistake when your practice positions. You don't need that, and it will only limit you when improvising. You need to know the notes of the scale, not positions or patterns. If you want to practice a scale, turn on a backing track in A minor and jam on it.

You can play the scale fast, so what? When you're playing guitar, do you think you'll be playing the scale up and down straight? You learn scales so you make music with them, you don't learn them for playing it in patterns. Read Josh Urban articles in the Columns section, it'll teach how to practice scales and how to actually LEARN them, and not memorizing shapes.
Hrm, I will read that thanks. I Have been concentrating on the key notes, but yeah, I thought i'd be practicing it straight up and down, and "skipping" notes, as you said. It was earlier advice I had been given and probably wrong. That's why I really appreciate the advice of any sort, and criticism.
" You learn scales so you make music with them, you don't learn them for playing it in patterns."

Um, after reading this, i'm not sure I understand. My question was also, how to make music with that pattern and songs or practice stuff that is already out there, to diversify my up and down playing.

Hope that helps explain it better or maybe I'm still not getting it.... *sigh*
Quote by symba05
You make a mistake when your practice positions. You don't need that, and it will only limit you when improvising. You need to know the notes of the scale, not positions or patterns. If you want to practice a scale, turn on a backing track in A minor and jam on it.

You can play the scale fast, so what? When you're playing guitar, do you think you'll be playing the scale up and down straight? You learn scales so you make music with them, you don't learn them for playing it in patterns. Read Josh Urban articles in the Columns section, it'll teach how to practice scales and how to actually LEARN them, and not memorizing shapes.

+1 on everything, and the Crusade articles

you need to learn the scales and the theory behind them, however you don't really need to learn to play the scales. Know where they are and what they do, but don't waste too much time practicing straight scale positions and certainly don't start worrying about how fast you can play them.

Scales are musical, but they aren't music.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com